IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 09:02 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS reliability

I drove my IS to work and back today with no problems at all. The heated seats kept me cozy and the six disc CD changer kept me entertained despite the traffic. It has provided me 76,342 miles of trouble-free driving so far and It shows no signs of stopping.

Does anyone else want to share how wonderfully mundane Lexus ownership is?
Old 01-07-13, 09:10 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Coming from a BMW, BMW, Infiniti, BMW, and Mercedes to a Lexus - the car has been a dream to own. Yes, there are annoyances from creaks to random start-up noises, but overall, all I've had to do are oil changes, spark plug replacement, and regularly maintenance items (brakes, etc.).

It's so... Boring, but in a good way
Old 01-07-13, 09:30 PM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

From my M3 to this, oh my. I absolutely love it.
Old 01-07-13, 09:47 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonIS
No more valve adjustments and VANOS tools... Or this:
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS reliability-2004-m3-maintenance-schedule.jpg  
Old 01-07-13, 10:45 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

72500+ miles on my IS250. best leather seats I had in a car, from driving toyota, mercedes and mitsubishi. Bought my car used with 69k miles on it, nothing was broken just some scratches on the paint. Didn't have the carbon build up problem, according to my Lexus SA, I use the proper octane gas and my driving habits seem to prevent it.

I love how everything in the car electrically and mechanically are working smooth.
Old 01-07-13, 11:51 PM
toky916
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BrandonIS
Seems like I have the worst problems then with my isf ! Headlights,speakers took a dump , had my brakes replaced excessive noise .. I'm talking about a brand new car half a year old my bmw has less problems seems like a lemon haha love it but hate it
Old 01-07-13, 11:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

I created a post just like this a few years ago. Overall, if one studies all forums and the auto industry, we here share the majority of trouble-free and easy driving sector. Lexus and Toyota are still some of the most reliable cars sold today. People with small brains buy into yellow journalism and don't look at the whole picture. No need to forget the truth about how well our cars are built. I love mine and have no intention of trading in anytime soon. For a car guy to say and do that, it speaks big.
Old 01-08-13, 12:40 AM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I created a post just like this a few years ago. Overall, if one studies all forums and the auto industry, we here share the majority of trouble-free and easy driving sector. Lexus and Toyota are still some of the most reliable cars sold today. People with small brains buy into yellow journalism and don't look at the whole picture. No need to forget the truth about how well our cars are built. I love mine and have no intention of trading in anytime soon. For a car guy to say and do that, it speaks big.
Correct. We had 2 previous toyotas, when my dad bought them he always asked if they were CBU(completely built units) from japan factories. Never had those horrible recalls on the news about lexus and toyota.
Old 01-08-13, 03:29 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The IS350 is my first car and so far I've had the water pump replaced, the catalytic converter, the ECU sometime this week, and possibly a new crankshaft position sensor later on if the new ECU doesn't resolve the problem. Not sure if this is considered reliable or not. Luckily, it's all under warranty!
Old 01-08-13, 04:52 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

As soon as my power train warranty ended... my fuel pump went(72K)... now my water pump(80k) and alternator pulley need to be changed.. lexus wants 2500 plus tax... some reliability.. I called corporate cause i am not paying for that ****.
Old 01-08-13, 05:43 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

The fact that we don't post about major break downs and have enough time to constantly complain about a rattle here and there is very telling.
Old 01-08-13, 06:56 AM
LOISF
Driver

I love my IS250! Its my first Lexus and my first car that I got on my own in my name . I always joke how much I would love to have a loaner car just to have another Lexus for awhile but that my car is too reliable to be in the shop long enough to warrant me getting a loaner, haha!! This in comparison to even seeing at my job BMW loaners for weeks :O. Also of all my friends that I know, its the owners with BMWs who complain about the most issues. Lexus FTW!
Old 01-08-13, 07:03 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Uda880
No more valve adjustments and VANOS tools... Or this:
Just looking at that service schedule makes me cringe. Then I open up the window and look at my IS, makes me happy
Old 01-08-13, 07:54 AM
Skyfox16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading about the carbon build up problem and the tsb for the odd noise on start up i ended up having more peice of mind buying an IS250 that was CPO. Just the other day my friend asked me what was wrong with my car because it made some weird noise when i started it. I hope it was just the cold but i would assume its the notorious start up noise that people talk about on here.
Old 01-08-13, 08:13 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Skyfox16
After reading about the carbon build up problem and the tsb for the odd noise on start up i ended up having more peice of mind buying an IS250 that was CPO. Just the other day my friend asked me what was wrong with my car because it made some weird noise when i started it. I hope it was just the cold but i would assume its the notorious start up noise that people talk about on here.
I haven't had any problems like that with mine, but because of everything I hear about it, I'm thinking about upgrading to a 350 later in the year.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS reliability