IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lowering Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 09:04 PM
cyphcm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Help

I want to lower my IS250 AWD but I honestly don't know where to start wanna do it safely.
Old 10-30-15, 09:23 PM
PhanyPack
Driver School Candidate

Well I'm not an expert, but heres what I know.
1.You should first take your enviroment in consideration, because if you go to low in Texas, you might as well not drive. But idk how the roads are like in other states.
2.Consider how low you wanna go, depending on how low you go, you then should know what to get. Springs, Coilovers, or bags(Air suspension).
-Springs are a cheap method if you're looking for a small drop but not to agressive.
-Coilovers are nice because you can always change the height if you don't like the way it rides or look. Coilovers can get costy if you want a really good pair. But there are good pairs for a decent price.
-Air suspension is if you want it all. You can be slammed when you want and air your car up when you're driving. But there expensive as hell. About 2k for a decent one, maybe more
Old 11-01-15, 04:17 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

houston is bad, i went with koni yellow kit and i really love the drop,
Old 11-01-15, 02:12 PM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the f-sport springs this weekend on my is350awd and it looks great. Nice mild drop.
Old 11-01-15, 06:18 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

I've lowered my IS 250 AWD with F Sport springs and shocks after a year and change of research. I decided this over coilovers is because of two things:

I'm more of a set-it-and-forget-it person, so the simplicity of a fixed drop and having springs and shocks that were tuned for each other worked for me.

Coilovers with endless amounts of adjustments in ride height and comfort would drive me up a wall since I would probably never find the right balance (with my OCD). I'd probably fiddle with those settings until the sun goes down and back up.

If you go this route, I'd recommend the F Sport sway bars (front and rear) to make the suspension compliant and limit the travel of the springs and shocks (if Maryland has a lot of bumps in their roads). It gives the car a German-like sportiness like that of a sports sedan while maintaining a good balance of comfort that is familiar.

Old 11-01-15, 09:09 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

another thing to keep in mind is that people have had issues with vibration after lowering their AWD.
not sure how it's been solved but you may want to read up on it.
Old 11-02-15, 05:08 AM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dyongg
another thing to keep in mind is that people have had issues with vibration after lowering their AWD.
not sure how it's been solved but you may want to read up on it.
I have a slight vibration in drive while sitting at a stop sign or light, but not much more than I had with the stock springs. I did add the front and rear f-sport sway bar and it does make a huge difference. They compliment themselves quite well.
Old 11-02-15, 08:01 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got super low with bc coilovers on my is250 awd. I highly recommend them. We have terrible roads here, but I still went extremely low and even purchased some rca spacers to help with the vibration issue our awd cars have. I cambered a bit as well with the figs mega lca's in the rear.
It makes the car look 100% better and completely different. It is well worth it to go the coil over route in the first place. Pick your height, pick your stiffness and go from there -- either set it and forget it like people do, or play with it until your happy -- either way the opportunity and potential for adjustment is always there.
Old 11-03-15, 07:39 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shervin350
houston is bad, i went with koni yellow kit and i really love the drop,

Perfect . Looks so good with that drop. Love the sliver paint and love the side profile of the 2gen IS the car doesn't age.

Do you kno the specs of the drop front and rear?
Old 11-03-15, 05:05 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
Perfect . Looks so good with that drop. Love the sliver paint and love the side profile of the 2gen IS the car doesn't age.

Do you kno the specs of the drop front and rear?
thankk you sir, 1.9 all around, no rub no nothing on stock wheels, rides smoother than my stock shocks thats for sure, and is a pretty even drop
Old 11-03-15, 05:12 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

If you do springs, the factory struts aren't meant to handle a lower ride height, although you can, but added wear and tear, best bet is to get some f- sport struts as well to do it correctly. Also had extra vibration at a stop in gear at the light, nothing too crazy though
Old 11-06-15, 02:15 AM
jay350
Rookie

Go with coilover.. do it right the first time if u gonna buy spring and struts that will put ur price close to coilover.. the thing I hated about spring is it shorten the travel of ur shock so when u hit a decent bump it bottom out ur shock easily or u go with stiffer spring but ****tt ride quality.
Old 11-20-15, 12:52 PM
PhanyPack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tnoice
I just installed the f-sport springs this weekend on my is350awd and it looks great. Nice mild drop.
Pic? I was thinking about just getting f sport springs instead of coilovers since I'm on a budget.
Old 11-20-15, 01:35 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In the long run if you just do springs, you will need new struts eventually. This total of springs and struts will likely surpass the cost of a decent set of coilovers (not to mention labor twice).
If anyone needs a detailed explanation as to why coilovers surpass springs, please use the search box at the top or send me a PM. Everything has already been covered many times all over the forum. Having been down this road before (and still now), I would be more than happy to answer your questions.
No need to grow yet another thread on lowering a 2is (awd)
Old 12-24-15, 06:08 AM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shervin350
thankk you sir, 1.9 all around, no rub no nothing on stock wheels, rides smoother than my stock shocks thats for sure, and is a pretty even drop

I am looking at doing the koni yellow sport kit with h&r sport springs. I do have a question for you shervin350. Are all 4 koni yellows externally adjustsble? I know some koni yellows have to be physically taken off the car to be adjusted. Does the is350 kit allow you to adjust with the external wheel adjustors on all 4 wheels? Thanks!!