IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

60k price quote

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 06:48 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to run the plugs a lil bit longer (maybe 80K) and recheck. My wife hardly ever punches it or drives hard. I've pulled the plugs out and they look like a 20K mile plug. Even the brake fluid still clear on the reservoir. I will however change the diff with royal purple 75W90 and cabin filters. My engine filter is a K&N so I will just recharge it as normal. Her gas mileage still consistent since we bought it.
Old 04-24-10, 08:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by benzo555
I'm going to run the plugs a lil bit longer (maybe 80K) and recheck. My wife hardly ever punches it or drives hard. I've pulled the plugs out and they look like a 20K mile plug. Even the brake fluid still clear on the reservoir. I will however change the diff with royal purple 75W90 and cabin filters. My engine filter is a K&N so I will just recharge it as normal. Her gas mileage still consistent since we bought it.
That's kinda funny because the one thing you're changing (the diff fluid) is the one thing the owners manual does not call for.

You never change it according to Lexus scheduled maintenance. (though unlike the transmission fluid at least it's physically possible to change it)

(and I haven't really heard anyone give a good reason why you should change the diff fluid in this car, especially since it's not a real LSD)

The brake fluid should be changed every 2 years regardless of mileage (or color) as water gets into the fluid over time regardless of how much you drive it, lowering the boiling point of the fluid.... I know most folks don't, but they ought to.
Old 04-24-10, 02:48 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Kurtz

There was a thread somewhere that someone changed it and had bunch of crud on the magnetic drain bolt. I figure wouldn't hurt but what the heck. I agree on the brake fluid but I'll recheck again at 80K if need so just like the plugs.
Old 04-27-10, 05:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
Ok....I am loving this fun ongoing arguement on who knows the most....and if you did know, an O2 sensor sits behind the catalytic converter to read how well the cat functions (thats what it tells the ECM), an A/F sensor that sits in front of the cat reads the mix coming out of the engine....dont' tell me how engines work because I used to build them, just not this engine....but that is not the point, or the answer to my question.

The posts about the stratified mixture is confusing...if a spark plug is at the top of the combustion chamber, and the piston head is at the bottom, how can both sites be a richer mixture and be lean at the same time? TIS says nothing about running a lean mix, it only states keeping the a/f mix at Stoichiometric 14.7:1...and if the tech post stated that it was lean to 15:1, that is really not much to call it a lean mix...

Anybody that knows how to build and design engines knows that under a full load, you want a richer mix for a short time in the beginning of a powerband and then it should lean out to 14.7:1....I have seen engines blow up on a dyno due to running too lean on a run, and I am sure Lexus doesn't want that to happen either....so again, what is this lean mix???
Would you like to discuss how a 5 wire O2 sensor works or how the planar O2 sensor works? I actually know in excruciating detail since I worked on the DIY-EFI wideband project. Your reply does not indicate you understand oxygen sensing in the exhaust stream at all.

Anyone who's ever tuned an engine to survive a race knows NA engines run no leaner than 13.2:1 on gasoline, and boosted engines run no leaner than 12.4:1 at WOT. I have no idea what you're trying to say about AFR except maybe you're thinking of the old days when we had accelerator pumps on carburetors to shoot a squirt of fuel in the manifold so the engine wouldn't starve. I also have a LOT of experience tuning carburetors from my motorcycle road racing days.

To get back to the lean mix, you missed the entire SAE article on the 2GR-FSE. Read. Learn. Ask questions.
Old 05-25-10, 12:32 AM
Zhi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you don't need to change tranny fluid and diff fluid at all
Old 05-25-10, 02:25 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no you dont, it does not call for it, because it is a lifetime fluid.
Old 05-25-10, 10:28 AM
stooky
Pole Position

i just went in to get the same price quote, to get only the essentials done is only about $720 but thats still a little over charged if you ask me... but with all the options my quote was also around the $1200 range
Old 05-25-10, 07:46 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K to my smart toyota and lexus tech's, how can i change brake fluid on my gs350 awd? I been told i need a special machine that lexus and toyota have to change it. You can't just drain, refill, and pump the brake.
Old 06-07-10, 09:58 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

So I'm getting close to 60K.

Are these the essential 3 maintenance I need to do? I think I can probably get all of these done for around $300 from a trusted mechanic.

Spark Plugs
Brake Fluid change
Oil Change
Old 06-08-10, 07:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Initial_K
So I'm getting close to 60K.

Are these the essential 3 maintenance I need to do? I think I can probably get all of these done for around $300 from a trusted mechanic.

Spark Plugs
Brake Fluid change
Oil Change

That, plus engine and cabin filter changes... but you can do both yourself in about 5 minutes total.
Old 06-08-10, 12:06 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 260 Posts

Same for a BMW "Inspection II" ($1200) at 60k and 120k. This is to change oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filters, plugs, brake fluid and coolant. They also say to remove brake pads to inspect pads and rotors but I don't think they do this. You gotta pay to play if you want to play with the dealers.

I never ask for a 60k service - I just ask them to change the specific items that need changing. Costs me less than 1/2 the mileage-based "service" cost. And they check all those other things, anyway, to try and find something (anything!) else to charge you for!
Old 06-09-10, 04:34 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
That, plus engine and cabin filter changes... but you can do both yourself in about 5 minutes total.
What you mean by Engine Filter and where can I purchase one. Already install the cabin air filter.
Old 06-09-10, 04:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Initial_K
What you mean by Engine Filter and where can I purchase one. Already install the cabin air filter.
I mean the filter that filters the air going into your engine.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...-2008-119.html
Old 06-09-10, 05:19 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

I remember paying for the 60K maintenance on my 97 Corolla. I ended up being a laughing stock... it cost me 500 bucks. But that was early in my college days and I actually believed I had to refill my headlight fluid.

Nowadays, I do everything myself and avoid the stealership. 500 bucks was the price I paid for a lifetime of experience. Lexus charges like $150+ per hour of labor, So prepare to grab your ankles if you want dealer to do maintenance or repair work for you.

If you don't know what is required to be serviced under 60K ask them and use that as a check list of what can be done at the local mechanics. They'll charge cheaper... and again make sure the shop is reliable
Old 06-09-10, 08:14 PM
VF84
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JVT
Just be happy you don't own an AMG/European highend car. If that price is shocking, you will have a heart attack when you hear the cost to maintain a highend euro car.
2k+ for 30k mile service on a 96 c36. try it sometime

Quick Reply: 60k price quote