IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trade-In 2011 IS250 for Potenital 2013 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 09:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy
I think everything you just stated is pretty obvious. If the dealership wants to try and scam me I will obviously walk away. None of us are financially stupid, or we wouldn't be able to afford these cars.

Again, you would be surprised what the dealership offers when buying another car from them. Blue book is 28k for trade-in, and 30k private seller. Considering the fact that I will need to purchase a new car, if they simply knock 2k off the purchase price of the new car (which they may do on a 2013), then I am not losing money by trading it in. Last time I had mine serviced, they offered me straight-up blue book for my car. Keep in mind they will CPO it and sell it for 33k-34k immediately. This is still a great deal for them, and they will make up the loss of dropping the price of the new car by 2k.

As for the mods, if I trade in my 2011 IS250 for a 2013 IS350 all of them will transfer to the new car and therefore be removed anyways (just rims and coilovers FWIW), costing me ~$500.

You are correct that this is all conjecture, and that's why I would be curious to see what the dealership actually sold the 2013 for. I can just as easily sell mine private seller (have two offers for 30k right now) and buy another new car. Since I don't like the new IS, it will not be that. A 2013 IS350 is a different story though.
2K off the sticker of a new one is nothing. Anyone and everyone can get that. The outgoing IS should be discounted at least 4k off sticker. There are big incentives from the factory right now, as the company rolls out the all-new model. A true good deal for you would be to get high book for your trade-in plus 4k off the sticker on a new one. *Not going to happen.* It's one or the other. No dealer has given both benefits to a customer. Do not fall for what they tell you. It's all psychological jargon.

Let's go back to your black IS. If washed and waxed regularly, it can remain looking very nice. There's no chore in working on the appearance of your car. It's a treat and rewarding to be as one with it and see the good results. I once had a black car and enjoyed the upkeep because when it was maintained properly, everyone noticed and it looked great. Reconsider.
Old 06-15-13, 09:55 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A true good deal for you would be to get high book for your trade-in plus 4k off the sticker on a new one. *Not going to happen.* It's one or the other. No dealer has given both benefits to a customer.
Glad to see someone got the point. This is why I posted in response to the OP, to see what the dealer would actually be willing to do.

And for everyone expressing their opinion as fact, here is a fact; the dealership offered me $28k for my car on the last service in January, with no commitment to purchase another vehicle from them. That is ~$500 below dealer trade-in blue book. As Fizzboy stated, if they dropped 4k off a 2013 IS350 because they will make it back on the trade, I am still ahead of the game if I sold privately for $30k. I'm making the assumption that they would drop $4k off because they will make it back on the trade-in, which they would not if I sold privately. This is my leverage!

Again, I responded to the OP to see what kind of deal they cut him on a 2013 if he decides to do it. Obviously, if the dealer won't discount the 2013 enough to make it worth my while to trade in my current vehicle, then I can easily just sell privately, but I lose some leverage when purchasing the new car.

Good grief.
Old 06-15-13, 10:08 PM
class87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I already know that I'm at the losing end of whatever deal I do end up making unless I keep my current car. The fact that my color being black is just one of the factors on why I'm interested in switching. My current car does not have a navigation/rear view camera package and the HID headlights which is what I want.

I know it's not worth the $5,000-$10,000 loss that I might be facing. However, I do know someone that is interested in my car for $30K and like someone mentioned earlier about the new 2014 model might have an affect on pricing for the remaining 2013 models.

Again, thanks for all the feedback and advice.