IS 250 Cutting out / Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 02:16 PM
Kwackers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 250 Cutting out / Not starting

Hi

My 2006 IS250 Auto 160,000 km is cutting out intermittently and not starting intermittently. It was recently serviced and I have been getting fuel in the same gas station for a number of years with no issue.

I received error code P12FF Electric Drive Unit

I actuated the rear fuel pump via diagnostics and it worked fine, I did not see an option to test the HP fuel pump attached to the engine!

I know a recall was issued foe the HP fuel pump sensor but I am unsure if this was done in Ireland.

Before I go stripping both fuel pumps is there anything I can check?

The car will not lose power or splutter, it will simply completely die and may or may not start again!
Old 08-06-15, 06:44 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah....see my post. I have a similar issue. My car won't start either, happened this morning. It keeps cranking but not turning and starting.
Old 08-08-15, 08:21 AM
Kwackers
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at in now so I'll update when I'm finished
Old 08-08-15, 09:00 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Keep us posted. Either way, I hope it's one of the pumps as I ordered the parts already.
Old 08-08-15, 12:51 PM
Kwackers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Deathrow23
Keep us posted. Either way, I hope it's one of the pumps as I ordered the parts already.
So I took out both pumps and cleaned every part I could and inspected all pipes and electrical connector. All seemed to be in good working order and found no dirt or anything that may cause an issue.

The engine unit is a simple pump work off the cam but does have some sort of solenoid / sensor bolted to the top. As the pump is mechanical this can be the only part of the pump that could go unless the pump its self catastrophically fails!

I also removed and cleaned the throttle body and when I started it up the revs were at 1600 rpm for a few minutes the all went back to normal.

The car has being idling and running fine ever since. while before it would not start or drive very far without cutting out.

So, have I fixed it by simply cleaning and re-installing everything? Who knows but i found nothing that would cause an issue and no faults are showing on the diagnostic.

Can you order the solenoid on top or does the complete unit need to be purchased?

May I ask the price? You cam PM me

Thanks
Old 08-10-15, 01:22 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

So you cleaned both the in-tank and motor-mounted fuel pumps?
Old 08-11-15, 12:02 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kwackers
So I took out both pumps and cleaned every part I could and inspected all pipes and electrical connector. All seemed to be in good working order and found no dirt or anything that may cause an issue.

The engine unit is a simple pump work off the cam but does have some sort of solenoid / sensor bolted to the top. As the pump is mechanical this can be the only part of the pump that could go unless the pump its self catastrophically fails!

I also removed and cleaned the throttle body and when I started it up the revs were at 1600 rpm for a few minutes the all went back to normal.

The car has being idling and running fine ever since. while before it would not start or drive very far without cutting out.

So, have I fixed it by simply cleaning and re-installing everything? Who knows but i found nothing that would cause an issue and no faults are showing on the diagnostic.

Can you order the solenoid on top or does the complete unit need to be purchased?

May I ask the price? You cam PM me

Thanks
i ordered used fuel pump tank assembly and the fuel pump/regulator in the engine. although used, they come with 30-90 day warranties, so if it doesnt work, i could return/exchange. really the only reason i ordered. no sense to pay the msrp even with a discount for brand new parts. the retail price for the engine fuel is about 900 and just the pump itself for the tank is about 300.
i found used ones for total of about 250.00. my car has 132k miles, so its almost time for another car. lol.