IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Change all four tires at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 09:42 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by knyg
get a good tire alignment. Your wheel specs may be wrong. Cost maybe $40 for one. Misaligned wheels causes wear on tires faster, especially bad toe alignment.

if you don't want to spend money on a set of 4 tires, you could buy two. But you should always put the two new tires on the rear wheels. Regardless of your drive train, rwd awd or fwd. it will help you grip more during wet conditions.
Is is only applicable if you are not running staggered wheels (wider wheels in the back), which is how the IS comes from the factory. So, if you were to buy new fronts, you should not mount them in the rear because the tires are not the same size.
Old 04-02-17, 06:00 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
Is is only applicable if you are not running staggered wheels (wider wheels in the back), which is how the IS comes from the factory. So, if you were to buy new fronts, you should not mount them in the rear because the tires are not the same size.

im saying if you were looking to buy two tires. Get new tires that are the size of the rear. Of course you don't buy front sized tires and try to mount onto the rear 😂 (Assuming all four tires are worn and needs changing)
Old 04-02-17, 06:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,371 Posts

^^^^I think you've dug yourself a deep enough hole Why not just lick your wounds and stop posting in this thread If you're looking to buy just 2 tires, buy and replace the ones that are the most worn!

Lou
Old 04-02-17, 06:43 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Just take them to discount tire around here, they'll fix you up. They are so adamant that new tires must be put on the rear, when I bought two new fronts, they insisted on putting them on the rear. When I told them no, they mounted them on the front rims, then rotated them to the rear.

I have to argue with their "tire experts" every time I go there. Those rear wheels just barely clear the front calipers, I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if they didn't.

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 04-02-17 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 07:39 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by knyg
Assuming all four tires are worn and needs changing
Yes, if all 4 tires are worn and need changing, you should replace all 4 tires. If for some reason you can only afford 2 tires, yes, put them on the rear, and get new front tires as soon as possible. That was never the question or topic of this thread though, lol.

Jeff