IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lexus noob

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 01:06 AM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default lexus noob

hi guys, im picking up a 2006 IS AWD tomorrow. this is my first lexus. Its got 141k. could anyone refer me to information you feel i should look at? anything outside of the norm i should be aware of? like, timing belts or the crazy maintenance schedules for BMW and Mercedes? this will be my car for at least a few years, as long as i dont crash it

thanks, Bryce
Old 12-15-17, 02:34 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

You should be in pretty good shape with it, as long as the previous owners did regular maintenance. Check it's history for that and if it's been in any accidents. A clean, non-modded, original car is best.
As far as the "as long as I don't crash it," there's no reason to go down that road. Practice paying attention at all times, do not drive with a phone in arm's reach, do not eat or drink while driving, and don't speed. Paying attention at all times is always #1, I can't stress that enough. You should always be scanning far ahead, knowing who's next to you, and who's behind you. Respect yourself, respect others around you, and you will last long. Good luck with the IS!
Old 12-15-17, 05:00 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is250 is known not reliable with carbon build up, cam gears noise. If the recall are done on those then it is fine I guess to buy!
The following users liked this post:
bryceis250 (12-19-17)
Old 12-15-17, 05:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I purchased a 2006 LS430 Oct. 2016 with 81k. Probably no surprise no problems in 19k miles. My advice would be to identify a Japanese indie near you, who installs customers' parts. This will reduce what a dealer charges by at least 50%. Also, I find with these cars there is an awful lot you can DIY, if you're into that...good luck.

Also, you'll see tons of OE Toyota/Lexus parts on eBay, new (in sealed bags), for much less than list, sometimes 50%+ off. As it was explained to me, the reason is the US Distributor has been cut out of the picture. If they're not, then 31% off list is the most I've seen....
bryceis250 (12-19-17)
Old 12-15-17, 05:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
Is250 is known not reliable with carbon build up, cam gears noise. If the recall are done on those then it is fine I guess to buy!
Is there a walnut blast procedure, like on DI'd BMWs? Just curious...
Old 12-15-17, 06:11 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Is there a walnut blast procedure, like on DI'd BMWs? Just curious...
yes, there is a DIY thread on here, or you can try to find a shop to do it for you. No shops around me that will work on a Lexus, they only do BMW.
Old 12-15-17, 06:15 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Common problems with the ISx50:
1) front inner tire wear
2) water pump failure
3) rear brake caliper seizing
4) carbon build up (mostly the 250)
bryceis250 (12-19-17)
Old 12-18-17, 12:15 PM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

2010 IS 250 with 95K miles purchased for 14K out the door. Still amking payments but i have not had this for almost a year. No problems at all. Tires are expensive as they are different sizes. Alot of forum post show this. Let's see here the carbon build up issue takes the lead. Sometimes in drive or reverse the RPM will jump and you can feel it in your seat like the Engine is coughing. No one around me does walnut blasting for a lexus. The dealership can give you a Top header clean and use some product which you will notice and feel how smooth it drives after. The car is dependable no matter what they say about it. Have not done any water pump replacement or brakes. Just oil changes which 3 of them were free. This is my first Lexus and I have had a handful of other cars. I recommend it but just know that the lower the year the car does begin to show it's age. Then the repairs can be a bit costly compared to Economy cars. Also if you still new to driving or student learner, get something that you can "CRASH" so you dont break the bank. Lexus owners pride them self on paint Quality so any chipping of paint or rims is like a Big No No. No 1 here is gonna have your back if you crash a nice car like that. Once you pick up the car as you stated, you should come back here and post about it. Anytime you buy a car and take it home, thats when you notice more things then you did in the parknig lot of the place that sold it to you. other than that good value for 2006 with 141k. How much did you pay just curious?
bryceis250 (12-19-17)
Old 12-19-17, 10:27 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EthanV
the free car fax knock off i read online said only the airbag recall from last year was undone. I dont know if this was the full information, as it was the first time i found it a free carfax.
Old 12-19-17, 10:38 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XSV
Common problems with the ISx50:
1) front inner tire wear
2) water pump failure
3) rear brake caliper seizing
4) carbon build up (mostly the 250)
thank you ! i will have this all checked out. as far as carbon build up, I found this article here: https://www.torquenews.com/1083/lexu...-you-need-know.

what are your thoughts?
has the water pump issue been resolved in aftermarket pump or is it something else?

what does the tire wear come from, alignment? rear brake caliper aftermarket part resolve issue? are there TSB on these issues?

thanks man!
Old 12-19-17, 10:57 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drizell
2010 IS 250 with 95K miles purchased for 14K out the door. Still amking payments but i have not had this for almost a year. No problems at all. Tires are expensive as they are different sizes. Alot of forum post show this. Let's see here the carbon build up issue takes the lead. Sometimes in drive or reverse the RPM will jump and you can feel it in your seat like the Engine is coughing. No one around me does walnut blasting for a lexus. The dealership can give you a Top header clean and use some product which you will notice and feel how smooth it drives after. The car is dependable no matter what they say about it. Have not done any water pump replacement or brakes. Just oil changes which 3 of them were free. This is my first Lexus and I have had a handful of other cars. I recommend it but just know that the lower the year the car does begin to show it's age. Then the repairs can be a bit costly compared to Economy cars. Also if you still new to driving or student learner, get something that you can "CRASH" so you dont break the bank. Lexus owners pride them self on paint Quality so any chipping of paint or rims is like a Big No No. No 1 here is gonna have your back if you crash a nice car like that. Once you pick up the car as you stated, you should come back here and post about it. Anytime you buy a car and take it home, thats when you notice more things then you did in the parknig lot of the place that sold it to you. other than that good value for 2006 with 141k. How much did you pay just curious?
thanks Drizell! your so right. i have noticed alot! unfortunately more then i care to admit. after about 200 miles owning the car the tire gauge alert came on and freaked me out. the next morning i come out and start the car ( very cold day) and i got a CEL for "check VSC". the car smelled like gas bad on my first fill, but like a super ****ing idiot i topped off, even knowing it was a big no no. i dont know why i did it
Also, the dip**** that i bought it from told me it runs synthetic and that he put synthetic oil in it. I pull a service record form 2015 of a previous owner and it was changed with conventional oil! what do I do? i heard you dont run synthetic after conventional .

its giving me a problem starting too. out dong errands. ill have to hit the bottom twice. it spit a little. its not good because its happening too frequently
Old 12-20-17, 06:41 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by bryceis250
thank you ! i will have this all checked out. as far as carbon build up, I found this article here: https://www.torquenews.com/1083/lexu...-you-need-know.

what are your thoughts?
has the water pump issue been resolved in aftermarket pump or is it something else?

what does the tire wear come from, alignment? rear brake caliper aftermarket part resolve issue? are there TSB on these issues?

thanks man!
Water pump issue hasn't really been resolved, just that it typically gives out after 120,000 kms from what I know
the tire wear comes from toe deflection under thrust loads, primarily braking, RR Racing sells the USRS and FIGS sells their super pro bushings that is a simple install, but will sacrifice a little ride comfort given the more rigid bushing
the rear caliper issue is due to the design of the glide pin design, usually replacing them with a remanufactured caliper should do the trick but it sort of depends on your luck, some members have had to replace them multiple times - an aftermarket BBK setup would resolve the issue since it changes the entire caliper design but $$$, IS350 rear calipers share the same problem since they are just slightly larger versions with the same design

make sure to get the transmission fluid changed, some people never change the fluid because they claim lifetime and end up having to replace solenoids or entire transmissions because of it

Last edited by Aspect; 12-20-17 at 06:50 AM.