IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How long are you waiting for your Sticky/Cracking dash recall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 02:31 AM
Rrotz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingdom934
I got called to do my door panels (finally!). Waited about over 3.5 years. Thats fine. Just glad its getting done. Dash was done half a year ago. Happy so far with it.

From what I heard with one of the servco reps, Lexus went with an eco friendly material.
Eh Brah, I'm in Hawaii too but I missed the cutoff date. I've filed with SERVCO here in Hawaii, is there any possible way I can still have the panels replaced even if it meant getting a lawyer? I'm thinking having a lawyer write a letter would be a hell of a lot less expensive than paying full price to replace all panels.
Old 07-19-18, 02:58 AM
Kingdom934
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrotz
Eh Brah, I'm in Hawaii too but I missed the cutoff date. I've filed with SERVCO here in Hawaii, is there any possible way I can still have the panels replaced even if it meant getting a lawyer? I'm thinking having a lawyer write a letter would be a hell of a lot less expensive than paying full price to replace all panels.
Yea...Not sure what you can do. When I bought my IS250, I made sure to go to Servco Lexus ASAP even though I didn't get the letter. They made an appointment after I called and they checked via VIN when I got there. I was on the list. The letter was sent to the previous owner (I am 2nd owner).

You went in and they told you were past the cutoff date already? Not sure what else you could do....maybe look for a donor car / accident IS who had their dash/door panels replaced.

IMO while I understand Lexus did give owners a few years, I kinda wish they would had extended it for the life of the car so If I picked up an older IS in the future ..lol ....but coming from a business standpoint, It wouldn't be cost effective and space effective to be repairing IS'es say 20 years down the road for warranty claims that by now could just be from nature wear and tear damage from the sun.

The Dash isn't too expensive, but I heard the door panels are pricey. Never seen a DIY on the dash, but seems like a half day job for the techs.
Old 07-24-18, 05:28 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

I waited about 4 weeks for all the parts to arrive.
Old 07-24-18, 05:37 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Any lawyers amongst us that can file a class action? This is ridiculous service and materials used on a premium luxury vehicle.
I have litigated for 11 years and see little chance of prevailing on dash issues on decade old cars. I’m not saying it’s an ok problem on a 10 year old car, but your not gonna sway a jury, let alone spend the 100k a class action suit costs to get a dash in a 10 year old car replaced.

By all means, our cars are considered old. Old cars have cracks and faded dashes. That’s exactly what the other side would say. Sorry friend.
Old 07-25-18, 04:56 AM
Rrotz
Driver

Does anyone know the part numbers of the new panels? There are a bunch on eBay. Some by the looks are pristine.
Old 07-25-18, 05:47 AM
Rrotz
Driver

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

I have litigated for 11 years and see little chance of prevailing on dash issues on decade old cars. I’m not saying it’s an ok problem on a 10 year old car, but your not gonna sway a jury, let alone spend the 100k a class action suit costs to get a dash in a 10 year old car replaced.

By all means, our cars are considered old. Old cars have cracks and faded dashes. That’s exactly what the other side would say. Sorry friend.
If I hired a local consumer protection lawyer, given the 2 seperate class actions for this particular issue would they be able to at least be able to negotiate or arbitrate the 25% rate?
Old 07-26-18, 01:21 AM
Dani2373
Driver School Candidate

C

Originally Posted by TakaM
It's not a "recall" but it was a warranty extension that's more than likely expired now. Most of us here are waiting for the parts but submitted the claim prior to warranty expiration.
There is hope... Got my dash replaced in December and Lexus of Tulsa (excellent customer service) installed my 4 new door panels last week!! Loved the loaner they gave me 2018 RX L hybrid.... Again Lexus of Tulsa class act cs!!! I called Lexus corporate to get the ball rolling this second time. Only took a month for for panels...Not saying it will work in your case but it's worth a try!! Now my daughter is happy driving the IS 250!

Last edited by Dani2373; 07-26-18 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to ad door panel pictures
Old 07-26-18, 01:31 AM
Dani2373
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know the part numbers of the new panels? There are a bunch on eBay. Some by the looks are pristine.
here's mine from my invoice last week .

Hope these #'s help
Old 07-26-18, 03:31 AM
Rrotz
Driver

1. I need to find out if the bulletin was sent to the previous owner, then I may have a chance.
2. How do I do that? Who do I call?
3. If it wasn't sent, why not
4. Will they at least be able to honor the 25% deal, then I wouldn't mind paying for the replacements.
Old 07-29-18, 02:32 AM
Kingdom934
Rookie

I just got my door panels replaced.

My car had the ivory interior leather w/ memory seats on both front seats and ML setup.

The P/N is not a number I can search up. It might be a 'kit' number. The door panel contained the entire panel + tweeters and grills. Also inlcuded new door handles and the inner plate for the inside of the door panel. They re-used the inner windshield seal, power control swtich, power control switch bezel.

This is how my old panels looked like

They were nice enough to take me in the next day once I told them I was ready (they are really trying to get everyone door panels swapped - they said they can't ordered any more until they 'get rid' of their new panels). I told them the reason why I can't come in sooner was because I didn't have a ride from the place and to work. The service consultant that I've worked with over this told me he'll check with his manager to see if they can get a loaner for me due to my situation.

So they gave me a free loaner for the day so I could commute to and from work. Next day I returned it back.

It was basically brand new.

1. I need to find out if the bulletin was sent to the previous owner, then I may have a chance.
2. How do I do that? Who do I call?
3. If it wasn't sent, why not
4. Will they at least be able to honor the 25% deal, then I wouldn't mind paying for the replacements.
I went to Servco. I inquired on this too when I first got the car (and when I was in line to get the panels). They told me the previous owner had received the letter and my address wasn't on file. It has since been updated.

If it's out of the period, its just out IIRC. The door panels are very pricey. Dash is cheaper. I believe the door panels are about $500 a pop.

Last edited by Kingdom934; 07-29-18 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-07-18, 11:42 AM
ejr003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sticky Dashboard, 2007 ES350

Funny. I got one of those service bulletins about sticky Dashboard,......when i called they said it would be 3-6 months.......I moved 300 miles and called local deal (total @ 1 year from notice) They replied the service notice expired, aka Tough....and highlighted to me it was a Service offering not a Recall" ......I escalated it and they called me from Calif and told me....it is what it is...............sad as my 1998 still is perfect ....no sticky and no cracks....but the 07.........so sticky, cell phone doesn't slide on hard left turn......sad........I tell my story all the time, talked my boss out of one.
Old 08-07-18, 01:33 PM
Kingdom934
Rookie

Originally Posted by ejr003
Funny. I got one of those service bulletins about sticky Dashboard,......when i called they said it would be 3-6 months.......I moved 300 miles and called local deal (total @ 1 year from notice) They replied the service notice expired, aka Tough....and highlighted to me it was a Service offering not a Recall" ......I escalated it and they called me from Calif and told me....it is what it is...............sad as my 1998 still is perfect ....no sticky and no cracks....but the 07.........so sticky, cell phone doesn't slide on hard left turn......sad........I tell my story all the time, talked my boss out of one.
just reading on what you said just, you waited 1 year after you received the notice? Just because you receive the notice does not mean you are automatically entitied for the dash or door panels.You have to go in to get it verified and at least noted so your request for it to be replace can be done. Was your dash already getting sticky prior to receiving your notice?

Yeah, it really sucks what happen to these cars. If you missed the opportunity to getting the dash replaced under the service enhancement, you are SOL and would have to pay for it.