IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight Condensation*Need advice*

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 10:19 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Ive had this issue before and it turned out to be the moisture shield. I did not put it on properly after installing my DRLs.

Try removing the headlight from the car and shaking all of the water out. Then leave it in the sun to dry. It worked for me and I havent had any problems since.
Right now I'm doing the open hood method. I took off my moisture covers and I'm letting it air out. Hopefully that dries out some of the water. Once I get off work I'll try and take out the headlight.

I already tested the bulbs and both bulbs work so I know its the ballast. Hopefully once all the water dries out the ballast will work again. If not at least I have a new lamp on the way.

IF there s a teeny bit of moisture in the headlight, is it possible for that moisture to continue to grow even if its sealed properly? or is there still a leak?

AND can water in the headlight cause the headlight to expand when heated up from light, causing the headlight to crack?
Old 09-17-12, 10:24 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeckt
Right now I'm doing the open hood method. I took off my moisture covers and I'm letting it air out. Hopefully that dries out some of the water. Once I get off work I'll try and take out the headlight.

I already tested the bulbs and both bulbs work so I know its the ballast. Hopefully once all the water dries out the ballast will work again. If not at least I have a new lamp on the way.

IF there s a teeny bit of moisture in the headlight, is it possible for that moisture to continue to grow even if its sealed properly? or is there still a leak?

AND can water in the headlight cause the headlight to expand when heated up from light, causing the headlight to crack?
If its properly sealed, there shouldnt be a reason for the moisture to grow. But it may not go away on its own.

I dont know much about the water causing the headlight to crack, but you should do whatever you can to get the water out.
Old 09-18-12, 05:55 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol so i tried the open hood/moisture covers method. the condensation dried out, but the next morning it was back again after i had put the covers back lmao. i know i'm putting them on properly too. oh well we'll see. i get the new lamp this week sometime from sewell
Old 11-04-18, 10:42 AM
CloudCity
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathrow23
I purchased these through a popular website dealership thats on the site, so im sure taking it to a local dealer would not get me anywhere.
This is a very old thread I found while searching for another model, but I think it warrants saying here since so many people buy from Lexus Dealers online, but your warranty is still valid at any Lexus dealer for the part, usually one year. You bought it from an authorized source, doesn't matter if you got a steep discount, it's still covered by any Lexus dealer anywhere. Painful to see all the trouble the OP went through on what should have been a simple warranty exchange at his local shop.