forgive me for i have sinned

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 05:36 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forgive me for i have sinned

ive committed a treacherous act on my car

ok so after being asked by the stealership if i wanted to pay for a throttle body cleaning, i decided i would do it myself since many members here at club lexus said it is a fairly easy process. i proceeded to clean my throttle body with the CRC throttle body cleaner. the only thing is, i didnt remove the throttle body from the car, i couldnt figure out how. to make matters worse, i figured it would be ok to just spray the stuff directly in/on the throttle body. then, i let it sit so that it could dry. a couple of hours later i reattach my K&N typhoon and attempt to start the engine...it sputtered but eventually started, but not without some small problems. the entire car felt like it was shaking a bit too much..there were other issues but i cant explain them, i just knew something was wrong (sound differences, etc)..so i killed the engine. anyway, i think i may have sprayed too much throttle body cleaner O.o..now im worried about SERIOUSLY damaging my engine...as of now i took the intake back off and ive left the butterfly valve open to help it air out.

also, to consider all variables, i think i should mention that i cleaned my MAF sensor as well. i also disconnected the connector to the negative end of the battery.

thx for ur help guys...boy do i feel embarrassingly stupid
Old 05-17-09, 05:42 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

its an engine it will be fine...im sure toyota engineers idiot proofed the motor for such things
Old 05-17-09, 06:38 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Ooo maybe let it run for a bit on idle and see if the problem continues. If it does bring it to a shop to get it check asap.
Old 05-18-09, 06:52 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sinister2c
its an engine it will be fine...im sure toyota engineers idiot proofed the motor for such things
I 2nd that!
Old 05-18-09, 06:55 AM
09 LEX 250
Driver

lol thats crazy..but enough with all that bible crap
Old 05-18-09, 07:06 AM
schase
Pole Position

yea it aint nothing
1 time i change my plugs and spray thro. cleaner in the hole to clean the sparkplug walls
when i started it up all i seee is pure white smoke from muffler i taught the engine was dead but all the brake cleaner do is clean then dry it self off
Old 05-18-09, 07:17 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spraying carb, brake, and MAF cleaner in the engine is a great way to hose all the lubricant off of internal parts.

No offense, but if you don't have the mechanical ability to remove a TB, then you probably shouldn't be cleaning it.
Old 05-18-09, 07:17 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you sprayed the MAF(which is mounted in the pipe near the filter) you may have F'ed up. Now the throttle body cleaner won't hurt the motor, but it will strip the coating off the sensor and thermistor at the MAF. The cleaner will also hurt your Cats, O2 sensors if you flooded the motor with it. How long did you let it sit after you sprayed and how much did you use? (the whole can?)
Old 05-18-09, 07:20 AM
MORE4MY 4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by x2mkx
ive committed a treacherous act on my car

ok so after being asked by the stealership if i wanted to pay for a throttle body cleaning, i decided i would do it myself since many members here at club lexus said it is a fairly easy process. i proceeded to clean my throttle body with the CRC throttle body cleaner. the only thing is, i didnt remove the throttle body from the car, i couldnt figure out how. to make matters worse, i figured it would be ok to just spray the stuff directly in/on the throttle body. then, i let it sit so that it could dry. a couple of hours later i reattach my K&N typhoon and attempt to start the engine...it sputtered but eventually started, but not without some small problems. the entire car felt like it was shaking a bit too much..there were other issues but i cant explain them, i just knew something was wrong (sound differences, etc)..so i killed the engine. anyway, i think i may have sprayed too much throttle body cleaner O.o..now im worried about SERIOUSLY damaging my engine...as of now i took the intake back off and ive left the butterfly valve open to help it air out.

also, to consider all variables, i think i should mention that i cleaned my MAF sensor as well. i also disconnected the connector to the negative end of the battery.

thx for ur help guys...boy do i feel embarrassingly stupid
Ok this is what to do start back up the car and let it run it would clear up itself TRUST me I do it all the time I did it to my 98 gs 400 and now i have a 06 gs 430 and also my race car it will clear up . It will shake a lil until everything burn off .
Old 05-18-09, 07:20 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

BTW that stuff is supposed to be used with the motor running (which you can't do with the IS) So you have to remove the TB. It will also eat the intake gasket material very quickly! It may clear up by taking it down the road
Old 05-18-09, 07:24 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by schase
yea it aint nothing
1 time i change my plugs and spray thro. cleaner in the hole to clean the sparkplug walls
when i started it up all i seee is pure white smoke from muffler i taught the engine was dead but all the brake cleaner do is clean then dry it self off
You did what?? Man, lol
Old 05-18-09, 08:46 AM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should start again, and let it run for a few minutes.. I don't think it is a big problem for your eng.
Old 05-18-09, 01:38 PM
x2mkx
Driver

ok well i just let it run and i got the white soke some of you mentioned...but now it seems to be running fine. as for my MAF sensor, i think it is fine...thx for the help guys, sry for being such a nub -.-
Old 05-18-09, 07:48 PM
IS35O
Pole Position

Damn why would you do that in the first place ? Was the throttle sticking ? How many miles are you at ? Best of luck bro..
Old 05-18-09, 08:07 PM
Moredeeb77
Driver School Candidate

start it up and flour it for 35 seconds... blow that stuff out!