IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 07-23-20, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: DaveGS4
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 01:27 PM
McSwagger7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue

Have the exact same issue on my 2009 IS 250. Came back to my car and started driving and the mirror was floppin around like crazy.

I looked at the DIY video and used the same tools he did. I applied a lot of force but the compression nut would not click into place. My driver side mirror has the issue and not my passenger side. I took apart both just to see how it should look. I tried to match it but no luck. Any thoughts?

Appreciate it !
Old 03-18-16, 07:25 PM
lloydxmas9
Driver School Candidate

I had the same thing happen to my driver's side mirror on my '09. Followed this exact youtube video and haven't had a problem since. Like others have said you really have to put some pressure down on it to stay secure.
Old 03-21-16, 12:47 AM
McSwagger7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lloydxmas9
I had the same thing happen to my driver's side mirror on my '09. Followed this exact youtube video and haven't had a problem since. Like others have said you really have to put some pressure down on it to stay secure.
Ah yes, I was just about to respond to this thread. You are absolutely right.

Instead of first pressing down on it to click and then using the rubber mallet, I went straight to the rubber mallet. One good whack and it immediately stayed in place. I then hit it a few more times to even it out and then I was good to go.

Appreciate the response.
Old 03-21-16, 05:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine did the same thing... on both sides. Car was out of warranty, but Lexus still replaced both of mine free of charge when I brought it in.
Old 09-01-16, 12:59 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

OK, this happened to my 2010 today. 57.5K miles. I took the mirror apart to find out exactly and found this thread by searching. The youtube video in post # 13 is exactly what I was thinking of trying. I intend to also drill a hole through the tube and put a cotter pin in to make sure the compression washer won't come off again.
Old 05-28-17, 09:30 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Well, as I posted here 9 months ago, the passenger side mirror came apart. A couple of days ago the driver side mirror came apart. So i watched the video again that is in post # 13 and put it together again. The only thing I didn't like about the video is the suggestion to use a pipe wrench. Instead, I used an O2 sensor socket and a piece of 2x4 to press with. As I did before, I drilled a hole through the pipe and put a cotter pin in. That spring retainer will never come off again.
Old 07-09-18, 10:37 AM
AiRuss
Driver School Candidate

My passanger side mirror flopped last night after I used controls to adjusted my rear view. Glad I found this thread! Thanks!
I used a hose clamp to secure for now. Wait and see

'09 IS250 105K miles
Old 08-11-19, 01:21 AM
JackXV
Driver School Candidate

Default Known issues with driver side mirror? 2006 IS250

Hey guys, I’m new here. I just recently bought a used 2006 IS250 AWD. One of the few issues is the driver side mirror. The light works, but the electronic adjustment doesn’t. Not to mention, the mirror seems loose... I can adjust it with my hand but if I hit bumps, it’ll move around (usually downward). Was gonna buy a stock used one on eBay, but figured I’d ask first if there was anything I can do to fix it? Would be approx $150 to replace it with a used one.
Old 08-12-19, 07:32 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

You can open it up to see if it's fixable. Might as well try it first since you need to open it up anyway. There are youtube videos you can watch to see how it disassembles.
Old 08-13-19, 08:48 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I saw a video once about a fix for the housing being loose not sure if that's your issue. I know you can replace the actuator behind the mirror very easily by popping the mirror out.

Old 07-22-20, 04:58 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 769 Likes on 672 Posts

I just finished this up on my passenger side using the video as a guide. I strongly recommend you take everything apart just leaving the fixture. Otherwise you'll end up risking scratching up the paint by leaving the components dangling. Before you hammer in the tension washer make sure the assembly is in the position in the picture below. If you don't the assembly won't be able to spring forward, or back in place.

Old 08-24-20, 10:53 AM
fdaless63
Driver School Candidate

I'm experiencing sideview mirror vibration at the pivot point(not where it attaches to the door). Can anyone tell me if the anatomy of the mirror with the tension washer shown above and in the video is the same on an LS as an IS before I start digging into it. Thanks
Old 12-17-20, 11:10 AM
ScottAZ
Driver School Candidate

Default Online video on YouTube how to fix, I did it, it works

I just fixed both side mirrors on my daughter’s Lexus HS250h, by following instructions on a YouTube video. I simply searched for Lexus side mirror fix and it popped right up. Watched the video once and then repaired the mirrors. They are like new. No more “bobble head” mirrors!

It takes simple tools most of us have, but it requires some strength. The problem is different than what I/we imagined. Nothing is broken. There is a retaining ring that has popped loose inside the mirror. It must be forced back down onto a post to hold a spring/coil in place. That’s the part requiring strength. You can do it yourself and save about $300-400. I see the video below.
Old 10-07-22, 02:11 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but we just bought a 2009 IS250 for my girlfriend and I noticed that the driver's side mirror is shaking a bit while driving on an uneven road.
It's not loose and doesn't flap around like in all of those repair videos and at first I thought that it might be the mirror glass that has come loose from its clips, but after investigating I discovered that the whole side mirror is moving up and down a few millimetres, causing this shaking.
From what I read from this thread, it can't be because of this loose compression spring, because then it would be totally loose and flapping around I believe?
To me it looks like just a question of tightening it somehow, but how?

I found the same problem for the RX and the solution seems to be tightening two torx screws:
https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...outside-mirror

But the IS mirror is different - there is just one small hole that looks like could be hiding some sort of screw inside, but I wasn't able to identify the screw (tried a few torx keys and phillips screwdrivers but no luck).
So can anybody guide me in the right direction? It's the facelift mirror with turn signals.
Old 10-07-22, 04:44 AM
DennisMik
Racer

It sounds like the mirror is loose on the door itself. If this is the case, you will have to remove the inside door trim panel in order to get at the bolts that hold the mirror onto the door.

Quick Reply: 2009 IS350 - Left side-view mirror "loose" fixes (merged threads)