IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need to set parking brake to start engine??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 12:57 AM
JimKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Need to set parking brake to start engine??

Simple question - do you HAVE TO set the parking brake (and push on the brake pedal) before the START BUTTON light turns GREEN and you can start the engine?
Or is it just the brake pedal and parking brake doesn't matter?
I have an 06 IS350 engine/tranny swapped into an older Toyota. I have the start button, smart key ECU, ID code box, etc, wired up per Lexus wiring diagrams with the exception of the MTX data link between the smart key ECU and the body ECU. I didn't think the MTX link would be needed. I can only get the start button to cycle between ACC and IG-ON (indicator stays ORANGE). The start button indicator doesn't turn green when i press the brake pedal.
Old 05-11-17, 03:01 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

You just have to step on the main brake pedal. It doesn't matter whether the parking brake is on or off.
Old 05-16-17, 12:54 PM
JimKing
Driver School Candidate

Still no good. I think the Power Source Control ECU, which the START BUTTON is connected to (and controls its indicator LED light), needs to know that the shifter is in PARK before it will turn the light GREEN and allow you to start the engine. The only way this can happen, since the shifter position goes directly to the engine ECU, is if the shifter state is transmitted via the CAN bus to the Power Source Control ECU..

Can someone check if having the shifter in any position other than PARK prevents the START BUTTON light from turning GREEN? Either stop the engine with the shifter in neutral, or use the Shift Lock Override button to move the shifter out of park when the engine is off.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-17, 09:29 AM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JimKing
Still no good. I think the Power Source Control ECU, which the START BUTTON is connected to (and controls its indicator LED light), needs to know that the shifter is in PARK before it will turn the light GREEN and allow you to start the engine. The only way this can happen, since the shifter position goes directly to the engine ECU, is if the shifter state is transmitted via the CAN bus to the Power Source Control ECU..

Can someone check if having the shifter in any position other than PARK prevents the START BUTTON light from turning GREEN? Either stop the engine with the shifter in neutral, or use the Shift Lock Override button to move the shifter out of park when the engine is off.
Thanks!

you can start the engine in any mode. You must have wired something wrong.

Like all push push to start cars, it's just the brake and push button. No parking brake necessary.
Old 05-18-17, 07:20 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by JimKing
Thanks!
The light only turns green when it is in Park or Neutral. I turned the car off in Neutral, then stepped on the brake as I moved the shift lever to each position, and you can see it switch between orange and green.
Old 05-19-17, 12:09 AM
JimKing
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that helps but is confusing at the same time. From the wiring diagram (I have an actual 700 page factory 2007 IS wiring diagram) it doesn't look like there's any way for the engine ECU, or the Power Source ECU, to tell what position the shifter is in UNLESS the ignition is already in the ON position. Ignition switched +12v goes to the common on the shifter position switch, then to one of the P, R, N or D terminals on the engine ECU. I must be missing something. Bichon, what year is your car?

I've ordered one of those OBDII -> USB clone cables that allows you to use older versions of TechStream and will see if that turns up any Toyota specific codes.