IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thank god i bought warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 08:46 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank god i bought warranty

I purcahsed my IS350 in Feburary with 90k, since then its been at the dealer twice. Once for a broken coolant pipe the fix was $1100. Now my timing chain case is leaking (i think dealer broke this one, couz the sealant around the timing case is very very fresh, they were doing recall work on my car too) Now the fix for the timing case gasket is another i beleive 1000 dollars... I paid my for my warranty 1250, i think it was a very smart move!
Old 04-09-12, 08:56 AM
Badsupra10
Driver

Deff. A good call whenever buying a new daily driver type car. Seems u made out!
Old 04-09-12, 09:21 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dealer broke your timing chain case when doing a recall??? Man, that kinda thing is why I'm afraid of getting recalls done... Yeah, they're free and they come with a free tank of gas, but dealerships all seem so careless or just incompetent. Mine is no exception.
Old 04-09-12, 09:27 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

yea they keep sending me letters for some stupid recalls that i dont need to do but im tempted to go in for a free tank of gas($60)
Old 04-09-12, 09:27 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wow..thank God for warranty...
Old 04-09-12, 09:55 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

They told me the gasket around my timing chain was leaking when I went in for an oil change the other day, and that it would be $3500 to fix. It was still under warranty, even though they had no record of it at first. It took a week to fix that, then a mistake they made during that fix left me on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck for an hour and a half the next morning at 5am. It's all working now at no cost to me, but still a hassle. That and a few other things have definitely made the warranty worth it.
Old 04-09-12, 10:06 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Good job.....
Old 04-09-12, 10:08 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

The difference in quoted prices for service is crazy. Obviously, I could have needed parts he didn't. But $1000 vs $3500, yikes.
Old 04-09-12, 12:15 PM
mixa86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
The difference in quoted prices for service is crazy. Obviously, I could have needed parts he didn't. But $1000 vs $3500, yikes.
i didnt get afinal quote yet, they said it would be alteast $1000 my warranty company said that.
Old 04-09-12, 01:05 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I love how people want to blame dealerships. They broke your timing chain cover? Do you have any proof at all of that or are you just running your mouth? There are ZERO recalls that would involve removal or tampering of the front timing cover. And the second you run your mouth blaming the dealer, i see people in this thread jumping all over it saying they're afraid of going to dealers for fear of them breaking thing. Its frustrating to no end. If you have no proof of a dealer doing damage to your car, then keep your mouth shut, all it does it spread rumors. And i think you're way off on your $1000 quote to reseal the timing cover. Its a minimum 12-15 hours of labor. Get your facts straight. /rant
Old 04-09-12, 01:11 PM
mixa86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RTIS250
I love how people want to blame dealerships. They broke your timing chain cover? Do you have any proof at all of that or are you just running your mouth? There are ZERO recalls that would involve removal or tampering of the front timing cover. And the second you run your mouth blaming the dealer, i see people in this thread jumping all over it saying they're afraid of going to dealers for fear of them breaking thing. Its frustrating to no end. If you have no proof of a dealer doing damage to your car, then keep your mouth shut, all it does it spread rumors. And i think you're way off on your $1000 quote to reseal the timing cover. Its a minimum 12-15 hours of labor. Get your facts straight. /rant
wow roough day dude???
if you learn how to read a little more then u wouldnt have a fit over nothing. THe fact that the timing case has fresh sealent all around the timing case was enough to have me thinking it was them since i bought the car of my friend who had no work done to the timing case. The dealer said they found record it was touched before, all the work done on the car was done by his friends shop, so that fresh looking sealent would not look like that if it was applied at a dealer over 2 years ago. Also couz my car was brought back 3 times after they "fixed" my car. And i said the warranty company told me it was atleast $1000, so i dunno what you are trying to prove. A dealer is no magical place it will do w/e to no to have to repair our of pocket and it has humans working on cars, some have magic hands some have hands growing out of their you kno what. IN the last 30 days they had my car for atleast 14 or 15 days, so if this leak was going on while they had the car and did it notice it NOT MY PROBLEM because it went in originally with no leaks and came out with leaks.
Old 04-10-12, 07:23 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
yea they keep sending me letters for some stupid recalls that i dont need to do but im tempted to go in for a free tank of gas($60)
I didn't realize we had people on CL who were more knowledgeable about Lexus and its cars than the people who actually design, manufacture, test, sell, and service the cars!

I assume you're talking about the fuel pressure sensor recall, since that's the most recent 2IS recall and involves a free tank of gas. I bought my IS350 used and a week after buying it, started smelling gasoline around the engine bay. Concerned, I brought it back to the selling dealership. They found that the part associated with the fuel pressure sensor recall had in fact failed. The recall had only gone out days before, so they didn't have the updated parts yet, but they replaced the part and told me to bring it back when the new parts were in. Gasoline had been leaking into the engine bay and could easily have started a fire or explosion.

But like you said, this recall is definitely something that should be ignored.

I'm blown away by the number of people on CL who think they know better than the people who make the cars. Just a few reasons why you should get recalls performed off the top of my head:

1) Recalls are reserved for significant SAFETY related issues. If it had no relation to safety concerns, it would be a TSIB. Recalls are also significantly costly in terms of both dollars and reputation to an automaker. A string of them (like those affecting Toyota in the last 2 years) can hugely hurt sales. Do you think an automaker would issue a recall if they didn't have good reason?

2) Not getting recalls performed in a timely fashion or at all can raise issues to or turn off completely potential buyers when you try and sell the car. The first thing I check when I look at used cars is if all the recalls have been performed and on time, since it's a no brainer.

3) If you consciously ignore recall notices and then it fails later, you're putting yourself at risk of not having the resulting repairs covered, in addition to the risk of injury to yourself and other passengers. If you ignore recall notices and a year later your car's in your garage, gasoline leaks into the engine (a distinct possibility) and starts a fire and your house burns down, good luck trying to push blame onto Lexus in the resulting lawsuit.

4) In the very rare case that a dealership does cause a problem or break something during the performance of a recall repair, BRING IT BACK - THEY WILL FIX IT.
Old 04-10-12, 08:43 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I'm also scared that the dealership will mess my car up. I would get recall done though, and not just for the free tank of gas lol.

However, I did just get the headlight TSB done on my car, and now in the center of the drivers side of the front bumper, when I push in on it, it makes a popping noise. Not sure if they missed a clip or broke something. Frustrating though.
Old 04-10-12, 09:39 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
I'm also scared that the dealership will mess my car up. I would get recall done though, and not just for the free tank of gas lol.

However, I did just get the headlight TSB done on my car, and now in the center of the drivers side of the front bumper, when I push in on it, it makes a popping noise. Not sure if they missed a clip or broke something. Frustrating though.
Then bring it back....?

If the dealership screwed something up, bring it back. They'll fix it. They want to retain happy customers so they return. There are tons of dealerships and auto shops around, so they know an unhappy customer generally means one that won't return.

If the bumper wasn't replaced correctly and it doesn't look right, bring it back and have them fix it. If the only problem is that when you push on it it makes a popping sound, why are you pushing on it? Are you sure it didn't do that before?
Old 04-10-12, 10:44 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

woow good thing you have warranty !

Quick Reply: Thank god i bought warranty