IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Carbon Buildup fixed, lower octane gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 07:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 323 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by heliskiier
Almost every auto maker on the planet recommends 93 octane, or says requires.
Where on earth do you get this from? Documentation, please!
Old 06-22-17, 03:12 AM
heliskiier
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Where on earth do you get this from? Documentation, please!
http://www.roadandtrack.com/about/a31295/high-octane/
Can't get much clearer than this...
Old 06-22-17, 04:55 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Almost every auto maker on the planet recommends 93 octane, or says requires. Not because it can be a problem for the car running 87, but because the ECU will adjust the timing etc to 87 and produce less performance, which to auto makers means that their/your car doesn't perform like they say it will. I can live with 10-20 less HP most of the time and save 30-50 cents a gallon (or a bit over $15 bucks a fillup). I can always fill up with 93 when I feel like it or, just pop a bottle of octane boost in for way cheaper. The ECU will adjust back very quickly and your on fire again. There are absolutely no harmful effects to any OBDII motor of putting in regular. Look it up. Google it. Research it.
I really don't mean to be combative, but I'm going to be. Perhaps you can point out some accredited list of all the auto makers on the planet that recommends 93 octane. I can pretty much call BS on that statement, but you seem to be convinced that this is a fact. Also can you show me a study where these cars made by these automakers that recommend 93 octane have been put thru dyno tests to prove this supposed loss of 10-20 HP loss you claim and that in long-term use does no damage to the engine? I mean you seem to state these as facts and you're advising people based on your unsubstantiated facts. I think it's fair to ask for some sort of backup to these claims, I've seen far too many times where someone claims things to be a fact and when it turns out to be false they say, "Well, I thought that was the case".
Old 06-22-17, 05:01 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

http://www.roadandtrack.com/about/a31295/high-octane/
Can't get much clearer than this...
Geeze, Man! That article is about people using premium gas when it's NOT recommended. The contrary that you have extrapolated is not a fact!

"With 16.5 million U.S. drivers having used premium fuel despite the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation"
"High-performance engines take in higher-octane gasoline because they need it to operate at their peak potential"
"What AAA found out was that premium gasoline in a car designed for regular didn't produce better fuel economy, reduce pollution, or make your car go faster—in short, all it did was take a bit more of your money."
"Researchers tested different grades of gasoline in a variety of engine types, checking everything from power output to tailpipe emissions. And they found no benefits of higher octane." That is a test for using higher octane gas in engines where the manufacturer did not recommend higher octane.

You are spreading bad advice based on your twisting of that article. PLEASE STOP!!!
Old 06-22-17, 05:20 AM
heliskiier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Geeze, Man! That article is about people using premium gas when it's NOT recommended. The contrary that you have extrapolated is not a fact!

"With 16.5 million U.S. drivers having used premium fuel despite the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation"
"High-performance engines take in higher-octane gasoline because they need it to operate at their peak potential"
"What AAA found out was that premium gasoline in a car designed for regular didn't produce better fuel economy, reduce pollution, or make your car go faster—in short, all it did was take a bit more of your money."
"Researchers tested different grades of gasoline in a variety of engine types, checking everything from power output to tailpipe emissions. And they found no benefits of higher octane." That is a test for using higher octane gas in engines where the manufacturer did not recommend higher octane.

You are spreading bad advice based on your twisting of that article. PLEASE STOP!!!
Really? Bad advice? Show me one thing that proves that lower octane causes any mechanical issues in cars where premium is recommended and I'll stop. Let's see...Acura, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porche, and a large variety of other performance mfgs all recommend (or say require) premium gas. Please, use Google. What I was saying is that you don't need to run 93 or 91 even if the mfg recommends it. That's all I was saying. Period. I challenge you to show me otherwise. Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. Just maybe you are incorrect. There are no mechanical issues either short-term or long term to using lower grade. The only issue is that the IS 250 gets carbon buildup. It's bad design...not the gas. Don't try to tell people that which is just not true. I think I can safely say this, being a GM master mechanic with a 400hp 2000 SS Camaro (which also recommends premium gas) for which I've done the engine work myself. I can run 87 through it all day for years and years. I've been inside that motor multiple times over the years. If I want it to run 11.5 or Road Atlanta, I put 100 in. No difference in appearance or wear using 87 in there as compared to a new GM motor. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch...
Old 06-22-17, 05:23 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Really? Bad advice?...
Yep, really bad advice. You cannot prove a positive with a negative. You sir, must prove your advice. I simply see no proof that you have provided to back up your advice. So I will say it again. Really bad advice based on ZERO fact.
Old 06-22-17, 05:29 AM
heliskiier
Driver School Candidate

Yep, really bad advice. You cannot prove a positive with a negative. You sir, must prove your advice. I simply see no proof that you have provided to back up your advice. So I will say it again. Really bad advice based on ZERO fact.
The key is...recommended or required. Recommended means you can run anything through it with a minor performance drop and no mechanical fears. Required means you can run 87 through it a good amount of time, but mostly premium. Both grades have the additives that are beneficial to keeping motors clean. Google the darn issue before you flame me please. Do some research. I can send you hundreds of links where it's been discussed and analyzed if you can't find them on the net. Join the 21st century and go see for yourself. It is not bad advice and it's based on fact. End of discussion for me. Believe what you want. It appears that you have decided to do so in the presence of plenty of info that says otherwise.
Old 06-22-17, 05:33 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

It appears that you have decided to do so in the presence of plenty of info that says otherwise.
Please provide some of this "plenty of info that says otherwise" to back up your conclusions. You made the statements to not listed to Lexus on this one based on "plenty of info" I simply want to see some definitive info other than your continued claims that states such as facts.
Old 06-22-17, 05:47 AM
heliskiier
Driver School Candidate

Please provide some of this "plenty of info that says otherwise" to back up your conclusions. You made the statements to not listed to Lexus on this one based on "plenty of info" I simply want to see some definitive info other than your continued claims that states such as facts.
Now, I must fully clarify what I said so that I'm 100% giving good advice.

87-recommended...zero problems, none.
87 required-yes, CAN cause problems in long term use under certain circumstances.., IF you go to car's performance limits a lot (i.e WOT). Now, really how many of us go at 90-100% WOT often? 100% WOT is for races, 0-60 times and quarter times and the occasional 60-80 pass. Maybe 5% (if that) of driving time over the life of the motor. If you don't hear ping or knock, it couldn't have hurt. If you do once or twice, you'll know for sure and you won't do it again. A few won't hurt anything.

Now I'm done. You can find all the info you need yourself. I'm not going to do for you what you can so easily do yourself. Geez..I feel like I'm on Facebook now in a political discussion...

Last edited by heliskiier; 06-22-17 at 05:55 AM.