Trade-In 2011 IS250 for Potenital 2013 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 10:55 PM
class87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade-In 2011 IS250 for Potenital 2013 IS250

Hi Guys,

Just hoping for some feedback. I currently own a 2011 Lexus IS250 (~12,000 miles) in So Cal. The car is in excellent condition.

If i were to trade it in at my local Lexus dealership and purchase a new 2013 Lexus IS250. Would I be getting a good value in return from my trade-in since I am trading back in a car that I previously purchased from them and instead purchasing a newer one and more pricy.

Kelly Blue Book current estimate:
$26K-$27K Dealership
$28K-$29K Private Party.

If the dealership were to sell my car in the current condition. They value you it between $33K-$34K.

Let me know if you need any additional information. Only reason this cross my mind is that I regret getting a black lexus as it constantly gets dirty. I'm also interested in the nav / rear view camera package as well as the HID headlights.

THANKS!

Last edited by class87; 06-15-13 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 11:28 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

I'm considering the same... only upping to a 350. I keep thinking that once they get a good stock of 2014's, there's bound to be good deals to be had on a 2013 350 collecting dust in the corner of the dealership somewhere.

Let us know if you pull the trigger, I'd be curious to see what they work out for you.
Old 06-14-13, 11:30 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

YOU'll always be better selling your car by yourself. You never get that money from a dealer. They are in business to make money from you, it really doesn;t matter if you got the car from them or not. I can see them giving you more like 22-23k
I would wait and get the 2014 model. why would you get the 2013, is basically the same car as yours. Mind as well save the money and get a 2011 with the colour and options you want.
Old 06-14-13, 11:38 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Well, speaking for myself, I do not like the 2014's.

And I would normally sell mine private seller, but the dealerships are hungry for lightly used cars they can CPO and push out the door.

I get a flyer once a week from my local dealership trying to entice me to trade mine in on a newer model, and they aren't offering too bad a deal to be honest. If they discounted a 2013 enough, it would actually be less out of my pocket than selling privately.

Last edited by Crispy; 06-14-13 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-15-13, 12:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

You are setting yourself up for a bad financial move. Here's why:
1) Dealer isn't going to give you squat for your car no matter what he tells you. All the claims stating they need used cars are gimmicks that all dealerships have pushed for decades. It's a ploy that a lot of people believe, but in reality, a dealer has a huge pot of cars to choose from via auctions. It's all B.S.. In the end of the day, a dealership follows the same protocol for every used car he brings in- to give low book. If he gives you more, the price will be taken out of the new car you buy. In other words, he gets you either way- either on the trade or the new car. There is no exception to this rule, as dealers are in the business to make big bucks off of people who trade in cars.
2) Your car is too close to the one you want. It really isn't worth the thousands of dollars it's going to take to trade in prematurely.
3) As someone said, you get a lot more selling privately. Put an ad in Autotrader and see what comes of it.
4) From the pics, I see your car is modded. Automatically deduct a few thousand off the selling price of your car because 99% of buyers out there look at a modded car as a liability and headache.
Old 06-15-13, 12:19 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

I think everything you just stated is pretty obvious. If the dealership wants to try and scam me I will obviously walk away. None of us are financially stupid, or we wouldn't be able to afford these cars.

Again, you would be surprised what the dealership offers when buying another car from them. Blue book is 28k for trade-in, and 30k private seller. Considering the fact that I will need to purchase a new car, if they simply knock 2k off the purchase price of the new car (which they may do on a 2013), then I am not losing money by trading it in. Last time I had mine serviced, they offered me straight-up blue book for my car. Keep in mind they will CPO it and sell it for 33k-34k immediately. This is still a great deal for them, and they will make up the loss of dropping the price of the new car by 2k.

As for the mods, if I trade in my 2011 IS250 for a 2013 IS350 all of them will transfer to the new car and therefore be removed anyways (just rims and coilovers FWIW), costing me ~$500.

You are correct that this is all conjecture, and that's why I would be curious to see what the dealership actually sold the 2013 for. I can just as easily sell mine private seller (have two offers for 30k right now) and buy another new car. Since I don't like the new IS, it will not be that. A 2013 IS350 is a different story though.
Old 06-15-13, 07:12 AM
Johnn22
Driver School Candidate

The question is... Do u really need to upgrade to 2013 model? Do u want to waste more money for small upgrade? There is no significant changes between 2011 and 2013. Just wait and think about the pros and cons.
Old 06-15-13, 07:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnn22
The question is... Do u really need to upgrade to 2013 model? Do u want to waste more money for small upgrade? There is no significant changes between 2011 and 2013. Just wait and think about the pros and cons.
Old 06-15-13, 07:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy
I think everything you just stated is pretty obvious. If the dealership wants to try and scam me I will obviously walk away. None of us are financially stupid, or we wouldn't be able to afford these cars.

Again, you would be surprised what the dealership offers when buying another car from them. Blue book is 28k for trade-in, and 30k private seller. Considering the fact that I will need to purchase a new car, if they simply knock 2k off the purchase price of the new car (which they may do on a 2013), then I am not losing money by trading it in. Last time I had mine serviced, they offered me straight-up blue book for my car. Keep in mind they will CPO it and sell it for 33k-34k immediately. This is still a great deal for them, and they will make up the loss of dropping the price of the new car by 2k.

As for the mods, if I trade in my 2011 IS250 for a 2013 IS350 all of them will transfer to the new car and therefore be removed anyways (just rims and coilovers FWIW), costing me ~$500.

You are correct that this is all conjecture, and that's why I would be curious to see what the dealership actually sold the 2013 for. I can just as easily sell mine private seller (have two offers for 30k right now) and buy another new car. Since I don't like the new IS, it will not be that. A 2013 IS350 is a different story though.

If you can sell get $30K,take it.You're not going to get anything near that trading it in.
Forget about Blue Book.You won't get $28 on a trade.
Old 06-15-13, 08:13 AM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, people always want black cars until they own one!
Old 06-15-13, 09:05 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gveng
lol, people always want black cars until they own one!
Word. My fist car was black...never again!
Old 06-15-13, 04:19 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnn22
I agree with Johnn as well. If you're trading in for a different Lexus model entirely or IS350, ISF, or even the 2014 IS (which you said you didn't want), then at least you are getting something with a significant change. Going from a 2011 IS250 to 2013 IS250, there isn't a big difference.
Old 06-15-13, 05:16 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wunko
I agree with Johnn as well. If you're trading in for a different Lexus model entirely or IS350, ISF, or even the 2014 IS (which you said you didn't want), then at least you are getting something with a significant change. Going from a 2011 IS250 to 2013 IS250, there isn't a big difference.
I agree with Johnn as well. OP was going to trade an IS250 for an IS250. I would only do it if trading UP to an IS350, and only if the price was right. Plus 2011 to 2013 means I can transfer all my mods.
Old 06-15-13, 08:23 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Makes absolutely no sense to trade a 2011 to a 2013, there is no appreciable difference so you aren't getting anything by doing it other than losing money. You will lose money by trading, that is guaranteed. Anytime you buy/sell/trade a vehicle you lose money compared to just staying pat with your current ride. Don't believe what a dealer is telling you.....they will take it out of your hide when the deal is done. You are not going to outsmart the dealer, that is their business. Other than that, it's a great idea.
Old 06-15-13, 08:48 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Makes absolutely no sense to trade a 2011 to a 2013, there is no appreciable difference so you aren't getting anything by doing it other than losing money. You will lose money by trading, that is guaranteed. Anytime you buy/sell/trade a vehicle you lose money compared to just staying pat with your current ride. Don't believe what a dealer is telling you.....they will take it out of your hide when the deal is done. You are not going to outsmart the dealer, that is their business. Other than that, it's a great idea.
I totally agree. I cannot believe they're still people out there who are so naive and think they can get out with a good deal . Every time you deal with a dealer you'll lose.period. You might think you got a good deal but you didn't.
The best way to lose the less money is to sell your car by yourself and to buy the new one from a private party. You'll still lose. Chances to find a 2013 from a private party are very slim tho.
Now some people are motivated to do the move and take the chances. it;s a matter of how much are you willing to lose for not liking the color of your car?! $5000- $10000? and then ask yourself, is it worth it or you should suck it up.
Or for the person who wants to upgrade to 350, how much are you willing to pay for the difference?

Quick Reply: Trade-In 2011 IS250 for Potenital 2013 IS250