ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Change all four tires at the same time? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/851720-change-all-four-tires-at-the-same-time.html)

yjy4321 03-31-17 02:19 PM

Change all four tires at the same time?

The tires from the factory wear differently. The front tires wear faster than the rear. The front and rear tires have different size on IS 250. Maybe this could be the one of reasons why they wear different rate. When the front tires are due, I changed all four tires at the same time. Now I can see that the front tires wear faster than rear tires again. It's almost time to change the front tires again. But my rear tires have more threads left.

Do you guys also have this issue?
If so, do you guys change all four tires at the same time?
Shops usually have deals for buying four tires. So I need to see if changing all four with a discount is worth more than changing two at a time.

Aspect 03-31-17 02:54 PM

Are you rotating your tires? Keeping optimal pressures? You should replace your tires when they've hit the minimum tread depth. Seems like you threw away perfectly good tires. It also depends how you drive. The front tires are primarily steering and braking the car versus the rears which are just accelerating the car. You can buy 4 tires with the discount and just swap the ones that are necessary and keep the others in storage until the rest need to be changed.

yjy4321 03-31-17 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Aspect (Post 9820776)
Are you rotating your tires? Keeping optimal pressures? You should replace your tires when they've hit the minimum tread depth. Seems like you threw away perfectly good tires. It also depends how you drive. The front tires are primarily steering and braking the car versus the rears which are just accelerating the car. You can buy 4 tires with the discount and just swap the ones that are necessary and keep the others in storage until the rest need to be changed.

Front and rear are different size and my tires are directional tires. So I cannot rotate tires. I tried to check tire pressures every month. But sometimes, I forgot to check for a while.
I don't know my driving habits, but my car has 93k miles and I still have factory brake pads on all four wheels and my second set of tires. Most of my drives are on freeways. So is changing only two tires at a time okay? Do yours wear about the same rate?

Aspect 03-31-17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by yjy4321 (Post 9820788)
Front and rear are different size and my tires are directional tires. So I cannot rotate tires. I tried to check tire pressures every month. But sometimes, I forgot to check for a while.
I don't know my driving habits, but my car has 93k miles and I still have factory brake pads on all four wheels and my second set of tires. Most of my drives are on freeways. So is changing only two tires at a time okay? Do yours wear about the same rate?

Well our cars have an issue with excessive wear of the inner tread on the front tires. I've read that this is because of negative camber induced while braking due to a soft trailing arm bushing. If you search the forums for excessive tire wear you'll see more about this. I rotate my tires so my experience hasn't been as drastic as yours. My summer tires - Michelin PSS - I've had to replace the fronts while the rear has a good chunk of tread left while my winter tires - Michelin X-Ice 3 I haven't seen such drastic wear.

ssmoked 03-31-17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by yjy4321 (Post 9820788)

changing 2 tires is perfectly fine. As long it on same axle.

Your fronts are negative cambers for maximum turning grip. So the inner tire wears faster than outside.

XSV 03-31-17 03:16 PM

No, I don't change all four tires. I find my rear tires wear out faster than my fronts. If the tires still have enough tread, no point in replacing them. Changing only 2 tires is fine. I haven't had any issues.

DennisMik 03-31-17 04:06 PM

About a year and a half ago I replaced the 2 driver's side tires. Doing just fine.

knyg 03-31-17 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by yjy4321 (Post 9820746)
The tires from the factory wear differently. The front tires wear faster than the rear. The front and rear tires have different size on IS 250. Maybe this could be the one of reasons why they wear different rate. When the front tires are due, I changed all four tires at the same time. Now I can see that the front tires wear faster than rear tires again. It's almost time to change the front tires again. But my rear tires have more threads left.

Do you guys also have this issue?
If so, do you guys change all four tires at the same time?
Shops usually have deals for buying four tires. So I need to see if changing all four with a discount is worth more than changing two at a time.

get a good tire alignment. Your wheel specs may be wrong. Cost maybe $40 for one. Misaligned wheels causes wear on tires faster, especially bad toe alignment.

if you don't want to spend money on a set of 4 tires, you could buy two. But you should always put the two new tires on the rear wheels. Regardless of your drive train, rwd awd or fwd. it will help you grip more during wet conditions.

Jeff Lange 04-01-17 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by knyg (Post 9821164)
But you should always put the two new tires on the rear wheels. Regardless of your drive train, rwd awd or fwd. it will help you grip more during wet conditions.

This does not work, as he said multiple times, the tires are a different size on the front and the rear. You cannot rotate them or mount them in different positions.

If you have enough tread left in the rear, yes, get the 2 new front tires.

Jeff

knyg 04-01-17 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange (Post 9821600)
This does not work, as he said multiple times, the tires are a different size on the front and the rear. You cannot rotate them or mount them in different positions.

If you have enough tread left in the rear, yes, get the 2 new front tires.

Jeff

huh? I didn't tell him to rotate his tires. I said if he bought 2 new tires, he should mount them to his rear.

Jeff Lange 04-01-17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by knyg (Post 9821697)
huh? I didn't tell him to rotate his tires. I said if he bought 2 new tires, he should mount them to his rear.

Okay, so he's going to replace his good rear tires and still have worn out front tires? How does that help?

Jeff

flowrider 04-01-17 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by knyg (Post 9821697)

No matter the size, huh:confused: and which tires are worn:uh:

Lou

knyg 04-01-17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange (Post 9821698)
Okay, so he's going to replace his good rear tires and still have worn out front tires? How does that help?

Jeff

sorry. You're right. I was assuming he was going to change his tires when he has 4 bad tires.

But if his front tires are finished, his rears are not going to have much thread life left. And if you put new tires in front, his car will fish tail in some situations because it'll be 100% thread front and 40% thread back.

Aspect 04-01-17 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by knyg (Post 9821900)
sorry. You're right. I was assuming he was going to change his tires when he has 4 bad tires.

But if his front tires are finished, his rears are not going to have much thread life left. And if you put new tires in front, his car will fish tail in some situations because it'll be 100% thread front and 40% thread back.

oversteer > understeer - imo anyways - you can correct for both yes and the general consensus is that understeer is safer but for an IS250 with like 160-170 whp I highly doubt you'd ever occur snap oversteer especially with traction control on

Tungstn-IS 04-01-17 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by XSV (Post 9820801)
No, I don't change all four tires. I find my rear tires wear out faster than my fronts. If the tires still have enough tread, no point in replacing them. Changing only 2 tires is fine. I haven't had any issues.

I agree with you, my rear tires wear much quicker than the fronts. Enough that I can replace them 2:1 compared to fronts which works out just fine. Now I do get my monies worth out of the rears, I run them down pretty good. But I typically been able to buy all 4, then buy 2 rears, then buy all 4 again, then repeat. I do about 25k on rears and 50k on fronts. Obviously I don't shy away from low speed throttle application in the sake of saving a dime on a tire, but I don't spin them or burn them down for the sake of doing it either.