IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Scary problem - unexplained acceleration in my is250

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 06:10 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BishopX
I'm not sure what specific case (out of the many) you are referring to, but the case involving my friend and his family that were killed in a Lexus due to this issue was settled out of court for ~$10 million. A dollar amount that is no where close to what their lives were worth. They actually just lost a Case in Oklahoma in October of this year regarding sudden acceleration. There is obviously an issue.

I doubt that this is the same issue, but just take it to a dealer and have it fixed. Cars decelerate when you release the gas not stay the same or accelerate in speed.
I am sorry for your loss and what happened in that accident. That was the first case of aftermarket floor mats covering and trapping the gas pedal, which caused all this "unintended acceleration" concern. That is why Toyota and Lexus shortened the gas pedals and programmed the brake override in all vehicles that needed it. But there is nothing wrong with their software, NASA cleared them.

This case has nothing to do with acceleration, or floor mats...the OP is simply driving the vehicle while the ECU has the idle raised to help warm up the engine. It is as simple as that.
Old 12-04-13, 06:15 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grambo
So you're telling me that every single one of your cars, when cold, can drive on its own at 40 to 50 mph?
So you are telling me that your car starts itself, puts itself into drive, then accelerates on its own and steers itself? That is what I would call "drive on its own."

This is the last time I will try and explain this to you...if the car is started cold in cold weather conditions, the ECU will raise the idle slightly for just a few minutes until the fluids reach normal operating temps. If you decide to drive the vehicle during this time, the idle will still be raised, so yes if you are stopped and let off the gas it will go a bit quicker than a lower idle, and yes if you are cruising it will hold a 1500 RPM which will result in a MPH because the transmission is engaged.

I don't understand why that is so hard to understand...good luck with the dealer
Old 12-04-13, 07:11 AM
Grambo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
So you are telling me that your car starts itself, puts itself into drive, then accelerates on its own and steers itself? That is what I would call "drive on its own."
I love how people in here have to manipulate words and think they are holy than thou. You obviously know what I'm talking about and watched the video.

As far as understanding this...I understand 100% that when the car is cold, the rpms will be elevated. HOWEVER, when you put it in gear, it is supposed to drop down. Having the car in gear, rpm's should not be at 1500rpms. I can drive my car for miles and miles without touching the gas pedal at 40mph. This is not normal (as agreed by the lexus techs who are trying to figure out what is wrong with the car). Not sure what is so hard to understand about this.
Old 12-04-13, 07:56 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Did a little test myself, about 30 degrees outside this morning. At a stop I was at about 1k and I let go of the break, it did 'pull' forward with more power than normal. So that as most of us agree is caused by the cold car and it just reving higher to warm up.

I will see how my car behaves at 40 mph tomorrow. I drive a AWD 350.
Old 12-04-13, 10:44 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BishopX
I'm not sure what specific case (out of the many) you are referring to, but the case involving my friend and his family that were killed in a Lexus due to this issue was settled out of court for ~$10 million. A dollar amount that is no where close to what their lives were worth. They actually just lost a Case in Oklahoma in October of this year regarding sudden acceleration. There is obviously an issue.

I doubt that this is the same issue, but just take it to a dealer and have it fixed. Cars decelerate when you release the gas not stay the same or accelerate in speed.
Dubious first post.
Old 12-04-13, 01:50 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grambo
I love how people in here have to manipulate words and think they are holy than thou. You obviously know what I'm talking about and watched the video.

As far as understanding this...I understand 100% that when the car is cold, the rpms will be elevated. HOWEVER, when you put it in gear, it is supposed to drop down. Having the car in gear, rpm's should not be at 1500rpms. I can drive my car for miles and miles without touching the gas pedal at 40mph. This is not normal (as agreed by the lexus techs who are trying to figure out what is wrong with the car). Not sure what is so hard to understand about this.
Dude, go and Google "high idle when cold" and you will find over 5,000,000 entries of any and all makes and models...and guess what they all say? IT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL...lol

I am done...peace out bro
Old 12-04-13, 02:23 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree that cars high idle when cold. Hell, every car I've own has. BUT idk about the 2IS but the 4GS only high idles in park and neutral until the engine temps are optimal. No matter what, the car will drop below 1k rpm if put in any other gear and will not high idle. If I start the car with the engine cold and immediately put it in drive, it'll drop down. Likewise if I then put it in neutral and the engine is still cold it will high idle. I'm interested in what the dealership finds.
Old 12-04-13, 04:58 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

To be REAL specific, yes...a high idle cold start is normal; no, your vehicle should not be propelled forward whether cold or not. There's a difference between the auto "hill-assist" AND what the OP is clearly showing in the video; that should not be happening. I agree you've done the right thing and brought the car into the dealership for review.

So has the dealership been able to duplicate the issue?
Old 12-16-13, 10:05 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Was there ever an update on this?
Old 12-16-13, 10:27 AM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chi123
Guys, this is not normal. My IS350 does the same thing when it's below 50 and not fully warmed up. When I let go of my gas pedal, it will maintain speed and not even slow down. It's almost as if my foot was stilling lightly pressing the gas. It will almost coast at 1500 RPM+. I know this is not normal since I work at a Acura/Lexus dealer and I've taken their loaners to get gas or a snack from the nearby 7 Eleven and I did not notice it happening on the loaner cars. Even when cold, they coast at about 1100 RPM and slow down when I let off the gas.. This started happening to me last winter and only occurs in cold weather. Definitely not carbon build-up since I had a new motor put in this summer and the throttle body is clean, so is MAF. I do have a CEL with code P0606 which is a faulty ECU but that too has been replaced about a year ago when this started happening but it didn't fix it.

OP, let us know what Lexus says. I've had the techs at my work check it out and none of them can figure out what's wrong and claim it's "normal" but still not 100% normal.
Umm why are you comparing an Acura here? I know Hondas and Acuras do seem to slow you down when you let off the gas but these are completely different cars. If you need to slow down, use your brakes. My old Ford truck and Mercedes didn't seem to slow me down when I let off the gas but my family's CR-V does. So what? If you don't like how the car feels, sell it and get a Honda (not targeting just you here, generally).
Old 12-16-13, 10:33 AM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is normal. There is no such thing as unintended acceleration. My car, as with many IS's will do this due to it not being properly warmed up. If this is a major concern for you, then do as the manual says and let your car properly warm up before you drive it. Interested in hearing what OP's outcome is.
Old 12-23-13, 10:27 AM
Cuztom350
Driver

Originally Posted by quick123
Was there ever an update on this?
Ya, the guy removed the video... Lol
Old 12-23-13, 10:32 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cuztom350