IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will my dealership step up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 03:07 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
Ok, I've found a couple of flaws now. Anyone have some thoughts on these?

1. The paint is what I would describe as warbly. The reflection on the non re-painted surface is clear. My reflection on the painted surface looks like it almost has ripples. Does it take additional time to dry or settle? I'm not overly familiar with body work.

2. They must have painted part of my driver's side panel because they took off the clear bra and didn't replace it. Seems like I should at least get the clear bra piece back, not?

I'm not overly happy right now, but maybe I'm wrong and someone can educate me.
1. That's called orange peel, and it means they didn't properly wet sand and polish the repainted surface. Don't let them touch it - pay a good detailer to handle it, or they'll probably remove too much clear and leave you with a finish swirled to hell.

2. Did the dealer install the clear bra, or did you do that on your own? If they did it, then it's reasonable to expect it to be repaired. If you did that on your own, getting it replaced is either out of pocket or with your insurance company. I would just pay for it unless you had the clear bra installed at the same dealer that provided the service.

It's not uncommon for orange peel to be there after a repaint. Very few shops can do it correctly, and even less care either way because most customers don't notice these things.
Old 04-18-09, 07:56 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
1. That's called orange peel, and it means they didn't properly wet sand and polish the repainted surface. Don't let them touch it - pay a good detailer to handle it, or they'll probably remove too much clear and leave you with a finish swirled to hell.

2. Did the dealer install the clear bra, or did you do that on your own? If they did it, then it's reasonable to expect it to be repaired. If you did that on your own, getting it replaced is either out of pocket or with your insurance company. I would just pay for it unless you had the clear bra installed at the same dealer that provided the service.

It's not uncommon for orange peel to be there after a repaint. Very few shops can do it correctly, and even less care either way because most customers don't notice these things.
1. You are right. I just haven't had any experience with orange peel before. Some guys in the detailing thread were nice enough to help me identify it. They did end up buffing it that morning (and they let me watch for awhile), and it did look a little better, but it was hard to tell from their lighting, so I get to look at it over the weekend and touch base with them next week. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this topic (in here and the detailing thread). You guys have been so helpful and I'm very appreciative.

2. I had a ventureshield put on through someone else. I told the salesman and the financing person I wanted a clear bra (when I bought my car), and neither of them even told me that they (the dealership) sells them. I find that odd. I guess I can't have that piece of the clear bra installed until after the paint cures in 60 days. I was told that since the work was warranty that they would schedule an appointment with my installer. I guess service just forgot to mention that to me when I picked up the car.

Things are looking up. I think this process just makes it clear how important communication is between different departments (aka service and autobody).
Old 05-12-09, 10:40 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car back yesterday. It's been an ordeal.

I had my car in last Tuesday and left work 3 times (per their request) to look at the job (wet sanding I believe) they did. Every time it looked a little better, until the last time when they took off too much and the fisheyes were removed and it subsequently exposed the body, which led to yesterday (when 2 panels got repainted).

I got it back and it looks better (no fisheyes that I can see), but there is orange peel. I'm just going to live with it. I've taken a lot of time off work to get to this point, and I just don't have the energy to deal with it anymore.

I've also been found that even some new vehicles have orange peel, so I'm going to let it go otherwise I'm not going to have any clearcoat left (due to wetsanding) and I'll be in the exact same situation as before.

I read somewhere that most people don't even notice orange peel...I guess that means I'm too picky. If anyone has any good tips for 'hiding' orange peel, please feel free to throw them this direction. ;-)

/sigh