IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Won't Start / No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 01:38 PM
smitty2919
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

As advanced as these cars seem to be, I'd be surprised if a simple starter fluid gets it running. I mean you removed plugs and a manifold and now it can't start. I feel like it's some weird electrical/connection thing. Also, did you even mess with the cam/crank sensors during the removal/installation? (I ask because I don't know where those sensors are even located)

Keep us posted.

You are 100% you plugged everything back in??

Last edited by smitty2919; 03-21-17 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gustervon (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 01:49 PM
gustervon
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As advances as these cars seem to be, I'd be surprised if a simple starter fluid gets it running. I mean you removed plugs and a manifold and now it can't start. I feel like it's some weird electrical/connection thing.
  • At ~$4 a can it is more than worth my time. I would agree that I feel it is something electrical.
  • As a note...I had the battery disconnected during the job, but upon inspection, there is quite a bit of corrosion on the negative terminal from the previous owner. I will clean this up too.
  • As it is just me working on this car...would spraying a healthy amount after the MAF right before the throttle body be enough / OK?
Also, did you even mess with the cam/crank sensors during the removal/installation? (I ask because I don't know where those sensors are even located)
Cam / crank sensors?

No, but should anything be done with them?

You are 100% you plugged everything back in??
  • 100% sure everything has been reconnected. I doubled and tripled checked upon both disassembles and reassembles. It does throw codes when something is not connected (ie. MAF harness).
---

I have it one a charge right now. As I mentioned earlier it came so close to turning over earlier.

Last edited by gustervon; 03-21-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 10:45 PM
gustervon
Rookie

Hopefully the final update...

It fired up! Took a few tries but here is how it played out...

I had the battery on a charger for ~5 hours and picked up some starting fluid.

Gave me the car a few chances to fire up without the starter fluid. It still struggled, but seemed like it really wanted to fire up.

Then I sprayed some starting fluid right before throttle body, reconnected the intake. Gave it about three more attempts and it finally took.

It sputtered like mad but I kept feathering the gas for a few mins finally just letting it idle and it did. After a few mins I shut it down and turned it on again. It kept firing right up and the idle kept smoothing out.

I took it out for about an hour drive and by the time I got home it was as smooth as butter.

I'm going to close the book on this one...

I have to admit... this was fun to sort out.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions!
Old 03-22-17, 11:16 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Awesome, a happy ending. Thanks for the updates. You did a great job....
The following users liked this post:
gustervon (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 07:14 AM
smitty2919
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome! Happy to hear I was wrong and it was simple as giving it a little starter fluid boost lol feels good to stick with it and get it figured out.

Now get a decent catch can on it and hopefully not have to clean the calves for a long time!
Old 03-23-17, 10:09 AM
gustervon
Rookie

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Awesome! Happy to hear I was wrong and it was simple as giving it a little starter fluid boost lol feels good to stick with it and get it figured out.

Now get a decent catch can on it and hopefully not have to clean the calves for a long time!
A catch can is definitely on the list.

I am leaning towards the starting fluid giving it the boost it needed, but I am not sure if it is persistence with trying to start it and getting the battery up to a proper voltage level.

Nonetheless, if I ever do this task again I will give it a shot of starting fluid.