IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is this noise??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 07:18 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is this noise?? UPDATE

Hey everyone, so everything was going fine today until earlier when I heard some feint squealing sound coming from what sounded like the front of my car. I figured they were the brakes but upon braking there's was no sound. As I continued to drive the sound went completely away and I thought nothing of it.

Fast forward to tonight as I'm driving around the mall parking lot looking for a space to park, and the sound is back. Only much louder and very apparent. The sound is coming from the front driver side wheel and it is really bugging me that my car sounds like a cheap old GM car from 80's (no offense). What could this be??

I've heard that it could be my bushings, my sway bar bushing (idk what that is), or even my caliper sticking. Anyone here experience this? What was it?

I'm really hoping it's not my caliper because if I have to replace it then I'm gonna have to get it repainted again and that really freaking sucks since I just had them done like 2 months ago

Last edited by Tro209; 02-28-16 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-26-16, 10:57 PM
20LS01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

squeals are likely from drive belts. Did the noise come when you were braking?

Last edited by 20LS01; 02-26-16 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 11:00 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 20LS01
squeels are likely from drive belts. Did the noise come when you were braking?
No this is definitely not the belts. The sound happens from time to time and only when driving very slowly, like 0-10mph. As the wheel rolls the sounds increases. Braking does not cause the sound to happen so I doubt it's that. I can hear it coming specifically from the front left wheel too. I checked the engine and everything looks fine in there...
Old 02-27-16, 07:10 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

As long as the car is still braking proper, just monitor the issue and diagnosis it over time. Narrow it down to the bad component and fix it. Never heard a LEXUS wheel bearing squeal on its way out, so perhaps you can eliminate that as the issue.
Old 02-27-16, 07:25 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
As long as the car is still braking proper, just monitor the issue and diagnosis it over time. Narrow it down to the bad component and fix it. Never heard a LEXUS wheel bearing squeal on its way out, so perhaps you can eliminate that as the issue.
Yeah the car still break fine and everything and drives like normal. But it just started making this noise a few days ago I guess. Although at the time I thought it was someone else's car lol. But now that it is more obvious with my experience from yesterday I know it's my car and it's coming from that front driver side wheel. Is it dangerous to drive like this?? If it's the bushing or lower control arm the wheel won't just fall right off will it?
Old 02-27-16, 08:16 AM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe a rock stuck between the brake rotor and the dust shield? If the rock moves around the sound could come and go.

Or maybe the low wear indicator on the brake pad? Although once they start touching the rotor it almost never goes away.

Could be a wheel bearing but they usually have a roar type of sound, at least the ones I've had to replace in the past.

And could be a glazed pad/rotor.
Old 02-27-16, 08:23 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Soledad
Maybe a rock stuck between the brake rotor and the dust shield? If the rock moves around the sound could come and go.

Or maybe the low wear indicator on the brake pad? Although once they start touching the rotor it almost never goes away.

Could be a wheel bearing but they usually have a roar type of sound, at least the ones I've had to replace in the past.
Hmm i don't know about the rock since it only makes the sound when driving real slowly, and it disappears after I let the car sit for a little while.

As for the brake pad I just changed those about 2-3 months ago so I'm sure there still good. Also the sound doesn't come from when I brake.

Maybe it is a wheel bearing? Either that or a bushing like someone mentioned to me earlier.
Old 02-27-16, 08:27 AM
Soledad
Driver

Does it sound kind of like this?

Old 02-27-16, 08:37 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Does it sound kind of like this?

My Aston Martin Already Broke Down - YouTube
Well yeah it's kind of like that but certainly not as loud. But yeah whenever you the front driver wheel rolls it will make a sound similar to that. However only after driving for at least a few minutes. If it sits for a while it will disappear.
Old 02-27-16, 08:59 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Now that I think about that was more of a screeching metal on metal sound where's my car is just a squeaking/squeeling sound.
Old 02-27-16, 09:20 AM
Soledad
Driver

Ok yeah, then probably bushing or bearing like the others have said. Something intermittent like that would drive me crazy.
Old 02-27-16, 09:23 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Ok yeah, then probably bushing or bearing like the others have said. Something intermittent like that would drive me crazy.
I know right? It sucks driving a Lexus and hearing it squeak like something that cost much less would Once again no offense to anyone intended, just stating that a semi luxury car like this shouldn't make that noise. I hope it's just the bushings , that way I can just go ahead and buy the USRS from RR Racing already.
Old 02-27-16, 01:29 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 20LS01
squeals are likely from drive belts. Did the noise come when you were braking?
i noticed the other night my car makes a sound that seems its coming from inside the steering wheel when im braking at low speeds (like 5-10mph) and turning the wheel at the same time. When I try to re create the noise it doesn't really happen when I'm braking and not turning, but does so when i turn it even the slightest. i went to a transmission shop to ask about clunking when shifting to reverse and this because i thought it was a bad cv joint but he wouldnt even put my car on the lift to check... he said probably a drive train issue

anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
Parsa
Old 02-28-16, 07:47 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Update:
Now the sound happens if I turn the wheel all the way left or right a few times. Then it will start making a squeaky brake noise when rolling slowly again. What could it be ?
Old 02-28-16, 09:00 AM
Soledad
Driver

Can you get a video of it when it's happening and put it up on youtube for us?
I would try to recreate the sound with the help of a friend.

Last edited by Soledad; 02-28-16 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: What is this noise??