IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help please with radiator issue!!!🙁

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 10:53 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help please with radiator issue!!!🙁

So this is the second time this has done this to me. First off I have changed my water pump once already about 4-5 years ago. Ok so first time was I went down to the store all the sudden I see smoke coming from the bottom of the car. I rush home and top radiator hose is off of the water pump. That was about 2 months ago. I go down to Oreily’s and get coolant to fill it up. Guy tells me it’s either your thermostat or water pump. My dad tells me it old hoses. Guy tells me from Oreily’s open the cap of radiator and if you see bubbling then your pump and thermostat are good. Well that was the first time around now mind you I rarely use this car. It sits in the garage for a quite a bit of time. So today I’m like let me run it cause it hadn’t ran in awhile we’ll I had to jump it for one cause battery was dead. So I let it run for about a good ten minutes all the sudden I see smoke again and smell radiator coolant. Well I open the hood and there again the top of the radiator hose was off of the water pump.

Now my question to you you guys is. Would this be a radiator hose problem because it would only pop off like that I would assume due to pressure of the heat. Could it be the thermostat not opening up and causes the hose to pop off due to pressure or could it be the water pump.

Any my help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-14-18, 11:16 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Are you reusing the stock hose clamps after the radiator change, or after market? I would check the hose clamps. Another thing bad radiator cap not releasing the pressure, but doubtful.
Old 01-14-18, 02:15 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Are you reusing the stock hose clamps after the radiator change, or after market? I would check the hose clamps. Another thing bad radiator cap not releasing the pressure, but doubtful.
Same hose ever since I first purchased the car back in 2006. But it wasn’t a radiator change it was a water pump replacement back 4-5 Years ago same hoses same clamps. So you think it could be the clamps. How about the hose?
Old 01-14-18, 02:55 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by RobzKar
Same hose ever since I first purchased the car back in 2006. But it wasn’t a radiator change it was a water pump replacement back 4-5 Years ago same hoses same clamps. So you think it could be the clamps. How about the hose?
Get some new hose clamps. OEM are designed for a one time use. You can purchase some constant tension clamps. These clamps work better to seal correctly. If in a hurry get some regular worm gear clamps for now at your local Auto Parts store. You'll need to bleed the coolant again if you haven't. Maybe get a new radiator cap while your at it too. If it hasn't been replaced in a few years.
Old 01-14-18, 03:40 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Get some new hose clamps. OEM are designed for a one time use. You can purchase some constant tension clamps. These clamps work better to seal correctly. If in a hurry get some regular worm gear clamps for now at your local Auto Parts store. You'll need to bleed the coolant again if you haven't. Maybe get a new radiator cap while your at it too. If it hasn't been replaced in a few years.
Ok. Kool. Thank you guys for the advice. Will try these and give results when done.
Old 01-14-18, 04:50 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

One question. What does the radiator cap have to do with it. And old clamps and hoses,, do they really slip off of the water pump that easy?
Old 01-14-18, 05:54 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Unless you did the work yourself and/or IF the hose was replaced, it could be a smaller diameter hence the oem clamp not having enough circular pressure to retain the hose.

The ideal hose clamp applies 360° of clamp force with no flat spots like a cheap worm drive clamp. With all the Plastic parts in use today, it is wise to seek out clamps that apply equal force in 360°.
The problem here is most clamps having proper coverage have a narrow range of use so you need to know the exact size of the hose.

Look on McMaster Carr for SS high quality hose clamps. They have them.

But ya, start with the hose clamp and let it come up to temp. The cap is the pressure regulator. If it exceeds the caps pressure it dumps coolant into the reservoir.
Old 01-14-18, 05:58 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Another thought is the water pump has no ridge to secure the hose. Please inspect outlet when clamp is changed.

Maybe replacement pump has a defect???
Old 01-14-18, 08:37 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it
Old 01-15-18, 08:48 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RobzKar
One question. What does the radiator cap have to do with it. And old clamps and hoses,, do they really slip off of the water pump that easy?
Might not be releasing pressure as the coolant expands. Your cheapest route is to replace the hose clamp and radiator cap.
Old 01-15-18, 09:32 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Might not be releasing pressure as the coolant expands. Your cheapest route is to replace the hose clamp and radiator cap.
Kool I will try that first. Thank you sir
Old 01-16-18, 05:49 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the car overhearing prior to the hose coming loose ? Have you started the car and watched the temp gauge ?