IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help ASAP (airbag question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 05:04 PM
king06
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help ASAP (airbag question)

I am trying to wrap the steering whell controls in carbon fiber and i am following the DIY posted here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...k-warning.html but I came across a problem i already have the aribag popped out but i have not disconected it because the DIY does not show what to do, so ive tried just pulling on the clips but i feel i might break them how do i completely remove the airbag, and is there a specific order to remove them? thank you so much if your able to help
Old 10-01-10, 05:06 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't remember exactly on the is but a yellow plug should go into a clockspring. To release the yellow plug there are two tab's which need to be depressed. Move careful those plugs are very fragile. See if you can just move the bag and hold it up with a coathanger or something just to keep it out of the way instead of disconnecting it. I've seen them deploy when being installed and scared the crap out of us.
Old 10-01-10, 05:14 PM
king06
Rookie

so which tabs do i depress? and there is no yellow plug they are orang and black, also i disconected my battery and pressed on the brake is there still a chance it might go off? thanks for any help
Old 10-01-10, 05:17 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by king06
so which tabs do i depress? and there is no yellow plug they are orang and black, also i disconected my battery and pressed on the brake is there still a chance it might go off? thanks for any help
On 90% of car yellow is airbag hot wires. Yes the airbag is a actual explosive device, an electrical surge of current can set a bag off. If you can take a picture, I'll wait and get you through it.
Old 10-01-10, 05:20 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Got it, on the yellow tap in the orange plug lift's straight out, use a small standard screwdriver and pull the tab out, from there the orange plug will come straight out, should be same for the black plug. The plugs are like 90 degree plugs right? From the looks of the DIY thread, you should be able to do it without disconnecting the bag
Old 10-01-10, 05:32 PM
king06
Rookie

thank you so much for your help and after thinking about it for a while I think im going to go with your first recomendation and just take them off without disconecting the bag, again thank you bottledfed
Old 10-01-10, 05:33 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by king06
thank you so much for your help and after thinking about it for a while I think im going to go with your first recomendation and just take them off without disconecting the bag, again thank you bottledfed
No Problem
Old 10-01-10, 07:12 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
I can't remember exactly on the is but a yellow plug should go into a clockspring. To release the yellow plug there are two tab's which need to be depressed. Move careful those plugs are very fragile. See if you can just move the bag and hold it up with a coathanger or something just to keep it out of the way instead of disconnecting it. I've seen them deploy when being installed and scared the crap out of us.
I'm feeling like this is the way they disable a pipebomb or something. You guys are making me nervous here!!
Old 10-01-10, 07:56 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I did the steering damper yesterday without disconnect the neg battery, I just unplug the 2 yellow airbag cables and the black wire from the airbag, so took the airbag off completely, after I installed the damper I connect everything back, and they work just fine, there is not thing to worry as long as you don't turn on the car while you doing that, you be ok
Old 10-02-10, 07:36 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ohiois350
I did the steering damper yesterday without disconnect the neg battery, I just unplug the 2 yellow airbag cables and the black wire from the airbag, so took the airbag off completely, after I installed the damper I connect everything back, and they work just fine, there is not thing to worry as long as you don't turn on the car while you doing that, you be ok
Correct, the airbag works like so. I sensors gets contact and send a electrical pulse thru wires to a detonator, the detonator fires and the explosive goes off and fills the bag with compressed air. (That's the short version) But what I was saying is if you get a electrical surge you can prematurely send the electric wave down the wire and set it off.
Old 10-02-10, 03:23 PM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

king06, you do not need to actually completely take out the airbag. as indicated in the guide, you simply keep the airbag held with one hand and you can remove the screws and the switch controls with the other. There is no need to completely disconnect the airbag