IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is this noise??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 08:05 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Eduskator
I never did those procedures on my cars and never experience any of the issues you're having. I don't know, may-be you have a full race setup with expensive pads and rotor.

I highly doubt dealerships or garages are doing that when changing your brakes... Doing 10 heavy brakings in a row? I'd love to see that.
No just your standard regular brake set up. I've never even heard of those procedures before either honestly. But I only mention it because at this point I'm getting desperate to stop that noise.

I know it's not a huge deal but just knowing my car isnt properly running bugs me very much. Also since I know for a fact that it's brake related that's probably not a good thing for my own safety since brakes are one of the most important aspects of a car.

I'm going to be doing a brake fluid flush this Saturday to see if maybe some fluid is causing in of the pistons to stick (buddy's words not mine). If not then he thinks it may be the rotors or even the pads themselves.

Last edited by Tro209; 03-09-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 09:52 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're going to waste your money...

Just get some new pads or try to get reimbursed for the ones you bought...
Old 03-09-16, 11:47 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Eduskator
You're going to waste your money...

Just get some new pads or try to get reimbursed for the ones you bought...
Well he's doing the work for free. If anything I'll just buy him some lunch lol. I help him out with some things so he usually returns the favor by doing things like this for me .

I already bought the brake fluid like 2 months ago when I originally planned on flushing it but never did it because I'm lazy lol. So I figured I may as well do that and then get the pads after if it still makes the sound. I hope that's all it is ..
Old 03-09-16, 12:35 PM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since the noise started when you changed the brakes, it's whether the pads or the discs (unless you messed up something else haha)...

It's a good thing to change, but I don't know how brake fuild would cause that. If it wasn't leaking before brake change, chances are almost impossible that it is now. What pushes back the pistons after braking is a spring I believe.

Since the new pads are thicker than the old ones, your piston is more compressed towards the inner of the car but I mean, that shouldn't cause any issue... The only thing that does is making your brake pedal firmer

Good luck! I think it's the pads.
Old 03-09-16, 12:39 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Did you narrow down the noise to being in the rear or front? If the rear, double check that your calipers are not seized. If they are, installing a new thicker pad might allow the pad to basically sit on the rotor, thus causing noise and EXCESSIVE heat build-up.

if the noise is in the front, deglaze the pads, and then do the recommend break-in procedure. Report back if the noise continues.
Old 03-09-16, 02:16 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Did you narrow down the noise to being in the rear or front? If the rear, double check that your calipers are not seized. If they are, installing a new thicker pad might allow the pad to basically sit on the rotor, thus causing noise and EXCESSIVE heat build-up.

if the noise is in the front, deglaze the pads, and then do the recommend break-in procedure. Report back if the noise continues.
Its in the front. On the driver said mainly but every so often on the passenger side as well. (I think) It only happens when it wants to so its kind of hard to diagnose.

Anyway we alread deglazed the pads (they were pretty glazed on the driver side) and thought that was the end of it. Until yesterday that is... ughhh.
Old 03-09-16, 06:37 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^Just do the "bed-in" procedure on an empty stretch of road. "Free fix"...if it works.
Old 03-14-16, 06:20 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Update!!!!

I changed the pads over the weekend and no luck It was quiet for like half the day and then I started to hear it again..

Bedding procedures were done and I had hoped that was that. Buddy says its gotta be the rotors then? What do you guys think??

Im very very eager to get my tune done ASAP. And this stupid noise is making me spend money I didnt originally plan to spend. Im thinking im just gonna say screw it and have the noise for a little longer until after the tune. Then I will buy the rotors, if they are even necessary. I mean they look fine to me and my buddy but thats the only thing we havent done.

Also the car drives fine. No shaking or shimmying (idk if I spelled that correctly). No vibrations or weird sounds other than that squeal that will randomly happen when driving very slowly (like through a parking lot) with my foot OFF the brake. If I press the brake it shuts up. What is this noise damn it!!
Old 03-14-16, 07:22 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Soledad
Maybe a rock stuck between the brake rotor and the dust shield? If the rock moves around the sound could come and go.

Or maybe the low wear indicator on the brake pad? Although once they start touching the rotor it almost never goes away.

Could be a wheel bearing but they usually have a roar type of sound, at least the ones I've had to replace in the past.

And could be a glazed pad/rotor.
Bingo.........my thoughts too. But it's NOT bearings and not belts. IT's gotta be caliper/pad issue. Something is obviously wrong and you should have inspected the whole suspension as well as the caliper/rotors. Shimming comes from uneven break wear, sorry had to put that in.
Look at the vid..........brake pads/clips ect make noises while driving. Hope it helps.

Old 03-14-16, 07:35 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by srt1
Bingo.........my thoughts too. But it's NOT bearings and not belts. IT's gotta be caliper/pad issue. Something is obviously wrong and you should have inspected the whole suspension as well as the caliper/rotors. Shimming comes from uneven break wear, sorry had to put that in.
Look at the vid..........brake pads/clips ect make noises while driving. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuScoY8Rhvg
Oh no it sounds nothing like that thank god. That would be embarassing to drive around town with that ungodly sound. That sounds like a screech if anything. Unless im hearing the wrong noise on that video...?

Anyways there is a video posted above I recorded with my phone to show the sound. It sounds like a typical brake pad indicator when they are wearing. Only this only happens SOMETIMES when I am coasting in D or very slowly accelerating (like in a parking space) with my foot OFF the brake.

As for brake pads my originals were a little glazed and we cleaned that off and the sound went away for like maybe a day and then returned. The pads were only about 2 months old and I only street drive my car. BUT for good measure we changed them for new pads anyway. And same thing, i though it went away but it just came back later that day while trying to park at a car meet. Which is very embarassing honestly..

He thinks the rotors may be the problem or something is causing the pad or whatever to stick or something like that. I was gonna try a brake fluid flush but right now I just really dont feel like throwing more money at something that is probably not even gonna fix the problem.

Oh and we checked the suspension and everything underneath the car and he said everything looks solid. The bushings, the sway bar links, etc. All look fine. And yes the sound is coming from the front.

Please help guys .. im tired of this stupid noise.
Old 03-14-16, 08:45 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Yeah I tried playing the vid, didnt work for me. It's difficult to pin point it without actually being there so I'm trying to throw possibilities. A actual vid would be the best way then post it. Drive it and record then download it.
Old 03-14-16, 09:59 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by srt1
Yeah I tried playing the vid, didnt work for me. It's difficult to pin point it without actually being there so I'm trying to throw possibilities. A actual vid would be the best way then post it. Drive it and record then download it.
Its actually a pretty good video. I dont have a camera my iPhone 6s plus was what I used. Which is indeed a very good camera for what it is. Anyway let me try and post a link for you. As for the direction of the sound , its the driver wheel.

Edit: Drats, after thinking I fixed the sound I deleted the video

Ill try and upload again tomorrow. I got the new S7 Edge now which has the best camera on a smart phone at the moment. So Hopefully, my video should be of a high enough quality that it can help capture the sound... if not then thats all I got honestly.
Old 03-15-16, 10:24 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I replaced the brake pads on my 2010 about 2 weeks ago and had squealing on both wheels. Turned out to be the metal shims(?) that go in the caliper for the ends of the brake pads. These shims were touching the rotor. these came with the brake pads and when I compared them to the original Lexus pieces, the opening for the rotor was almost 1/4 inch smaller. Put the Lexus parts in and no squeal.
Old 03-16-16, 04:18 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I replaced the brake pads on my 2010 about 2 weeks ago and had squealing on both wheels. Turned out to be the metal shims(?) that go in the caliper for the ends of the brake pads. These shims were touching the rotor. these came with the brake pads and when I compared them to the original Lexus pieces, the opening for the rotor was almost 1/4 inch smaller. Put the Lexus parts in and no squeal.
Bingo, had to be something simple. I knew I was missing something. Lol. Thanks for posting for all!
Old 03-17-16, 01:49 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DennisMik
But was your squealing constant or sometimes under specific circumstance? Mine only does it sometimes (no telling when it will do it). And only at slow speed (5-10 mph) with my foot OFF the brake. It sounds like a rotating squeal like it squeals in tune with the motion of the front wheel rolling at slow speed.

Also it only happens sometimes. There times where the car is as quiet as Lexus intended it to be. (Minus my exhaust lol)

Quick Reply: What is this noise??