CAR-DA 10.4" tesla style head unit for Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 09:22 AM
QuocTran
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this your same unit?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...0017.2.HWahQE#
It looks like there are extra ports where your wires might fit. Does the back of yours look like this?

The wiring diagram says nothing about air bags either...

Also, if you are in contact with the engineer, perhaps you can persuade him to send you the source code so we can take a look at it.

Last edited by QuocTran; 04-27-17 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mysta (02-27-18)
Old 04-27-17, 06:24 PM
MattaS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes... its the same one

if you download the manual .... you will see that its a CAR-DA unit

and also the seller confirmed it on skype...

Last edited by MattaS; 04-27-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 11:59 PM
MattaS
Rookie

hi all.. i want to sahre this private message from mthornto88... so we all can know the issues with car da unit...
Hi Mattas, based on your last post about the passenger airbag being the issue, I think you just need to match up the wiring to for that. It looks like the radio supports that feature from the pictures I see. It's on the bottom with the passenger & security line. You may have to cut the wire from the plug harness and connect it to the wiring harness provided from the vendor. From this diagram,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-swap.html

it looks to be PA - ON (I assume this means Passenger On) J54-6 wire since you said you didn't have the navigation unit.

From this picture, I think the connectivity is there. It's just not matching directly with the plug and play harness. This picture just shows the wiring but I can't read the labels.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1kgf7Q...Xq6xXFXXXh.jpg

It would be on connections on the left with the green wires. Maybe there is a manual that came with the headunit. See what you can find. I am interested in buying the radio. But the car needs to pass inspection.

my answer:
hi mthornto88
its good to know that you are interested also in this unit too... there are many others that are waiting for the issues to be resolved
the picture for the wiring harness you post is for the nav swap... mine was none nav- so different wires and canbus.. you can see within your picture in the right that there is a wiring connector from J53 (nav unit) to J54 (non nav) - the unit itself have a J54 plug within it
the main issues with this unit is that when they build it.. they build it on CHINESE is250 model... so it have no passenger occupancy system nor passenger air bag indicator within the clock assembly... so its not a perfect fit...
i have figured which plugs within the J54 needed to activate the indicator - its IG+ PAON P-AB... they are controlling the passenger airbag indicator.. but i dont know how to connect them?? which resistor to use?? or its just a simple diode?? i have no idea about this circuit..

i am in contact with the manufacturer also i get contact with the hardware factory (that produce the electrical board).. meanwhile no success..

the last answer from CAR-DA guys... it work well in china and Taiwan.. and i got no answer since then..

another issues with the unit: it have no micro dust and pollen removal button; it not support solar sensors when you are on AUTO a/c mode; the sound comes just from the anterior speakers.. rear speakers are dead.. steering wheel call answering buttons are not working or faulty working...

and in the button line - i am using the unit for two months now.. and i am still not comfortable controlling the A/C while driving ... they need to switch it to the top of the screen so it will be more comfortable...

that's it.. its your decision now... if you want i will give you my contacts so you also can negotiate.. i think we all bought a perfect car and our lexus deserve the best.. and meanwhile this unit is not the one.
Old 05-21-17, 09:25 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MattaS
i have figured which plugs within the J54 needed to activate the indicator - its IG+ PAON P-AB... they are controlling the passenger airbag indicator.. but i dont know how to connect them?? which resistor to use?? or its just a simple diode?? i have no idea about this circuit..
I'm not sure how comfortable you are with doing this, but you can determine if adding a light source/resistor would work by doing the following. You may need a multimeter for testing.
1. identify the specific pin in J54 that turns the passenger airbag indicator light on (looks like you already know which pin).
2. identify the ground pin in J54
3. connect only those 2 wires to the OEM unit and see if the airbag indicator in the dash goes off. You can buy some wires with a solid core to make one side of the connection easier by simply sliding the wire in, but the other side will be little difficult without a spare plug.

If that fixes the issue, it can be assume that connecting another LED light to just the ground and IG+ PAON P-AB would work. You'll need to measure the voltage coming out of IG+ PAON and find a matching LED and resistor if needed. There is a chance this step might break something ... though not likely.
Old 05-21-17, 11:49 AM
MattaS
Rookie

with your experience.. is measuring the resistance from the original unit will give me the info needed??
i cant figure out how this system work.. i googled many hours and cant find the exact circuit diagram... and i know for sure that this can be done.. cause scosche done it.. you can see with their unit...the passenger airbag indicator get 3 wires.. while passenger seatbelt get 2...
i have already opened a thread asking dudes who install scosche which wires to use and to where but i got no answer...
Old 05-21-17, 04:05 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I've never really deal with this other than what some people had posted.

It might be more complicated than I thought with the IG+ wire going in as well. It's hard to know what that wire is doing. You can't measure the resistance of an LED. You could measure the voltage of all 3 wires as the car turns on and see if it will give you any clues. You can measure the voltage drop by connecting a multimeter to one of the wires and ground. You can also find the voltage across the LED by probing P-AB and PAON. You can guess what kind of wattage LED they're using with the voltage, but to know for sure you need to measure the current going in.

There is someone trying to do something similar in an ES: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...rol-es350.html

You can also subscribe to toyota TIS for a few days and download all the wiring diagram you need: https://techinfo.toyota.com I'm not sure if it has the detail that will help though.
Old 05-21-17, 09:47 PM
MattaS
Rookie

I have already all the wiring diagrams.. by checking them i got this conclusion about the airbag light.. that paon pab and ig is the blugs.. but how to connect them is the problem...

already posted in the ES thread.. but no reply.. his solution could help..

my last reasonable solution is to know scosche wiring and circuit... which will help a lot..
Old 05-22-17, 10:32 AM
nosurprise
Racer

The P-AB should connect to the negative of LED and PABON should connect to the positive. The IG+ is somewhat an unknown; if I have to guess is that it's connected to a timer delayed relay that turns the LED off after a few seconds. I can't remember that's what the OEM light does or not. You can confirm some of these by testing the voltages on the pins.
Old 05-22-17, 10:48 PM
MattaS
Rookie

here are some of the info that i have gathered:

when i connect toyota techstream i got this:
diagnostics via techstream
searching the lexus is250 workshop program and got this:

and those are the wiring diagrams attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1.pdf (43.7 KB, 263 views)
2.pdf (63.2 KB, 175 views)
12.pdf (40.4 KB, 557 views)
Old 05-22-17, 10:50 PM
MattaS
Rookie

i dont think that its a simple diode or resistor wiring.. its more complicated circuit.. and i cant do any testing cause i dont wanna miss with the airbag system..
Old 05-23-17, 06:23 PM
nosurprise
Racer

hm, yes, understandable. Anyways, after seeing the electrical signal diagram, I don't think the IG+ is what gets connected. There appears to be 2 LED lights, one for Airbag ON and another for OFF. What's likely in the scosche unit's 3 wires are: 2 power wires for ON and OFF lights and 1 ground wire for both lights.
Old 05-23-17, 08:51 PM
MattaS
Rookie

Oh i forget to tell that i found this while searching for a solution:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/air-bag-light-after-radio-install-347345/#/topics/347345?page=1

One guy with a subaru forster have the same exact problem...

subaru wiring diagrams provide exact circuit wiring and diodes.. they just blug two diodes btw the ground and the two other pins..

i couldnt find such a circuit diagram for a lexus or a toyota.. and i am so uncomfortable to do such a thing with the lexus.. i dont want the air bag to blow up on my face...

meanwhile the best reasonable and safest thing is to know how scosche done it - exact pins, circuit and diodes...

i will chech the connections btw pab, paon, and ground within the original unit with a resistor meter.. i will inform you about the results..
Old 06-28-17, 05:16 AM
eykash
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattaS
Oh i forget to tell that i found this while searching for a solution:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle.../347345?page=1

One guy with a subaru forster have the same exact problem...

subaru wiring diagrams provide exact circuit wiring and diodes.. they just blug two diodes btw the ground and the two other pins..

i couldnt find such a circuit diagram for a lexus or a toyota.. and i am so uncomfortable to do such a thing with the lexus.. i dont want the air bag to blow up on my face...

meanwhile the best reasonable and safest thing is to know how scosche done it - exact pins, circuit and diodes...

i will chech the connections btw pab, paon, and ground within the original unit with a resistor meter.. i will inform you about the results..
Hi, MattaS. Did you finally solve this issue?
Old 06-28-17, 09:26 PM
240harrier
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to confuse anyone but would a simple airbag canceller possibly work? The canceller works to trick the ECU thinking that the airbag connectors are all attached, intact, work as normal, no airbag warning lights anymore. It is same one used to cancel the airbag warning lights when installing aftermarket seats be that, Recaro (the cancellers came with the seats kit when purchased brand new), Bride, Sparco, or whatever else reputable brands available out there. If this would work, Lexus/Toyota airbag canceller resistance is 2.0 Ohms with Bride part numbers: AN51NPO. Another important advice is to use those vampire clips instead of splicing the airbag wires, else, you are risking the airbags to blow up in your face. I couldn't find my Recaro canceller part numbers somehow but the Bride will work just fine. I will post the Recaro part numbers once I managed to find the box..

By the way, before go any further, FWIW, this is coming from 2is JDM cousin, Toyota Mark X GRX130, and both mostly shares the same parts. And yes, the ohm measurement is applicable on both cars

Last edited by 240harrier; 06-28-17 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 02:48 PM
MattaS
Rookie

hello
after reading the diagrams i understand how the air bag light work..
it got the power from IG+ and then it send it to PAON or PAB which in turn connected to the central airbag ecu..
i think that the solution is to connect two resistors 1K and two diodes btw these 3 pins..
i send the solution for the engineer... but he dont want to deal with it...
and i also got all the diagrams for the unit and how the G54 plug work whithin it... the havent connect the PAON and PAB at all...

and again i dont want to mess with the airbag system so i give up on this unit...

another issues is:
1- no sound within the rear speakers
2- not all the steering wheel buttons work
3- there is no pollen cleaner button
4- the solar sensor for the AUTO A/C not connected and the unit is not compatible with them

and if any one want the unit ... PM me

Quick Reply: CAR-DA 10.4" tesla style head unit for Lexus IS