IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350, 103k mi, Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 08:58 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS350, 103k mi, Alaska

Hello all! I used to be active on here a while ago, just moved to interior Alaska after a long stint in Hawaii Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.

I have ~103k miles on my MY06 IS350. I purchased the car with about 82-83k miles. So far, runs like new and I have performed oil changes about every 6k miles. The first owner has done all the factory recalls at the local Lexus dealership (they have records of all this). I have no idea if the spark plugs have every been replaced on this vehicle.

That said, what things would you do for optimal performance and longevity? I noticed around the 100k mark, it is recommended to replace some of the fluids: coolant - brake - differential -- which you do any of these 3? All? Second question, would you go ahead and replace the spark plugs on the car, just to be safe?

Also, for those of us in interior Alaska or Canada, would you go ahead and use a 0W20 or 0W30 synthetic for oil here on out? It routinely reaches -30 to -50F round these parts. Thanks much for your feedback.
Old 09-18-16, 09:39 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

For optimal performance and longevity I'd probably just make sure you're hitting all the major maintenance at their expected intervals. Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years, so if the previous owner has already done it last year I'd say it's fine to skip it. For powertrain items like the differential, I'd definitely switch them whenever the schedule calls for it. Not sure what weather is like in interior Alaska but I can imagine it isn't like Hawaii so I'd probably change the coolant and get the correct mixture for the temps there. Got my spark plugs changed as the schedule asked for and couldn't really tell if there was a difference past any placebo effect of putting new parts in. A few threads have shown the spark plugs to still be in pretty good condition after the change so it'll probably be up to you. I personally use 5W-30 full synthetic and have had no problems during the Canadian winters even when it gets to -40 Celsius or colder with wind chill.
Old 09-18-16, 09:42 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

I would do all the fluids, especially your coolant. At 100k, it's probably a good idea to change the spark plugs, almost always a good rule of thumb is 100k miles depending on driving styles, the engine itself, and the plug type. I had mine done at 95k. 0w20 is the preferred choice for cold start protection in colder climates, I would recommend it over 5w30 or any of the thicker weights for Alaska. Lexus started speccing 0w20 on these engines only to eek out a few more MPG's (about 1 or so extra which you will see with the 0w20)
Old 09-18-16, 10:22 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Thanks. I just got my car winterized (engine block heater, trans heater, oil pan heater, and battery blanket ran through a four-way splitter), might be overkill but we shall see what the winters bring. That's good to know that 5W30 is working well for you! I see 0W20 oil at Walmart and its about double the price of the other oils. I guess I will just use what the dealer or mechanic puts in.

I have had the car for closer to 3 years, and I personally have not replaced the brake fluid. Any good ways to check if its still holding up/needs to be replaced?

Originally Posted by Aspect
For optimal performance and longevity I'd probably just make sure you're hitting all the major maintenance at their expected intervals. Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years, so if the previous owner has already done it last year I'd say it's fine to skip it. For powertrain items like the differential, I'd definitely switch them whenever the schedule calls for it. Not sure what weather is like in interior Alaska but I can imagine it isn't like Hawaii so I'd probably change the coolant and get the correct mixture for the temps there. Got my spark plugs changed as the schedule asked for and couldn't really tell if there was a difference past any placebo effect of putting new parts in. A few threads have shown the spark plugs to still be in pretty good condition after the change so it'll probably be up to you. I personally use 5W-30 full synthetic and have had no problems during the Canadian winters even when it gets to -40 Celsius or colder with wind chill.
Old 09-18-16, 10:25 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

I just had the car winterized, and they said something about setting the coolant to -80F, not sure if they actually drained and replaced the coolant. Judging by the price, I'd say they didn't.

Your rec's are quite different from the guy above. That's interesting to hear about Lexus actually recommending the 0W20 oil. If they recommend it, I guess I should go with it! Do you have any resource to read up on it, or is there any particular brand of 0W20 oil that is preferred? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Zmon
I would do all the fluids, especially your coolant. At 100k, it's probably a good idea to change the spark plugs, almost always a good rule of thumb is 100k miles depending on driving styles, the engine itself, and the plug type. I had mine done at 95k. 0w20 is the preferred choice for cold start protection in colder climates, I would recommend it over 5w30 or any of the thicker weights for Alaska. Lexus started speccing 0w20 on these engines only to eek out a few more MPG's (about 1 or so extra which you will see with the 0w20)
Old 09-18-16, 10:36 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Re3iRtH
Thanks. I just got my car winterized (engine block heater, trans heater, oil pan heater, and battery blanket ran through a four-way splitter), might be overkill but we shall see what the winters bring. That's good to know that 5W30 is working well for you! I see 0W20 oil at Walmart and its about double the price of the other oils. I guess I will just use what the dealer or mechanic puts in.

I have had the car for closer to 3 years, and I personally have not replaced the brake fluid. Any good ways to check if its still holding up/needs to be replaced?
IIRC, it's every two years. I got mine changed this year which would make it a 3 year interval(not on purpose - previous owner changed it in 2013 and I bought the car Dec 2015) and I didn't feel any difference. Something about the brake fluid absorbing water from the moisture in the atmosphere over time or something along those lines.
Old 09-19-16, 01:15 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Re3iRtH
I just had the car winterized, and they said something about setting the coolant to -80F, not sure if they actually drained and replaced the coolant. Judging by the price, I'd say they didn't.

Your rec's are quite different from the guy above. That's interesting to hear about Lexus actually recommending the 0W20 oil. If they recommend it, I guess I should go with it! Do you have any resource to read up on it, or is there any particular brand of 0W20 oil that is preferred? Thanks!
You can't exactly set coolant to -80F if they didn't change anything, I would assume they changed something, or emptied a little bit and poured a non-mixed antifreeze in.

Let me correct myself, seems I'm a bit out of date. From the copies of the manuals for the different years I have, Lexus still has 5w30 in the books for the 2IS 350 while it has 0w20 for the 250. Note that the 3IS 350 specs 0w20 now, even though there were absolutely no changes to the engine itself. Also note that dealers typically just put 0w20 in regardless of years for the 350. IIRC, the 5w20 TSB was only issued for 06 models due to the camshaft noise I believe. What does this all mean? You're perfectly fine running 0w20 in your car, and it would probably be smarter in that super cold climate in the winter for it's start up protection.
Old 09-19-16, 08:10 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Cool, 0W20 it is Hope the one on the shelves at Walmart is okay. Its definitely not royal purple or amsoil, etc.

Originally Posted by Zmon
You can't exactly set coolant to -80F if they didn't change anything, I would assume they changed something, or emptied a little bit and poured a non-mixed antifreeze in.

Let me correct myself, seems I'm a bit out of date. From the copies of the manuals for the different years I have, Lexus still has 5w30 in the books for the 2IS 350 while it has 0w20 for the 250. Note that the 3IS 350 specs 0w20 now, even though there were absolutely no changes to the engine itself. Also note that dealers typically just put 0w20 in regardless of years for the 350. IIRC, the 5w20 TSB was only issued for 06 models due to the camshaft noise I believe. What does this all mean? You're perfectly fine running 0w20 in your car, and it would probably be smarter in that super cold climate in the winter for it's start up protection.