IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help with CEL error codes please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 05:36 PM
rockyvo09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with CEL error codes please!

Hello friends,

This is my first post on clublexus and I would just like to start by saying hi. Everyone on here seems more friendly and helpful than on my.is from what I've read.

Anyways, I have an 08 IS350 and recently I had the CEL light as well as the traction control light and the "check VSC" light. I have an OBDII scanner and I checked the codes. The codes are as follows:

P2195: 02 sensor signal Biased/ Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0032: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1

I've tried to use the search function on the forum and I found that the first code is for the O2 sensor, but I'm not too sure about the second code, and what the two of them could mean together. Ive cleared the codes and they both come back within a minute.

If someone could enlighten me or point me in the right direction on what to do and if it's okay to drive on this for a while.

I have an injen intake, for which I have recently cleaned the MAF sensor, and the Tanabe axleback.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-12, 06:34 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Both codes are pointing to the Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 Sensor (Its actually an AF sensor). The sensor is likely bad, ive seen the same codes before and the fix was to replace the sensor. Its located on the passenger side of the engine, in the exhaust manifold. It can be accessed by removing the battery...
Old 05-16-12, 03:44 PM
kingster
Pole Position

I just replaced that same sensor less than a month ago P0031. In Los Angeles Dealer $200+, Sewell $180+, AutoZone $175+, Napa $150+(DENSO). Personal mechanic $50.
Just make sure you test the "bad sensor" before you buy/ install the new one.

Not a hard task. Just got to have the right tools.

Good luck
Old 05-16-12, 03:55 PM
rockyvo09
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your guys replies. + rep. I guess both codes relate to the bad O2 sensor. Does anybody have a picture or information on exactly where it is located? Also, how would I go about testing it?

PS I am a noob.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-16-12, 03:59 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Are you under the 70k? If so your still under powertrain/emission warranty.
Old 05-16-12, 04:02 PM
rockyvo09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
Are you under the 70k? If so your still under powertrain/emission warranty.
Yeah I'm at 67K. It's covered under warranty? If so, they should fix it with no questions asked?
Old 05-17-12, 08:44 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Dealers sometimes want to give their patrons a hard time. Of course they want to make money.
Go prepared and if you can or somebody here can find you the bulleting regarding this issue, it will help you get this issue resolved at no cost to you.

Good shops/ or mechanics with the right tools have this devices which test these senosrs.
If you hear a noise "bip" and green light, sensor is good, if no sound and red light, sensor failure. You need a new one.

Try dealer first. Other members have been successful. I hope you will too.

Good luck
Old 05-17-12, 08:51 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, definitely warranty work if you're under that 70k limit.

Powertrain Warranty
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

They may try to tell you that its not the problem with the engine control unit, but I'd just tell them that its the engine control unit that is throwing the codes, so they should do whatever is necessary to fix it.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 05-17-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 11:02 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
yeah, definitely warranty work if you're under that 70k limit.

Powertrain Warranty
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

They may try to tell you that its not the problem with the engine control unit, but I'd just tell them that its the engine control unit that is throwing the codes, so they should do whatever is necessary to fix it.
You realize that makes zero sense right? The computer is throwing the code, but it isnt the faulty part. Its a bad sensor, not a bad computer.
Old 05-18-12, 06:08 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah,I previously admitted they would tell him it wasnt the computer and that its a slim chance, but I've seen dealerships do this kinda work under warranty all the time.

Why wouldnt they cover it? He's at least under a powertrain warranty and some function of his powertrain that is failing. Not to mention it should be a relatively easy fix. It's not like he could have prevented it from going out with additional preventative maintenance.

Theres no reason to not go find out if they will do the work. You dont get anything done for you unless you at least ask.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 05-18-12 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 02:01 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why wouldnt they cover it?.
I'm all for the OP going to the dealer and seeing if they'll cover it, but I can say with 99% certainty they won't. The reason is that the part that is failing, an O2 sensor, is not covered by the powertrain warranty. No matter what you or anyone else may believe the O2 sensor's relationship to the powertrain to be, it's not listed as covered so it's not covered.

The reason they wouldn't cover it is because for warranty work, the dealership has to indicate to Lexus corporate what part failed AND actually send the part in to Lexus. If they don't, they don't get reimbursed. Lexus corporate will not reimburse the dealer if they see that they've sent in a faulty O2 sensor for coverage under the powertrain warranty, because that warranty doesn't cover O2 sensors.

The only way this would not be out of pocket is it 1) the issue ends up being something listed under the covered powertrain parts (cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets), or 2) if the dealership for some reason decides to goodwill it for the customer.

Also realize that it's absurd to blame a faulty O2 sensor on the engine control computer. Aside from the fact that it objectively isn't the engine control computer that's failing (unless the dealership determines it is, but I'm operating under the assumption that it's the O2 sensor), for Lexus to reimburse the dealership for a faulty engine control computer under powertrain warranty, Lexus would have to receive a faulty engine control computer from the dealer, not an O2 sensor.
Old 05-18-12, 02:05 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

calvin, You also used to think the 02 sensors were covered under the emissions warranty until it was discovered they were not. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6765747-post7.html)

I dont need a lecture in what is and isnt covered. I was just trying to give the guy some options to pursue.

Maybe if we get one more person in here to tell me that a check engine light doesnt fall under powertrain warranty, I'll finally understand.

Also, it could be the computer.......

Last edited by 06isDriver; 05-18-12 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 02:23 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I told him to ask cause my dealer covered mine. Im at 64k and didnt have an issue from them. My service rep said o2 are covered so i said ok. But mine was also CPO.
Old 05-18-12, 02:30 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^--------Yahtzee
Old 05-18-12, 03:12 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

calvin, You also used to think the 02 sensors were covered under the emissions warranty until it was discovered they were not. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6765747-post7.html)
Actually what I said in that post was exactly what I said here, that the O2 sensor is not covered by the powertrain warranty. Then I said:

So if it's covered it would be under the Emissions warranty.

I didn't say it was covered, I said that if an O2 sensor were to be covered by a factory warranty, it would be the emissions because it's not powertrain. Later I explained my reasoning for thinking it might be covered:

I was under the impression, perhaps false, that the emissions warranty covered issues that would cause you to fail an emissions test, and I would assume with your car throwing an O2 failure-related code, you wouldn't pass emissions. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, I just thought I read that in the manual.

I indicated however I didn't know whether that was correct, and as it turns out others posted that the 8 year/80k federal emissions warranty doesn't cover O2 sensors.

I dont need a lecture in what is and isnt covered. I was just trying to give the guy some options to pursue.
No one's lecturing. I also indicated that there's no harm in him asking. All I did was point out that the O2 sensors are explicitly not covered by the powertrain warranty because it's inclusionary, and they're not listed as covered.

Also, it could be the computer.......
I also acknowledged this. If it's the computer, then clearly it's covered. But the OP and others on here seem to be convinced its the O2 sensor, so I assumed that.

^--------Yahtzee
laobo979 explicitly said his car was CPO. CPO warranty DOES cover O2 sensors. Powertrain warranty does not. So the dealer covered it because it was covered by CPO.

Quick Reply: Help with CEL error codes please!