Feedback regarding interior carbon fiber trim kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 01:57 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback regarding interior carbon fiber trim kit

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a carbon fiber trim kit for my 350's interior. My car came with the wood grain trim and I would like to switch over to the carbon fiber pieces.

There are 2 sellers on ebay selling those kits. I've search on the 2IS forum to see if anyone has purchased them but did not find any review or feedback so far. One seller is from Taiwan and another one is from Hong Kong, but they appear to be from the same source (same product pictures and quality).

I would like to know if anyone here have purchased from the interior CF kit from ebay and I would appreciate it if you could share your comments/feedback in terms of the fitment and quality.

Since the shifter area has quite a few sharp edges, I am concerned how well this kit covers the existing wood grain (fitment) and how precisely it was cut to fit the ISx50.

Here's a link for reference:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...#ht_1194wt_939

I know some members will suggest that I opt for the carbon wrap. I have considered that an option but I personally prefer the gloss and depth of carbon pieces over wrap. Ideally, the 7pc CF trim kit should be a stick-on application and does not require uninstallation of any parts (ease of install).

Thank you for your help in advance.

Cheers !
Old 10-26-10, 07:31 PM
jnemo
Driver

There is actually few members have those CF covers/overlay
But I wouldn't recommand to get those, because it's not gonna look flush, you will see the edges, so not gonna be smooth.
Old 10-26-10, 07:35 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I were you I would look for a shop to wrap your stock parts in real carbon fiber and urethane ... or not do anything at all, rather than use those stick-on pieces or 3m wrap which would only serve to cheapen the look of your lexus.
Old 10-26-10, 07:44 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got 4 lin ft of 3M di-noc carbon fiber...wraped all 4 doors, and the center console, and had a lil left..when u open ash tray or the cup holder..cant even see the wood that used to be there....I got black int..the 3m di-noc looks like it came as OEM...very happy for my $23 spent and a sat afternoon!
Old 10-26-10, 07:53 PM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Di noc does not look oem. Looks nice. But compare it to the is F and it looks kinda silly.
Old 10-26-10, 07:56 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im gunna use VINYL CF to redo my wood trim in my IS 350.

Found a nice Red/Black Kevlar CF that would look sick!
Old 10-26-10, 07:59 PM
Secksee
Lead Lap

or you can buy the real thing https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...r-06-08-a.html
Old 10-26-10, 08:02 PM
BlkSapPrl7
Driver

Originally Posted by rselby
I got 4 lin ft of 3M di-noc carbon fiber...wraped all 4 doors, and the center console, and had a lil left..when u open ash tray or the cup holder..cant even see the wood that used to be there....I got black int..the 3m di-noc looks like it came as OEM...very happy for my $23 spent and a sat afternoon!

Pictures???????
Old 10-29-10, 12:56 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I will consider the CF wrap for the interior wood trim. I just can't stand the wood trim anymore. Since I have an 06, I can see swirl marks and scratches on the shiny surface of the wood trim, which kind of bothers me. I think the CF wrap may be the way to get and switch things around and try the matte finish look.

Thanks again for chiming in guys
The comments and feedback were very helpful.

Cheers!
Old 11-19-10, 11:49 PM
MSirJet
Driver School Candidate

think I'll chime in here. I was planning to exchange my overlays with a company here in North Hollywood which sends them out to... I suspect China and covers them with real carbon fiber. I've seen there stuff and it looks awesome but the price was around $500 for the exchange pieces. Also I was put on a waiting list as they only have two sets which are being rotated. After a month went by, still not available.. even for a local! So I went ahead and wrapped them the vinyl faux carbon precut kit discussed in previous articles. Tell you what.. I am impressed how it came out as is everyone I show it to. Matter of fact I like the look of matt finish of the vinyl more then the real carbon with it's shiny finish. With the vinyl i can always remove it and go back to stock. Installation was tricky but definitely worth doing it right.
Old 11-20-10, 05:52 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-rebuilt.html

First page a few pictures down....Vinyl

And +1 to MSirJet, I also like the dry CF look better, but on my install I sanded the trim pieces with 600 grit paper and then painted them flat black, I then put the vinyl over it and it was just tacky so it would have extra stick to grab on to
Old 11-20-10, 07:04 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

I really like the CF trim in the car. If mine didn't have the wood trim (I'm an old man, at 24), I'd totally get the real deal CF in the car.
Old 11-20-10, 07:11 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a real CF overlay kit that I bought from Carid.com I don't like the look of matte vinyl either. It looks and fits well, but I didn't have wood trim. There is that place in So Cal that does do your entire plastic piece like the other member said. Brociouz has it looks good. My kit has like 24 pieces and I paid about $365. Good luck.
Old 11-20-10, 10:00 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

I actually just got the CF vinyl from AeroTect, received it the next day! Cost $69 bucks
Old 11-20-10, 10:02 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ApokC
I actually just got the CF vinyl from AeroTect, received it the next day! Cost $69 bucks
I paid $25 shipped

Quick Reply: Feedback regarding interior carbon fiber trim kit