IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

need to change wheels...no choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 02:43 PM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to change wheels...no choice

Have a '08 350/sport package. Right now I have the stock 5 spoke wheels on it, which I like, but there is one problem. One of my front wheels was scraped ( I didn't do it ), and decided to get it repaired last winter, when my snow tires were put on. I got the wheel back, and initially, it looked great. The scuff was gone, and all was good. When April came around, I put my wheels back on. It took me about a month to notice, but the front wheel that was repaired was a different shade than the others. xxxx ! Probably no one else notices it, but I DO ! Can't take my eyes off it. Can't live with it that way. I don't want to replace it with a new rim, fearing that it may be a different shade than my other wheels that already have some miles on them. So I've decided to go with the Lexus g-spider wheels. I like the stock look rather than aftermarket. They have been ordered and will be installed in 2 weeks, but I am hoping they look as good as some of the pictures I have seen online. Anxious times. I definitely learned something about wheel repair when it comes these type of rims. I wouldn't have got the scuff removed if I knew that they couldn't color match the wheels perfectly. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, as well as a little obsessive when it comes to my car. Just venting and hope others out there know where i am coming from. I hope the g spiders will take the pain away.........
Old 10-03-09, 05:21 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I think you will really like the G-spiders. I know where you are coming from. I had a few scrapes on my rims (plus bubbling on all 4), so I'm having all 4 of mine repaired. I couldn't stand to look at them the way they were, so hopefully they'll come out good. Also, for going Lexus, I got the machined Tourmalines!
Old 10-03-09, 08:06 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Why not get your existing wheels painted the all same color?
Old 10-04-09, 04:01 AM
Weezy$Baby
Driver

post up some pics man, people will tend to help you out more if you have any pics is a ++

peace
Old 10-04-09, 01:21 PM
350ISRYDER
Pole Position

Default Powdercoat...

Originally Posted by jmac350
Have a '08 350/sport package. Right now I have the stock 5 spoke wheels on it, which I like, but there is one problem. One of my front wheels was scraped ( I didn't do it ), and decided to get it repaired last winter, when my snow tires were put on. I got the wheel back, and initially, it looked great. The scuff was gone, and all was good. When April came around, I put my wheels back on. It took me about a month to notice, but the front wheel that was repaired was a different shade than the others. xxxx ! Probably no one else notices it, but I DO ! Can't take my eyes off it. Can't live with it that way. I don't want to replace it with a new rim, fearing that it may be a different shade than my other wheels that already have some miles on them. So I've decided to go with the Lexus g-spider wheels. I like the stock look rather than aftermarket. They have been ordered and will be installed in 2 weeks, but I am hoping they look as good as some of the pictures I have seen online. Anxious times. I definitely learned something about wheel repair when it comes these type of rims. I wouldn't have got the scuff removed if I knew that they couldn't color match the wheels perfectly. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, as well as a little obsessive when it comes to my car. Just venting and hope others out there know where i am coming from. I hope the g spiders will take the pain away.........
Have your 5 spoke star powdercoated
Old 10-04-09, 04:46 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

You're just looking for an excuse to get some new wheels
Old 10-04-09, 04:57 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

i need to change my wheels too...
Old 10-04-09, 05:33 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the g-spiders but im on a tight budget for mods so i am gunna powder coat mine black. i wish i could get the wheels your getting. on the choice
Old 10-05-09, 01:37 PM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

Default good idea

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
Why not get your existing wheels painted the all same color?
Thanks Clay for the good idea. I love my stock 18" wheels, so I went to the wheel repair shop where it was done and talked to them. The manager who runs the place could see the difference between the repaired wheel and the rear wheel. He explained that you would never get an exact match when you repaint. It's close, but not close enough for me. I then asked about repainting all 4. He told me no problem and that he would do the repaired wheel at no charge. I am going to take my wheels down to him once I get my winter tires on, and talk to his painter to discuss exactly what I am looking for. My rims already have a little gun metal in them, and am leaning on getting them painted just a tad darker, but retain some silver. Still not cheap, but it's more than half the cost of new rims, and I will only be paying for three. Got a real good feel for the guy, that he knows what he is talking about and that he can deliver what he says. I like the g spyders, but didn't love them, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the tip. Will post pictures once I get them done and back on my car.
Old 10-05-09, 03:31 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy350
i need to change my wheels too...
shhh...
Old 10-05-09, 05:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing wheels is good for the economy.
Old 10-05-09, 05:18 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmac350
Thanks Clay for the good idea. I love my stock 18" wheels, so I went to the wheel repair shop where it was done and talked to them. The manager who runs the place could see the difference between the repaired wheel and the rear wheel. He explained that you would never get an exact match when you repaint. It's close, but not close enough for me. I then asked about repainting all 4. He told me no problem and that he would do the repaired wheel at no charge. I am going to take my wheels down to him once I get my winter tires on, and talk to his painter to discuss exactly what I am looking for. My rims already have a little gun metal in them, and am leaning on getting them painted just a tad darker, but retain some silver. Still not cheap, but it's more than half the cost of new rims, and I will only be paying for three. Got a real good feel for the guy, that he knows what he is talking about and that he can deliver what he says. I like the g spyders, but didn't love them, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the tip. Will post pictures once I get them done and back on my car.
Awesome, glad to hear it is working out for you.