IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check engine vsc light after changing alternator

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 07:06 PM
54321IS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine vsc light after changing alternator

i have a 07 IS250 my alternator burned up and I just replaced it now I have check engine light and vsc light on. I connected an ob2 and got these codes
P0348
C1201
help?
Old 06-11-18, 09:45 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Low battery and slow cranking speeds could be related.
Run it and see if they clear?
The following users liked this post:
kenji211 (01-08-22)
Old 06-12-18, 07:14 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Look like you damaged the crankshaft sensor connector ( you are not the only one got that mistake).
Old 01-07-22, 06:12 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

So my alternator died and I took it to the dealership to change it. When I got the car back, everything seems to be fine. I drove straight out to get some groceries and when I turn my car back on the CHECK VSC light came on. I checked the codes, and got P0348, P01201, and P01241.

I wonder if the codes were cleared when I got the car. Also, they said that my fusible link was burned after the alternator died and needs to be replaced as well. Do alternators normally take the fusible links with it?

I'm going to check with my service advisor to see what's up with these codes.

Edit: Attach images. What does History or Pending mean?

Last edited by nosurprise; 01-07-22 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-07-22, 08:01 PM
skyfox
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
So my alternator died and I took it to the dealership to change it. When I got the car back, everything seems to be fine. I drove straight out to get some groceries and when I turn my car back on the CHECK VSC light came on. I checked the codes, and got P0348, P01201, and P01241.

I wonder if the codes were cleared when I got the car. Also, they said that my fusible link was burned after the alternator died and needs to be replaced as well. Do alternators normally take the fusible links with it?

I'm going to check with my service advisor to see what's up with these codes.

Edit: Attach images. What does History or Pending mean?

1. If you drove the car to the dealer after your alternator was going out, YOUR FUSIBLE LINK WAS STILL GOOD. Did you have the car towed or did you drive it to the dealer? (see exception below on #3)

2. If you drove the car back home after dealer replaced the alternator, YOUR FUSIBLE LINK WAS STILL GOOD. (see exception below on #3)

3. I do not believe that you can start the car and drive it, if the fusible link was blown. Specially the link that also affects the alternator circuit. There may be multiple fusible links in the car for power windows and what not. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this and correct me if I am wrong on this.

Someone has to make a bone headed mistake and short something out for the fusible link to get blown. Since you didn't work on the car and if it is actually blown after you took it back for the 2nd time, guess who gets to replace it for FREE?

Ask the dealer if the bad alternator took out the fusible link ( a very remote possibility, but highly unlikely), when you brought the car in, how were you able to drive the car home with the new alternator without them replacing the blown fusible link?

Last edited by skyfox; 01-07-22 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-07-22, 08:34 PM
nosurprise
Racer

When my alternator died, my car lost power steering in a parking lot at night. I was sitting in the car deciding what to do -- whether to drive it home and then have it tow later. After a few minutes of idling, the headlights dimmed and I decided it's not safe to drive it and left it at the parking lot after shutting the car off. The next day I had the car towed. I did try to see if I can start the car in the morning -- the car cranked but didn't start.

The dealer had the car for 3 days (with oil change and brakes service). At the end of 2nd day which I thought I would get my car back, they called and said they noticed the fusible link fuse box was shorted out because of the alternator and needs to be replaced. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but now I don't think a lot of people talked about bad alternator killing the fusible link box as well.
Old 01-07-22, 09:03 PM
skyfox
Driver

When my alternator died, my car lost power steering in a parking lot at night. I was sitting in the car deciding what to do -- whether to drive it home and then have it tow later. After a few minutes of idling, the headlights dimmed and I decided it's not safe to drive it and left it at the parking lot after shutting the car off. The next day I had the car towed. I did try to see if I can start the car in the morning -- the car cranked but didn't start.

The dealer had the car for 3 days (with oil change and brakes service). At the end of 2nd day which I thought I would get my car back, they called and said they noticed the fusible link fuse box was shorted out because of the alternator and needs to be replaced. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but now I don't think a lot of people talked about bad alternator killing the fusible link box as well.
Now there is a possibility that may be the case. My alternator went out about 3.5 miles from my office. After the Dash lit up like a Christmas tree and I lost my power steering, engine showed no signs of slowing. So I risked it and drove it to my work (on surface roads of course) and the car made it 3,5miles without any issues other than loss of power steering. The engine RPM didn't drop, had proper acceleration, it didn't die while stopped at red lights. So I am guessing in its dying state, the alternator was still contributing its last efforts to try and charge the battery. I replaced the alternator in my office parking lot over the next weekend and had no electrical issues since then. In my last reply, I was alluding to the fact that he was able to drive the car home after dealer replaced the Alternator. Somehow I don't believe it would have been possible for him to do that, if the fusible link was blown.

Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
kenji211 (01-08-22)
Old 01-08-22, 05:29 AM
kenji211
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

When my alternator went at about 207k miles the lights on the dash all lit up like a Christmas tree, power steering went out, and the car started to drive sluggish. I pulled it into a parking lot, had it towed home, and replaced the alternator.

Since the battery was drained due to the bad alternator I had to put it on a trickle charger for a while after replacing the alternator. I had the same conditions as the OP in which the VSC and check engine lights were on and it would not start.

I kept it charging for a while and when the battery was sufficiently charged it started right up.

Summary - don't sweat it if you replaced the alternator with a known good one. Let the battery fully charge and it will start.
Old 01-08-22, 06:39 AM
nosurprise
Racer

What do you think of my scenario though where I got it changed at the dealership?

maybe I should have started a new thread instead of bringing back an old one
Old 01-08-22, 12:12 PM
grimlock
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternator on my 2009 IS250 went bad and I never have to replace the fusible link. Fusible link usually went bad when someone jumpstart the car and put the cable in reverse (it’s expensive mistake). If fusible link is bad, car will not start. I also upgrade my alternator to 200 amp as I have a good results of getting a better power, audio sounds and longer battery life in my SC400 after doing it. I noticed a better audio sounds in IS, I’m not sure with power as just also put Slick50 on it which usually gain power and miles per gallon. (Alternator on this 2009 IS250 are pretty hard to change as it has limited space, make sure you have all the tools like rachet extension).

Last edited by grimlock; 01-08-22 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-08-22, 01:04 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Originally Posted by grimlock
Alternator on my 2009 IS250 went bad and I never have to replace the fusible link. Fusible link usually went bad when someone jumpstart the car and put the cable in reverse (it’s expensive mistake). If fusible link is bad, car will not start. I also upgrade my alternator to 200 amp as I have a good results of getting a better power, audio sounds and longer battery life in my SC400 after doing it. I noticed a better audio sounds in IS, I’m not sure with power as just also put Slick50 on it which usually gain power and miles per gallon. (Alternator on this 2009 IS250 are pretty hard to change as it has limited space, make sure you have all the tools like rachet extension).
That's what I'm thinking now; that the mechanics there did something wrong when trying to jump start the car or charge the battery -- I was charged $350 to change the fusible link after a discount because they said they didn't notice the problem earlier. I also noticed that they cracked my engine bay cover lol
Old 01-08-22, 06:29 PM
skyfox
Driver

What do you think of my scenario though where I got it changed at the dealership?
Re-read my last response to you. Ask the dealer how you were able to drive the car home after they replaced the Alternator if the failing alternator damaged the fusible link?

Fusible Link
It is either GOOD or BAD. No degrading over time or making it weak before failure. The reason it fails is because somebody connected something in reverse polarity or somebody shorted (like touching a screwdriver blade that is grounded to a +12VDC battery terminal or a +12VDC connector pin) while working on the car. That is it.