IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Burning oil smell.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-12, 07:27 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Burning oil smell.....

Only seems like it happens after I haul *** and then come to a stop. Like if I push it hard to the gas station by my house, then run inside for a few minutes to grab some twinkles, then come back out the car will smell a little like burning oil inside. It's not overwhelming, but its there. No smell outside. Or if I pull a hole shot from a stoplight...when I get to the next stoplight theres a little burnt oil smell in the car that goes away after a few minutes of "normal" driving.

I've changed the oil myself since this started and didn't notice a single drop of oil anywhere under the car, nor was the oil low.

This only seems like it happens after going mach 1, and seems like it only happens with the climate control on auto and the heat on.

2008 IS350 - 45,000 miles. Any ideas??
Old 01-30-12, 10:06 AM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Help!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-12, 11:20 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason no one has replied yet is because this is had to diagnose. Are you sure there is no leaks when you did your own oil changes? Its really hard to find a leak on these cars because of the undertray blocking all views of the bottom of the engine. There also might be a chance that oil is leaking from the valve cover and falling on the header. If I were you i would take off the undertray and do a full inspection. Sorry I couldnt help much. Good luck.
Old 01-30-12, 04:42 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

What oil and weight are you using? New filter too?
Old 01-31-12, 07:50 AM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Mobile 1 5w30. STP filter I believe.
Old 01-31-12, 10:52 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

I had the exact same issue before when I ripped my car like crazy on the highway and I had this burning smell inside my car for a while which went away after few minutes. Never really had the need to rip my car after that so could not check for the same smell again. I believe there is a thread similar to your issue. See the link below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-throttle.html

I'm sorry , check out this thread. It is more relevant to your problem

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-07-is350.html

Last edited by stanjohn12; 01-31-12 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added another link
Old 01-31-12, 11:00 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by YoNadz
Mobile 1 5w30. STP filter I believe.
Though it was on a totally different car, I had the "oil smell" issue when I used cheap Fram filters. Upgraded to Mobil 1 and the smell never happened again. Just a thought. Perhaps an OEM oil filter would be a safer bet.
Old 12-23-16, 10:43 AM
AARONHL
Driver School Candidate

Have a oil or gear lube type of smell coming from my girlfriends 06 is250
Got the car earlier this year and havent noticed any smells or problems with the car until we recently went on a trip to LI from CT so it was about 200 miles.
When we stopped at a light off the highway we could smell oil burning...Problem went on until we got home that day and continues today about a week later.
Our other long car trips did not have any smells...When the car is parked in the garage after a run you can smell it in the garage too

The brake rotors are not HOT after a drive so I don't think it's a sticking caliper and no oil is dripping on the garage floor.

I think I am going to take off all of the plastic covers to see if oil is dripping anywhere. What do you guys think
Old 12-23-16, 09:32 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Obviously there is an oil leak albeit a small one but there is no other explanation. It's burning on the exhaust manifold. As it burns up the fumes get sucked into the car through the Climate control (when on).

So my advice is take off all the engine covers (leave them off). Have someone sit inside and giver while you look at the engine for signs of smoke. Inspect around the area of the exhaust manifolds to see if there is a leak coming from your rocker covers somewhere or even at the front by the timing chain cover. It could be thrown back onto the exhaust manifold somewhere.

You will have to solve this mystery through some trouble shooting. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-25-16, 11:27 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe its transmission fluid
Old 12-27-16, 12:26 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AARONHL
Have a oil or gear lube type of smell coming from my girlfriends 06 is250
Got the car earlier this year and havent noticed any smells or problems with the car until we recently went on a trip to LI from CT so it was about 200 miles.
When we stopped at a light off the highway we could smell oil burning...Problem went on until we got home that day and continues today about a week later.
Our other long car trips did not have any smells...When the car is parked in the garage after a run you can smell it in the garage too

The brake rotors are not HOT after a drive so I don't think it's a sticking caliper and no oil is dripping on the garage floor.

I think I am going to take off all of the plastic covers to see if oil is dripping anywhere. What do you guys think
check your valve covers and your axles
Old 12-27-16, 10:55 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

you might be interested in sending your oil out for analysis, it's not a mechanic in a can but usually you can find out something you didn't know before hand. A lot of times issues in the motors can be pinpointed in an analysis........I'm new to the forum but we usually get this kind of issue where I work, and I'd say eight out of ten times, the data analyst can pinpoint where the issue is coming from.
Old 01-03-17, 06:26 AM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

There a lot of similar threads on this. It seems to be a "Common Issue" for Lexus. When I first got my car, I would never smell that burning oil/rotten egg smell, after hauling *** on the Highway or in the City. For 6 months never experienced any problems until on a hot summer day, I was going out to get something to eat, the car was not warmed up all the way & I stepped on the gas hard to get in front of a car who was swerving & all of sudden I smelled something like, rotten eggs or a skunk smell. Living in CO. I thought nothing is wrong with my car, its just good ol colorado & the skunk weed smell lol. but more and more I continued to smell it. Nowadays, Its a burning oil smell when I have to floor it. I've avoided any issues with the smell lately by letting the car warm up 10 minutes before heading out & letting the car warm up all the way to normal temperature before I consider smashing the gas. Still have not found an explanation for the smell or a "fix" for it.