Rear End Collision Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 04:06 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Collision Advice

Hey.

Today I was involved in a three-car collision in which I was the third vehicle rear-ended and I hit no one. My bumper (ISF bumper on an is250) is pretty scabbed up, and my molded wald spoiler has paint damage. Since my trunk was pushed in a lot of paint chipped off and the bondo used to mold it. Here are a few pictures:

My question is in regards to insurance. Since my car is an is250, and I put the ISF bumper on it (because i was rear-ended in a parking lot before...hit and run...and paid out of pocket) does that mean my bumper is aftermarket even though it is an OEM lexus part?

Will my insurance classify it as after market? And if so, what can I do to ensure my paint job is fixed as well as my smashed bumper? I've grown fond of the ISF bumper and I really don't want to go back to the boring ISx50 bumper.
Old 03-25-14, 04:11 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They should send an appraiser to see how much it costs to repair and might offer you cash option. You can take that cash and bring to the shop at your choice. Second option is, with a collision like this, i think you should get a lawyer involved, you might want to check your body, neck etc to see any pain and go to see doctor now since it will be covered. Your health is more important than the car.
Old 03-25-14, 04:13 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They will pay for an exact replacement if you have receipts for the parts and labor charges. Otherwise you might be out of luck! For future reference, you could add aftermarket parts to your insurance policy as extras and it doesn't cost too much more.
Old 03-25-14, 04:18 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FSportIS
They should send an appraiser to see how much it costs to repair and might offer you cash option. You can take that cash and bring to the shop at your choice. Second option is, with a collision like this, i think you should get a lawyer involved, you might want to check your body, neck etc to see any pain and go to see doctor now since it will be covered. Your health is more important than the car.
i didnt feel like i got hit hard. i mean i've played rugby for 5 years.

Originally Posted by pheonix72
They will pay for an exact replacement if you have receipts for the parts and labor charges. Otherwise you might be out of luck! For future reference, you could add aftermarket parts to your insurance policy as extras and it doesn't cost too much more.
is this just for the state of california kinda thing? i do not have "aftermarket parts" on my insurance ...maybe i should add it.
Old 03-25-14, 04:30 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

If it is not your fault, the other insurance (not yours) will have to pay to fix and put it back as the way the car is before the collision. You also have the right to choose what body shop you want to do the repair.

I think adding the "aftermarket parts" to your insurance is national wide. It is good for comprehensive coverage. In case a tree hit your car and damage the aftermarket part or you lose your car, you can claim your insurance on the aftermarket parts you added on. However, in collision coverage, if it is not your fault, the other party is required by law to pay to get your car fixed the way it was before collision. They probably ask you for aftermarket parts receipt to justify the cost of repair though. You should keep receipts of the aftermarket parts in the future.
Old 03-25-14, 04:35 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

I believe it is nationwide to have extra coverage for aftermarket parts (these including body kit, audio/video equipment, performance parts etc...). I usually declared the value of the parts and dont have to worry about receipts when something happened)
Old 03-25-14, 04:37 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Note that adding too much aftermarket parts to your policy might trigger some increase on your premium as well since they are providing extra insurance on those parts.
Old 03-25-14, 05:11 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Note that adding too much aftermarket parts to your policy might trigger some increase on your premium as well since they are providing extra insurance on those parts.
You be surprised to see how little it is to have extra coverage! I have about $7500 worth of aftermarket/performance parts on the policy for my BMW Mcoupe. It is only cost me about $45 every 6 months (and the whole car worth maybe $30k).
Old 03-25-14, 05:40 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

pheonix72, wow, that is good to know. I'm about to add stuff on my policy for 2 cars. What insurance company do you have?
Old 03-25-14, 05:46 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Insuring your after market stuff isn't expensive as not having it. Like if you get your wheels stolen and not being cover for it. But yeah I come down to your insurance company. Usually when insuring thing they'll take a pic of your car to keep as proof. It also come down to the other party insurance if they wanna pay you for the is250 or isf bumper.
Old 03-25-14, 05:47 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

alright, thanks guys. hopefully i can get it back to normal without any headaches. i get enough at work
Old 03-25-14, 06:42 PM
ace4487
Driver School Candidate

To answer your questions, the OEM part is still considered OEM although it is from an ISF. If your insurance company was aware that you had that bumper prior to the accident , they most likely wont make a big deal of having to put on a ISF bumper over a is250 bumper. ( really depends on the adjuster ).

Having said that likeFSportIS mentioned above , the cash option is also helpful. Once you get it appraised and a estimate is on file from your insurance company ,you can take the cash option and fix the damages at a shop of your choice with the parts of your choice (ie. new ISF bumper )

Regardless you should be good in getting back your ISF bumper, good luck
Old 03-25-14, 10:17 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is NOT as difficult as people are making it seem. Just make sure to tell the body shop to order the F bumper and install it. I haven't priced the 2 bumpers but if it gets tricky you need to tell the insurance adjuster that you had an F bumper and provide a receipt. It'll all get painted when they do the rest of the car.
If you play rugby, then I KNOW you can take a hit! You may feel a bit sore in the next few days but just keep an eye on it. The previous advice is one of the reasons why insurance is so high. You can't see muscle strains on x rays. A nice professional massage would be nice through! Good luck.