i can't believe i'm hijacking my own thread:

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=156460&page=1&zoomIdx=1

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15646...liability.html
Old 07-10-09, 11:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob
Heh, that's the same survey I quoted in my last post, just a year newer data.

What's especially funny is the brand Koz likes scores as bad, or worse, than ipod in every single category.
Old 07-10-09, 12:37 PM
silentbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Heh, that's the same survey I quoted in my last post, just a year newer data.

What's especially funny is the brand Koz likes scores as bad, or worse, than ipod in every single category.
I think Koz has a valid point in the sense that ipods are not the perfect, end all be all mp3 player that people think. i think the major pull of ipods is the interface, media capabilities, and sexiness, but reliability and sound quality is not one of their best attributes. Judging from the survey, I think there are probably brands out their that put out more reliable mp3 players than ipods, and I think it's reasonable to say that ipods have less than average (but not horrific) reliability. I've had 3 ipods, and 1 of them died, but I'll probably continue to buy them in the future. If I had gone thru what Koz did and experienced 4 ipods dying, I would probably have the same opinion of ipods as him.
Old 07-10-09, 01:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob
I think Koz has a valid point in the sense that ipods are not the perfect, end all be all mp3 player that people think. i think the major pull of ipods is the interface, media capabilities, and sexiness, but reliability and sound quality is not one of their best attributes. Judging from the survey, I think there are probably brands out their that put out more reliable mp3 players than ipods, and I think it's reasonable to say that ipods have less than average (but not horrific) reliability. I've had 3 ipods, and 1 of them died, but I'll probably continue to buy them in the future. If I had gone thru what Koz did and experienced 4 ipods dying, I would probably have the same opinion of ipods as him.
I never said they were perfect... nothing's perfect...

If another company offered mp3 players with reasonably large capacity (100gb or bigger) I'd have seriously considered their offering against the ipod, and tried to compare them on reliability, interface, features, and price...but nobody did/does.

But when you look at PC Worlds reliability surveys the ipods are always either above average (as in the first one I posted) or roughly in the middle (like the second one posted)...

Sadly those results don't break down by model, but I suspect you'll see relatively few problems with the flash-based models, and more problems with the HD based ones (and that goes for any brand) because people tend to bang portable stuff around and HDs don't handle that nearly as well as flash memory.
Old 07-10-09, 01:36 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by irfan
you can change your settings to not go back to the nav screen automatically.
How do you change that option? Or can you just change the timing so it doesnt go back to the map screen so quickly?

Anyways, i have a DICE kit and i like it. I click Albums> then i use the tune dial to search through album. After i find the album, i can click Track then text to change tracks within the album.

The best part i see, is when i press TEXT. It will always show the song title/album even when im driving(just press Audio, and it will show the text). I can control the iPod on the fly even when driving(which i believe the vaistech cannot do, since they use the CD function). I just wish we were able to see a full list of albums, and not to have to scroll through the whole ipod.
Old 07-10-09, 01:56 PM
silentbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I never said they were perfect... nothing's perfect...

If another company offered mp3 players with reasonably large capacity (100gb or bigger) I'd have seriously considered their offering against the ipod, and tried to compare them on reliability, interface, features, and price...but nobody did/does.

But when you look at PC Worlds reliability surveys the ipods are always either above average (as in the first one I posted) or roughly in the middle (like the second one posted)...

Sadly those results don't break down by model, but I suspect you'll see relatively few problems with the flash-based models, and more problems with the HD based ones (and that goes for any brand) because people tend to bang portable stuff around and HDs don't handle that nearly as well as flash memory.
I never accused you of believing ipods are perfect...i'm saying that depending on what each individual is particularly looking for in an mp3 player, there's a good chance there are good alternatives out there.