IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

60k price quote

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 08:18 AM
dixieman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't we all just get along ? 06isDriver is right.
Old 04-22-10, 08:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
I am done with this....believe what you want...you can only read your forums, while others actually work in the industry...if someone wants to flush their WS transmission, our machines have adapters for non-cooler WS transmissions...and my bad for suggesting you can hold off on spark plugs for a bit to lower a 60k service visit....

"adapters" to adapt to what? What specific adapter are you talking about?

There are no external connections to the transmission that hold transmission fluid. This was also explained (with TIS diagrams of the heat exchanger posted) in the 7 page "why it is impossible to change the transmission fluid" thread several years ago.

Again, you appear to just be making up stuff that doesn't apply to any of the Lexus vehicles we're actually discussing.

We have folks who are actually in the industry in that they work for Lexus dealerships, not Toyota ones, and they also have stated the fluid can't be changed.

The actual people who built the car (Lexus) say it can't be changed.

You've yet to provide any solid information otherwise.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-22-10 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 10:05 AM
djbugz
Pole Position

Sooooooooo... I wanted to wash my car today but it's raining...
Old 04-22-10, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that was a waste of time.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Lexus programming. And I do appreciate the concise 60K mile ISx50 service summary.
Old 04-22-10, 06:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,850 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Ok Captain Kurtz...if you really want some help, you sure do have a nice way of asking for it...and just know that I am going to let everyone know how to change the WS fluid because I am here to help, not because of your smart *** comments...but it should show you that maybe there are people out there that might know a bit more than you...

Last Modified: 2-16-2010 6.4 N From: 200508
Model Year: 2006 Model: IS350 Doc ID: RM0000013BU00CX
Title: A760E AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID: ADJUSTMENT (2006 IS350)

ADJUSTMENT
1. BEFORE FILLING TRANSMISSION

This transmission requires Toyota Genuine ATF WS.
It is necessary to refill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid.
The vehicle must remain level while adjusting the transmission fluid level.
2. FILL TRANSMISSION PAN WITH FLUID

(a) Remove the 2 bolts and transmission case cover.

(b) Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.

(c) Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins to trickle out of the overflow tube.

(d) Reinstall the overflow plug.

3. FILL TRANSMISSION

(a) Fill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid as listed in the table below.

(b) Reinstall the refill plug to avoid fluid splash.

These are instructions from TIS, I did not include the pictures because I am sure I will get in trouble for cutting and pasting information directly from TIS. I hope this helps everyone, including you Captain Kurtz....
Why do people post things that are patently wrong even when they have access to the factory documentation?

Kids, don't try this at home - it won't work and it won't do what our Toyota service manager is claiming.
Old 04-22-10, 08:25 PM
JDMis350
Driver

no i agree with u guys.i didnt ask for it. i brought my car in for a Power steering problem i was having.and im at 59k so they recommended it to me anyways tryin to sell me on the spark plugs.and i then asked what it was goin to cost me then i found out. and like you said kurtz pretty much out of the things he named to me that get performed the spark plugs r the only thing that sounded important.oil change i do every 3 with full synthethic i change my cabins often with cabin from a jiffy lube.cuz i work there haha( dont go to jiffy lube in temecula for cabins they r all semi used by me i use it for a month then swap for a new one and put mine back in the box)... brake fluid change yes i can do brakes too, i can bleed the lines and pump clean fluid through and suck out the bad stuff from the resivoir untill clean jus pumps when i hit the brakes.takes like 15min. pretty much Kurtz is right man they double up on u when all they are doin is the same service as most others. thats y i stopped goin to the dealer. once i learnerd how to do everything legit on my car i saved a lot of money.

i forgot who mentioned a family mechanic but yeah bro we do have one.didnt really think about using him because i usually do all my own simple services myself up til the spark plugs. which im sure i can do if i saw it done or something but i jus dont have full confidence on tryin it on my own car.without any knowledge on it.ha. but for that price from the dealer i think i will have to call my dads mechanic.and se if he can and will do it.
Old 04-22-10, 08:51 PM
JDMis350
Driver

now that i read the whole thread its funny because it turned into a pissing contest between 2 members. anyways yeah i had a lil disagreement with kurtz a while back but now that i see how he is.hes actually a cool guy with a point and seems like he jus aint gonna back down jus cuz u say ur a service manager. because facts are facts and anyone can find them on our cars.so he knows just as much as you do.im not against anyone im jus sayin the dudes not gunna back down hahaha.but its funny cuz he actually knows wat hes talkin about too.POWER TO YOU BROTHA! anyways if there was a legit way to do tranny flushes on our cars i would do it in a heartbeat .but the fact that they made it this hard to even get all the fluid out and they sealed it and they say it has lifetime fluid im sure its for a reason. and the reason wasnt to see if anyone can figure out how to do it.they prolly want u to leave it alone. they have a machine called an automatic transmission saver at my work that even i can use (cuz its simple) jus as long as its not a sealed tranny.we need a dip stick port.which we do not have in our cars for the tranny.thats y i cant use the machine on my car.the machine works good too.
Old 04-23-10, 07:04 AM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

What does direct injection have to do with sparkplug life? Seriously, not trying to be a smartazz...

Brandon
Old 04-23-10, 11:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUSROLLIN
What does direct injection have to do with sparkplug life? Seriously, not trying to be a smartazz...

Brandon
Among other things it means the motor is running higher compression, leaner fuel mixtures, and in some cases a stratified charge that is richer near the plug and leaner elsewhere...

to steal from an earlier Lobuxracer post-
It fires multiple times at different degrees of rotation to create a stratified charge effect in the combustion chamber improving efficiency and allowing a leaner overall burn without the problems of attempting to light a very lean mixture without enough fuel near the sparkplug.
Old 04-23-10, 11:15 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Among other things it means the motor is running higher compression, leaner fuel mixtures, and in some cases a stratified charge that is richer near the plug and leaner elsewhere...

to steal from an earlier Lobuxracer post-
Ok, since I know nothing about Lexus vehicles, please tell me how using 2 injectors per cylinder creates a leaner mixture?

And here is exactly how the direct injection works:

The D-4S system is a system which combines a direct injection system and a port injection system which injects fuel to the intake ports. This system optimally controls the two types of fuel injectors according to the driving conditions.
 When the engine is running under a medium or high load at lower speeds, both the direct and port injection systems are used. This control creates a homogeneous air-fuel mixture to stabilize combustion, improve fuel efficiency, and reduce emissions.
 When the engine is running under heavy load, direct injection system is used. This control achieves an intake cooling effect by injecting fuel directly to the combustion chamber, which improves the efficiency of each charge. This control also allows the compression ratio of the engine to be higher by reducing the tendency of the compressed mixture to preignite or detonate. The increased compression ratio improves engine output and performance.
Old 04-23-10, 11:23 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Why are you guys in shock with the 60k maintenance cost? You are driving a Lexus, not a Toyota.

Just be happy you don't own an AMG/European highend car. If that price is shocking, you will have a heart attack when you hear the cost to maintain a highend euro car.
Old 04-23-10, 12:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, since I know nothing about Lexus vehicles, please tell me how using 2 injectors per cylinder creates a leaner mixture?

And here is exactly how the direct injection works:

The D-4S system is a system which combines a direct injection system and a port injection system which injects fuel to the intake ports. This system optimally controls the two types of fuel injectors according to the driving conditions.
When the engine is running under a medium or high load at lower speeds, both the direct and port injection systems are used. This control creates a homogeneous air-fuel mixture to stabilize combustion, improve fuel efficiency, and reduce emissions.
When the engine is running under heavy load, direct injection system is used. This control achieves an intake cooling effect by injecting fuel directly to the combustion chamber, which improves the efficiency of each charge. This control also allows the compression ratio of the engine to be higher by reducing the tendency of the compressed mixture to preignite or detonate. The increased compression ratio improves engine output and performance.

This is more stuff that was explained here years ago... you'd do well to do some searching if you'd like to learn some more about the basics of Lexus technology

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Just to clarify, DI engines create a stratified mixture where the area around the spark plug is relatively rich in fuel and the rest of the combustion chamber is lean (~20:1 or so but it changes per design etc...) This is done by injecting the fuel into a “sub-chamber” that is designed into the piston crown.

Or if you want more detail-

Originally Posted by SAE Tech Briefs - January 2006
...First the port injector injects fuel during the expansion and intake strokes before the intake valves open. Homogeneous charge is introduced into the combustion chamber when the intake valves open. During the latter part of the compression stroke, the direct-injector spurts fuel into the cavity in the piston crown, forming “weak lean stratified charge”; in the combustion chamber, the air/fuel ratio is in the 15-to-one range. The centrally positioned spark plug ignites the richer mixture during the expansion stroke. This combustion process retards ignition timing without adverse effects in the engine’s running, enabling higher exhaust temperature to quickly light off the catalyst.
The piston cavity’s sole purpose is for this weak stratified-charge operation, and it need not be a deep one—only 5.0-mm in depth. The oval cavity is a Toyota/Abe patent, its shape and position in relation to the spark plug optimized so that all the mixtures in the cavity reflect and travel to the spark in equal distance. The D-4Sequipped 2GR-FSE qualifies for the PA ULEV II emission category, versus the D-4 3GR-FSE’s ULEV I classification...

Hope this clears things up for you

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-23-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 04:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,850 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Ok, since I know nothing about Lexus vehicles, please tell me how using 2 injectors per cylinder creates a leaner mixture?...
How does the number of injectors impact rich/lean? I could have ten injectors per cylinder and still run lean if I wanted. Best of all, I have an O2 sensor capable of telling the ECM what the actual a/f ratio is (wideband planar type) so I can tell the injector to stay on exactly as long as I need to hit a target AFR. I can even use ST and LT to adjust for short and long term adjustments in open loop.

So, what else would you like to know about Lexus engine management?
Old 04-23-10, 04:41 PM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JVT
Why are you guys in shock with the 60k maintenance cost? You are driving a Lexus, not a Toyota.

Just be happy you don't own an AMG/European highend car. If that price is shocking, you will have a heart attack when you hear the cost to maintain a highend euro car.
I have a 89 Mercedes as my other car, and ya it's no joke what euro's charge for service... especially for parts alone. =/ Make me justify the services for the Lex

but seriously which stealership quoted you >$1k?

also... because i have less CL posts does that mean I know less?

Last edited by cdeeznuts; 04-23-10 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-24-10, 04:16 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How does the number of injectors impact rich/lean? I could have ten injectors per cylinder and still run lean if I wanted. Best of all, I have an O2 sensor capable of telling the ECM what the actual a/f ratio is (wideband planar type) so I can tell the injector to stay on exactly as long as I need to hit a target AFR. I can even use ST and LT to adjust for short and long term adjustments in open loop.

So, what else would you like to know about Lexus engine management?
Ok....I am loving this fun ongoing arguement on who knows the most....and if you did know, an O2 sensor sits behind the catalytic converter to read how well the cat functions (thats what it tells the ECM), an A/F sensor that sits in front of the cat reads the mix coming out of the engine....dont' tell me how engines work because I used to build them, just not this engine....but that is not the point, or the answer to my question.

The posts about the stratified mixture is confusing...if a spark plug is at the top of the combustion chamber, and the piston head is at the bottom, how can both sites be a richer mixture and be lean at the same time? TIS says nothing about running a lean mix, it only states keeping the a/f mix at Stoichiometric 14.7:1...and if the tech post stated that it was lean to 15:1, that is really not much to call it a lean mix...

Anybody that knows how to build and design engines knows that under a full load, you want a richer mix for a short time in the beginning of a powerband and then it should lean out to 14.7:1....I have seen engines blow up on a dyno due to running too lean on a run, and I am sure Lexus doesn't want that to happen either....so again, what is this lean mix???

Quick Reply: 60k price quote