IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Intake system messing with sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 06:33 AM
akoster
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intake system messing with sensors...

So my 08 IS 350 came with an aftermarket intake system. It's amazing, but it does have an issue. It's causing some of the sensors in the computer to go off. For example, I've gotten the "Check VSC" come on. multiple times (meaning one of the cylinders is misfiring). When I've taken it to a mechanic though, they say the cylinders are fine. They said because the intake system is after market, it messes with some sensors in the car's computer. I had them reset the computer and the false senors reading have gone away so far. If they were to come back, however, is there anything else I could do to make it so that the intake system does not mess with the sensors?

Last edited by akoster; 07-01-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-01-16, 06:42 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by akoster
The my 08 IS 350 came with an aftermarket intake system. It's amazing, but it does have an issue. It's causing some of the sensors in the computer to go off. For example, I've gotten the "Check VSC" come on. multiple times (meaning one of the cylinders is misfiring). When I've taken it to a mechanic though, they say the cylinders are fine. They said because the intake system is after market, it messes with some sensors in the car's computer. I had them reset the computer and the false senors reading have gone away so far. If they were to come back, however, is there anything else I could do to make it so that the intake system does not mess with the sensors?
If you buy cheap Intake system yes you will mess up the ECU, the only company that makes good Intake System for Toyota Lexus is "Injen Technogy" clean your MAF sensor you probably did something to the MAF
Old 07-01-16, 06:51 AM
akoster
Driver

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
If you buy cheap Intake system yes you will mess up the ECU, the only company that makes good Intake System for Toyota Lexus is "Injen Technogy" clean your MAF sensor you probably did something to the MAF
Actually had to replace the MAF sensor. Haven't checked to see what brand the Intake system is, but I will check it out today. If that is the case, then I'll probably buy one from injen technology.
Old 07-01-16, 07:02 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Actually had to replace the MAF sensor. Haven't checked to see what brand the Intake system is, but I will check it out today. If that is the case, then I'll probably buy one from injen technology.
Get Injen Technology bro, i've been thru all Intake and the cold air one, just clean the MAF you'll be fine.
Old 07-01-16, 02:40 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Check your vacuum hose on the intake and make sure its tight. AFE is a good intake, Takeda is also good. ( the same as the AFE ; just cheaper) and Injen has been around forever of course. My light was coming on to. Bought a new screw type clamp and havent had the issue since.
Old 07-02-16, 06:45 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have to disagree, there are several intake systems that do not throw codes. I've used my K&N for 3 years, and never has it thrown a code. Check vsc does not necessarily mean bad Pistons. It's just the computer telling you there is an issue, extremely vague but unless you have a code, you won't know what it exactly is.

Being that you bought the car used, and you were not the one who installed the intake, I would check the MAF sensor along with all the hoses and plugs being properly secured and plugged in.

Injen, takada, K&N are all intakes that I know for a fact does not throw codes.
Old 07-02-16, 06:47 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
Get Injen Technology bro, i've been thru all Intake and the cold air one, just clean the MAF you'll be fine.

Only PPE actually made a real CAI, and they sold units in the single digits. It never made it to mass production. Even now I believe you have to custom request it.However I've seen people custom AND ghetto Fab one so I'm not too sure which CAI you may have tried. There just isn't a real CAI offered by any company for our cars.
Old 07-02-16, 07:04 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Icy350
Only PPE actually made a real CAI, and they sold units in the single digits. It never made it to mass production. Even now I believe you have to custom request it.However I've seen people custom AND ghetto Fab one so I'm not too sure which CAI you may have tried. There just isn't a real CAI offered by any company for our cars.
i agreed with you bro, thats why i told him if he buys cheap intake it will throw a System too Lean code, so i suggested him with INJEN TECHNOGY that i've been using for my TRD Solara 10+ years without a LEAN code, and ofcourse maintenance it right, change cone filter once a year during taking them off clean MAF sensor too.

i'm not a fan of Cold Air Intake, i like Short Ram due to the Canadian snow weather and other Rainy region weather. Also intake system doesn't gain that much HP 3-5 peak HP unless you get CAI + full exhaust system.

I like Intake because of the Noise and i don't get Too Loud Muffler Ticket by Cops. in Toronto Canada where i live, Cop hates loud muffler 110$ cnd$ ticket. One of the Cop told me My OEM TRD Muffler is too loud, ya man it's an OEM from Toyota and they said its loud.
Old 07-02-16, 12:46 PM
akoster
Driver

Ok so I noticed that this thing was unplugged and that also there is not an air cleaner box. Could this be throwing me the errors?
Old 07-02-16, 12:48 PM
akoster
Driver

Originally Posted by Icy350
I will have to disagree, there are several intake systems that do not throw codes. I've used my K&N for 3 years, and never has it thrown a code. Check vsc does not necessarily mean bad Pistons. It's just the computer telling you there is an issue, extremely vague but unless you have a code, you won't know what it exactly is.

Being that you bought the car used, and you were not the one who installed the intake, I would check the MAF sensor along with all the hoses and plugs being properly secured and plugged in.

Injen, takada, K&N are all intakes that I know for a fact does not throw codes.
I just had the MAF sensor replaced. So that is definitely not the issue.
Old 07-02-16, 01:49 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Can you trace back to where that cable you're holding in the picture goes?
Old 07-02-16, 02:05 PM
akoster
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Can you trace back to where that cable you're holding in the picture goes?
Well it looks like it could also connect to the MAF sensor, but something else is already connected to it. I never disconnected that cable so that is why I am confused as to why it is disconnected.
Old 07-02-16, 02:44 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It looks like your maf isn't bolted down correctly. This could be a contributing factor to your problem if the maf sits crooked or if there is a leak there causing turbulence. Next time the vsc light comes on see if you have a check engine light and see what codes get thrown. It could also be that your intake has a poor design where the airflow isn't smooth enough at the maf causing bad readings. This will throw off your AFR and make your car feel weird at part throttle. The car will learn and try to compensate but it's far from ideal.
Old 07-02-16, 07:57 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

I just had the MAF sensor replaced. So that is definitely not the issue.
DIckH just said it, that intake is cheap one get rid of it and get the good one. old dirty cone throw you a code too.

Also that unplug connector might throw a code too try to find to plug it back
Old 07-02-16, 09:18 PM
Bkhectic
Driver

Go for takeda intake. You won't regret anything about it.

Quick Reply: Intake system messing with sensors...