ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Need help ASAP (airbag question) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/528333-need-help-asap-airbag-question.html)

king06 10-01-10 05:04 PM

Need help ASAP (airbag question)

I am trying to wrap the steering whell controls in carbon fiber and i am following the DIY posted here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...k-warning.html but I came across a problem i already have the aribag popped out but i have not disconected it because the DIY does not show what to do, so ive tried just pulling on the clips but i feel i might break them how do i completely remove the airbag, and is there a specific order to remove them? thank you so much if your able to help

Bottledfed 10-01-10 05:06 PM

I can't remember exactly on the is but a yellow plug should go into a clockspring. To release the yellow plug there are two tab's which need to be depressed. Move careful those plugs are very fragile. See if you can just move the bag and hold it up with a coathanger or something just to keep it out of the way instead of disconnecting it. I've seen them deploy when being installed and scared the crap out of us.

king06 10-01-10 05:14 PM

so which tabs do i depress? and there is no yellow plug they are orang and black, also i disconected my battery and pressed on the brake is there still a chance it might go off? thanks for any help

Bottledfed 10-01-10 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by king06 (Post 5832090)
so which tabs do i depress? and there is no yellow plug they are orang and black, also i disconected my battery and pressed on the brake is there still a chance it might go off? thanks for any help

On 90% of car yellow is airbag hot wires. Yes the airbag is a actual explosive device, an electrical surge of current can set a bag off. If you can take a picture, I'll wait and get you through it.

Bottledfed 10-01-10 05:20 PM

Got it, on the yellow tap in the orange plug lift's straight out, use a small standard screwdriver and pull the tab out, from there the orange plug will come straight out, should be same for the black plug. The plugs are like 90 degree plugs right? From the looks of the DIY thread, you should be able to do it without disconnecting the bag

king06 10-01-10 05:32 PM

thank you so much for your help and after thinking about it for a while I think im going to go with your first recomendation and just take them off without disconecting the bag, again thank you bottledfed

Bottledfed 10-01-10 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by king06 (Post 5832126)
thank you so much for your help and after thinking about it for a while I think im going to go with your first recomendation and just take them off without disconecting the bag, again thank you bottledfed

No Problem

Micaiah 10-01-10 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bottledfed (Post 5832074)
I can't remember exactly on the is but a yellow plug should go into a clockspring. To release the yellow plug there are two tab's which need to be depressed. Move careful those plugs are very fragile. See if you can just move the bag and hold it up with a coathanger or something just to keep it out of the way instead of disconnecting it. I've seen them deploy when being installed and scared the crap out of us.

I'm feeling like this is the way they disable a pipebomb or something. You guys are making me nervous here!! :eek2:

ohiois350 10-01-10 07:56 PM

I did the steering damper yesterday without disconnect the neg battery, I just unplug the 2 yellow airbag cables and the black wire from the airbag, so took the airbag off completely, after I installed the damper I connect everything back, and they work just fine, there is not thing to worry:p as long as you don't turn on the car while you doing that, you be ok:thumbup:

Bottledfed 10-02-10 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ohiois350 (Post 5832369)
I did the steering damper yesterday without disconnect the neg battery, I just unplug the 2 yellow airbag cables and the black wire from the airbag, so took the airbag off completely, after I installed the damper I connect everything back, and they work just fine, there is not thing to worry:p as long as you don't turn on the car while you doing that, you be ok:thumbup:

Correct, the airbag works like so. I sensors gets contact and send a electrical pulse thru wires to a detonator, the detonator fires and the explosive goes off and fills the bag with compressed air. (That's the short version) But what I was saying is if you get a electrical surge you can prematurely send the electric wave down the wire and set it off.

ahmed24 10-02-10 03:23 PM

king06, you do not need to actually completely take out the airbag. as indicated in the guide, you simply keep the airbag held with one hand and you can remove the screws and the switch controls with the other. There is no need to completely disconnect the airbag