IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shifter + and - (inverting them??)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 01:05 PM
patmolina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter + and - (inverting them??)

Hey all,
Just got a new 2011 IS250 AWD and was curious about something about the shifter.

In professional race cars the shifter + and - and inverted when compared to normal cars like we drive daily. In a race car the + is back and the - is foward. In the IS250 the + is foward and the - back.

I was simply wondering if it is possible to invert them to have them as a race car?

Let me know please...

Patrick
Old 01-14-12, 01:32 PM
Burtt9
Pole Position

There's a couple DIYs on here and I think TOMS sells a conversion that plugs in line to switch them up. I was looking into it when I first got her too since I had a 3 series before and its step tronic is reversed to ours. But I just got use to it. Like it now.
Old 01-14-12, 01:36 PM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you say that and I don't know if that is possible. All of my previous performance cars were manual transmissions and first to second is always a down throw. It took me a while to get used to pushing up for that first gear change.
Old 01-14-12, 01:48 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a Tom's kit available. I'm looking into getting it. Im be down for a group buy if its available.
I would post a link to it but I am on mobile. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-12, 01:58 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

Electrically it would be very easy to switch them (just swap Pin 1 (Pink) and 2 (Purple) on the connector at the shifter), but what would be harder is making the piece that would replace the + / - symbols on the shifter label.

Jeff
Old 01-14-12, 05:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, this is done, and done easily, for free... do a search it's been covered....no need to spend $ on the TOMs thing.

That said, you might want to be aware that the car is an automatic. Even in S mode you never, ever, shift the car directly. The only thing the shifter, or the paddles, can do is change the maximum allowed gear on the car.

If you're in S-3 and going 5 miles an hour, "shifting" to S-4 won't put the car in 4th gear, it'll just expand the range the fully automatic transmission can use from 1-3 to 1-4.

Likewise if you're going 5 miles an hour in S-4, "shifting" to S-3 won't actually downshift the car, it'll just change the range the fully automatic transmission can use from 1-4 to 1-3.

In either case no actual shift will happen by moving the "shifter"

If using the car in a drag race you will always be faster just leaving the shifter in D than wasting your time 'shifting' yourself because only 2 things are possible doing it yourself:

1) You "allow" the next higher gear either exactly when the transmission wanted it, and it shifts exactly like if you had left it in D... (or you "allow" the next gear earlier, same result)

or

2) You "allow" the next higher gear too late, and you bounce off the rev limiter, killing your track time

Fastest setup for drag racing on a 2IS is:

Shifter in D
ECT switch in NORMAL mode, not power
Trac and VSC turned off

If you want to see what a real manual mode is like you'd need to drive an IS-F.
Old 01-15-12, 06:57 AM
patmolina
Driver School Candidate

Super!! Now what do I got to take apart to get to that connector, can you align me more or less where its located?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Electrically it would be very easy to switch them (just swap Pin 1 (Pink) and 2 (Purple) on the connector at the shifter), but what would be harder is making the piece that would replace the + / - symbols on the shifter label.

Jeff
Old 01-15-12, 06:59 AM
patmolina
Driver School Candidate

Whats is the difference between TRAC off and VSC off??
is the difference when you simply push the TRAC button once and when you keep it down 4-5 seconds? and then an other light comes on?

Originally Posted by Kurtz
yeah, this is done, and done easily, for free... do a search it's been covered....no need to spend $ on the TOMs thing.

That said, you might want to be aware that the car is an automatic. Even in S mode you never, ever, shift the car directly. The only thing the shifter, or the paddles, can do is change the maximum allowed gear on the car.

If you're in S-3 and going 5 miles an hour, "shifting" to S-4 won't put the car in 4th gear, it'll just expand the range the fully automatic transmission can use from 1-3 to 1-4.

Likewise if you're going 5 miles an hour in S-4, "shifting" to S-3 won't actually downshift the car, it'll just change the range the fully automatic transmission can use from 1-4 to 1-3.

In either case no actual shift will happen by moving the "shifter"

If using the car in a drag race you will always be faster just leaving the shifter in D than wasting your time 'shifting' yourself because only 2 things are possible doing it yourself:

1) You "allow" the next higher gear either exactly when the transmission wanted it, and it shifts exactly like if you had left it in D... (or you "allow" the next gear earlier, same result)

or

2) You "allow" the next higher gear too late, and you bounce off the rev limiter, killing your track time

Fastest setup for drag racing on a 2IS is:

Shifter in D
ECT switch in NORMAL mode, not power
Trac and VSC turned off

If you want to see what a real manual mode is like you'd need to drive an IS-F.
Old 01-15-12, 08:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by patmolina
Whats is the difference between TRAC off and VSC off??
is the difference when you simply push the TRAC button once and when you keep it down 4-5 seconds? and then an other light comes on?
Yup.... there is. Trac is traction control, VSC is vehicle stability control.... they do different things under different triggers.

Pressing the button for just a second turns TRAC off until you hit 30 mph.

Holding the button down for 4-5 seconds turns them both off until you turn the car off (or hit the button again)

That's on 07+ models... 06 owners have to do something different to get them to stay off until the car restarts.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-15-12 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 08:40 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

Pressing and releasing just disables TRAC, VSC is still on, and when you hit 30mph (50km/h) it re-enables.

Pressing and holding for 3 seconds disables TRAC and VSC, and it remains disabled until restarting the car, or pressing the button again.

Jeff
Old 01-15-12, 12:26 PM
patmolina
Driver School Candidate

Super!! Now what do I got to take apart to get to that connector, can you align me more or less where its located?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange

Jeff
Old 02-12-15, 11:11 AM
aha2988
Driver School Candidate

reviving an old thread here for sure lol..

can anyone point me to some DIY threads where somone has reversed the wiring to achieve the pull back to shift up functionality. I've had no luck searching with google or the sites search feature.