IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$8 cure to fixing fast blinking issue when using LED bulbs

Old 02-06-12, 06:33 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $8 cure to fixing fast blinking issue when using LED bulbs

I have 4 LED turnsignal bulbs in my headlights, 2 out the rear, and lastly the side view mirrors I got from Ebay have built in turnsignals... I recently gave my vehicle to my wife.
The fast blinking drove her crazy.

I didn't want to solder on resistors.

I searched the interwebs high and low and refused to pay Lexus $50 for their relay.

I found this one that is the exact same from Lexus for only $8. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/12V-Electro..._fix_sku85.htm

Enjoy.
Old 02-06-12, 06:39 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the the confirmation flash work? Had emailed them and asked them this before however they are unable to confirm if it does.

Also Lexus does not make turn signals relays for LED so it would not of helped.

I actually think this is a better idea since I will be reciving this soon. A CREE + 12 5050 SMD LED all around, and designed not to hyper flash. Very bright and will have the solid projection look.

Last edited by Sango; 02-06-12 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 08:48 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I have 4 LED turnsignal bulbs in my headlights, 2 out the rear, and lastly the side view mirrors I got from Ebay have built in turnsignals... I recently gave my vehicle to my wife.
The fast blinking drove her crazy.

I didn't want to solder on resistors.

I searched the interwebs high and low and refused to pay Lexus $50 for their relay.

I found this one that is the exact same from Lexus for only $8. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/12V-Electro..._fix_sku85.htm

Enjoy.
I've owned 2 of these flasher modules. After installing led switch backs in the front, and leds in the rear, I bought the flasher module to fix the hyper flash. The first one had flash confirmation for about a month, then it stopped working on the passenger side. I ordered another one because I wanted to take the one I had apart, and it was only $8. The next one didn't flash at all.

But the solution to the hyper flash is much simpler than it seems. Take out your factory flasher unit and take the plastic top off. There is a Shunt Resistor soldered to the board, it looks like a large U nail, it's what the flasher computer uses to tell when a light is out. You will need to replace the shunt resistor with something of higher resistance to fool the computer. What resistance you will need depends on what bulbs you have. If you have replaced all six bulbs with leds you will need a .22 1w and a .33 1w resistor soldered in parallel. With these resistors installed in my factory unit I have full functionality, including bulb out detection
Old 02-07-12, 09:14 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default got pics?

got pics?......

Originally Posted by rcJten
I've owned 2 of these flasher modules. After installing led switch backs in the front, and leds in the rear, I bought the flasher module to fix the hyper flash. The first one had flash confirmation for about a month, then it stopped working on the passenger side. I ordered another one because I wanted to take the one I had apart, and it was only $8. The next one didn't flash at all.

But the solution to the hyper flash is much simpler than it seems. Take out your factory flasher unit and take the plastic top off. There is a Shunt Resistor soldered to the board, it looks like a large U nail, it's what the flasher computer uses to tell when a light is out. You will need to replace the shunt resistor with something of higher resistance to fool the computer. What resistance you will need depends on what bulbs you have. If you have replaced all six bulbs with leds you will need a .22 1w and a .33 1w resistor soldered in parallel. With these resistors installed in my factory unit I have full functionality, including bulb out detection
Old 02-07-12, 10:27 AM
aggatek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in pics as well. Please show!
Old 02-07-12, 01:14 PM
k4fu
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sango
Does the the confirmation flash work? Had emailed them and asked them this before however they are unable to confirm if it does.

Also Lexus does not make turn signals relays for LED so it would not of helped.

I actually think this is a better idea since I will be reciving this soon. A CREE + 12 5050 SMD LED all around, and designed not to hyper flash. Very bright and will have the solid projection look.
do you have the link?
Old 02-07-12, 01:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

No link but I have been in contact with the CL forum vendor. The lights have been shipped so I should be expecting them very soon.
Old 02-07-12, 01:24 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by aggatek
I am interested in pics as well. Please show!
I'll try and write up a quick DIY. Might not be until next week though.
Old 02-08-12, 03:21 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

rcJten, you might have a business opportunity on your hands. I've always been intrigued by electronic flashers but have been turned off by their high failure rate, lack of a confirmation flash (in some cases), and louder audible clicking when using turn signals. Look forward to your DIY.
Old 02-08-12, 03:51 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Oddly this flasher is quiet and I also get confirmation when I lock the doors..... For now at least.
Old 02-08-12, 03:53 PM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Just curious is this quieter than stock?

Yes, this solution would work out for people with LED turn signals already and need the flasher.

For those who don't have them and want to go LED maybe want to consider the CREE + LED solution which would not require changing of the flasher.
Old 02-08-12, 04:13 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

It is quieter... Then again it may have something with the fact of just how much load it is seeing. Remember Sango I have many LED's.

4 up front, 2 rear, and the side view mirrors have some as well.
Old 02-08-12, 05:59 PM
furryjet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sango
interesting LED you got over there, please do let us know how it goes
Old 02-08-12, 06:36 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CCJ22
It is quieter... Then again it may have something with the fact of just how much load it is seeing. Remember Sango I have many LED's.

4 up front, 2 rear, and the side view mirrors have some as well.
Oh yes because yours is the previous style which uses more. The CREE+LED has built in resistor so it will not have issue with the stock flasher.

Originally Posted by furryjet
interesting LED you got over there, please do let us know how it goes
It's shipping tomorrow from BAUSAuto (JLC). Was hoping to get them today but there was some miss-communication so it will be expedited over.

Last edited by Sango; 02-09-12 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-08-12, 06:45 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FREE solution to the hyper flash

http://vleds.wordpress.com/2010/12/0...k-with-v-leds/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $8 cure to fixing fast blinking issue when using LED bulbs