IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where to buy small items?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 02:45 PM
murder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy small items?

I just bought my first lexus 2 days ago, and for the past 2 days, when I'm not driving i've been reading here! The car is a 2008 Black, with 35,000 miles. I think its the luxury model, its got everything!

Anyway, I want to start slow with the mods and am strictly concerned with looks!

I want to go with the all black look so the first things I want are the black grill and black emblems. Where do I get them?

Second, I want to lower the car a tad, about 1 inch is all I want. How much worse will my ride be if I go with Tein SS springs? Will it affect camber?

Does anyone make black trim to replace the chrome that is on the roofline?

Also, on a side note, it appears to be random but the touch screen buttons get dissabled while I'm driving. Is this normal? IE, if i'm listening to a cd and want to be on the screen that views all the tracks sometimes it blacks out.

Any other suggestions for small first mods are appreciated!
Old 06-02-11, 03:02 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, i also had the same thing in mind. I wanted to get black accents for my black is250, and i was on a tight budget. I only care about looks too. First of all go on sewell, a vendor of ours and create an account with your clublexus account and you will recieve a discount on most of their products. They have all oem stuff. Things i bought from them include GFX front lip and trunk spoiler. but they also sell the black grill surround, black chrome emblems, and F sport springs which is a 1 inch drop that you seem to be looking for. I personally found a guy good with vinyl to wrap my grill surround for cheap. I did tints, powdercoated my stock wheels, GFX lip, OEM trunk spoiler, Ebay roof spoiler, redouts, aerotect interior cf overlay. Those are things off the top of my head and they are all very affordable!
Old 06-02-11, 03:23 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

If you're looking for a cheap alternative, go with plastidip for the emblems and grill. You can get it from Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 06-02-11, 03:36 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Silkky
If you're looking for a cheap alternative, go with plastidip for the emblems and grill. You can get it from Home Depot or Lowes.
I did the plasti dip on my black is250, it was easy and obviously cheap. I think it looks awesome on other color cars, but on black i wasnt feeling it. It looked a bit dull. I personally think that gloss blacks looks sweet for the grill surround
Old 06-06-11, 06:19 AM
murder
Driver School Candidate

I just did the Plasti dip on the emblems and grill. I think it looks sweet! I'm considering doing the chrome around the windows as well. I cant decide if i'm going to get rims powerdercoated this week black or just save up for the real deal and get sweet rims!?
Old 06-06-11, 06:26 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

If you only want to drop the car about 1" I would recommend F-Sport springs. They drop the car 1" all the way around and won't give up much ride quality. They can be used with stock shocks or paired with the F-sport shocks. You can order from Sewell.

The blacking out of the screen you're talking about are safety features and I'm not sure if they can be disabled somehow.
Old 06-07-11, 07:22 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navi Hack

Originally Posted by dmk08
If you only want to drop the car about 1" I would recommend F-Sport springs. They drop the car 1" all the way around and won't give up much ride quality. They can be used with stock shocks or paired with the F-sport shocks. You can order from Sewell.

The blacking out of the screen you're talking about are safety features and I'm not sure if they can be disabled somehow.
Yes there is a whole thread out there about Navi hacks that would allow you to still use touchscreen while driving. I personally generated a ranting thread about how silly I thought it was to Hack the Nav. The rant was somewhat tongue and cheek...it has since been closed. You will also find peeps that have had difficulty with the Navi hack and it can screw things up.
Old 06-07-11, 10:55 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

+1 Plastidip
Ebay for spoilers is a pretty solid option - got my roof spoiler there for next to nothing

My 06' (donno about 08') has a secrete menu on the nav screen that turns off the safety feature of the screen - but you have to do it every time your car starts up.

Careful with lowering if you have the AWD - another thread seems to make it seem like its a huge PITA

Cheap easy mod that adds a lot are Tail light red-outs (change the ugly yellow blinker to matching red)