IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will my dealership step up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 08:54 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my dealership step up?

I need to preface this by saying, I never had any problems with my Accord, but I understand that #*it happens.

This weekend my door got fubar'd. I closed it and there was a loud crunching sound. I opened it and there was a snap and a nut fell on the ground.

It looks like a nut fell out of the door assembly and I closed it on the nut. It no longer closes properly and the window doesn't roll down all the way. The outside of the door is now chipped where it apparently got caught in the seam (near the hinges), and the inner trim is a little damaged from it not closing properly (near the latch and the entire top part of the door where it apparently scraped wrong).

I'm interested to see how my dealership treats me because I've heard some horror stories from some of my friends, and because I saw the writeup on the order and it says customer "claims" (yes it was actually in quotes) bolt (it was actually a nut) got caught in door, and then I overheard one of the service guys say something to the effect of "..the customer is at fault"

I did get a voicemail saying they were going to order some parts and asking if I needed a loaner (since it was going to need some very minor autobody work), but she was busy with another customer when I called back.

1300 miles appears to be unlucky.

Any bets on whether the dealership step up? If they do, they'll probably retain me as a customer for a long, long time. If not, well....I'll probably look elsewhere.
Old 04-08-09, 12:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So where's the rest of the story......
Old 04-08-09, 12:26 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
So where's the rest of the story......
Here's all I got for now:

Yesterday, I dropped off the car and they called back and said they need to order some parts, and then it needs to visit their body shop.

I'm supposed to get it back on Friday. I'm hoping to report that they fixed everything under warranty, and that it looks good as new.
Old 04-08-09, 12:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rebs

Yesterday, I dropped off the car and they called back and said they need to order some parts, and then it needs to visit their body shop.

I'm supposed to get it back on Friday. I'm hoping to report that they fixed everything under warranty, and that it looks good as new.
Sounds good. What model/year is your Lexus?
Old 04-08-09, 12:32 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Sounds good. What model/year is your Lexus?
About the same as yours. 2008 Lexus IS350 SGM (no sport package...luxury package. I would rather had the sport package, but got a good deal on this config.)

Last edited by rebs; 04-08-09 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 12:59 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

As long as they take care of it with no charge to you this shouldn't be a big deal. And if you're still unhappy with the "Lexus experience" you can always go back to Honda and be happy again
Old 04-08-09, 01:13 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mvlbr
As long as they take care of it with no charge to you this shouldn't be a big deal. And if you're still unhappy with the "Lexus experience" you can always go back to Honda and be happy again
I did love my Honda. I know lots of people here make fun of them (and Acura) here, but the dealership always treated me right, and I never had any mechanical problems (at all...literally). However, having said all of that, my Accord felt boring to me, and it made me feel prematurely old. ;-)

I did a lot of research before I bought my Lexus IS350 (i.e. people made fun of me because I had multiple spreadsheets comparing interiors, exteriors, technology, pricing, etc). So, needless to say, I really like my car, and they've been good to me so far (i.e. on the easy stuff like the 1k checkup, etc.), so I'm hopeful that they'll step up to the plate and get this resolved for me.

Also, since I'm a computer geek, and not the most mechanically inclined person on the planet, they have the opportunity to make some money off me when I look to get some of my F-Sport accessories installed (if they treat me right with my warranty work). :-)

Disclaimer: I'm probably just being nervous/over-protective about this entire situation. It's just I really like my car (so far), and it's still my baby. This incident is really my 1st "scratch".
Old 04-08-09, 09:28 PM
chavezguy
Driver

Keeps up posted i am curious.... I have taken my car 4 times for various minor stuff... and have always been taking care of under warranty no ? asked... as a matter of fact my car is at the dealership now! I am in a is250 2009 loaner car........... I love the Lexus service and i always get a free tank of gas when its in there for warranty work! I also came from a Honda accord!
Old 04-09-09, 05:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I need to preface this by saying, I never had any problems with my Accord, but I understand that #*it happens.

This weekend my door got fubar'd. I closed it and there was a loud crunching sound. I opened it and there was a snap and a nut fell on the ground.

It looks like a nut fell out of the door assembly and I closed it on the nut. It no longer closes properly and the window doesn't roll down all the way. The outside of the door is now chipped where it apparently got caught in the seam (near the hinges), and the inner trim is a little damaged from it not closing properly (near the latch and the entire top part of the door where it apparently scraped wrong).

I'm interested to see how my dealership treats me because I've heard some horror stories from some of my friends, and because I saw the writeup on the order and it says customer "claims" (yes it was actually in quotes) bolt (it was actually a nut) got caught in door, and then I overheard one of the service guys say something to the effect of "..the customer is at fault"

I did get a voicemail saying they were going to order some parts and asking if I needed a loaner (since it was going to need some very minor autobody work), but she was busy with another customer when I called back.

1300 miles appears to be unlucky.

Any bets on whether the dealership step up? If they do, they'll probably retain me as a customer for a long, long time. If not, well....I'll probably look elsewhere.
I always see them put customer "claims" or "states" in the write up. Even when I had my brake dust TSB done.
Old 04-09-09, 05:07 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't think they would do ANY body work without an estimate if they expected YOU to pay for it.
Old 04-09-09, 07:17 AM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

im a honda freak and yet i drive a toyota ha. but i think honda and toyota customer service is great. maybe thats why they are always battling for #1 and #2 ??
Old 04-09-09, 08:58 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

All good info (about the statement 'customer "claims"', and estimates being almost a semi-requirement now).

I can't wait to get my car back. I've been driving my truck or motorcycle all week (depending on the weather). I probably should have taken the loaner, but last time I got the ES and it felt like a boat...no offense...it was just how 'I' felt.

Man I hope I get it back tomorrow. I'm going through serious withdrawal (which I know is sad).
Old 04-09-09, 09:16 AM
YellowCopy
Rookie

Although I would agree that on the paperwork it would be more consumer friendly if they used "states" instead of "claims", but in reality I'm sure that alot of people lie to their service departments to get things taken care of under warranty when the mechanical issue was caused by the user. Not to mention the service writer wasn't there when it happened. All they have to go by is the observed damage and what you claim to have happened. Enjoy your rental, I know that I'm ready to get my IS back from the dealer, this ES feels too much like a Camry LE V6....
Old 04-09-09, 10:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I can't wait to get my car back. I've been driving my truck or motorcycle all week (depending on the weather). I probably should have taken the loaner, but last time I got the ES and it felt like a boat...no offense...it was just how 'I' felt.

Man I hope I get it back tomorrow. I'm going through serious withdrawal (which I know is sad).
Any reason to decline a free loaner car, even if it's a ES350?
Old 04-09-09, 10:40 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Any reason to decline a free loaner car, even if it's a ES350?
No reason I can think of although they did tell me if I drove over 20 miles (I believe per day) that I needed to fill-up the tank with gas.

Personally, I just have to park on the street most of the time, and I don't really enjoy parking that beast. I'll probably get it next time though.

I probably should do what some other people do and schedule a road trip that coincides with my loaner. lol

Quick Reply: Will my dealership step up?