IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Push Button Start is making a noise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 07:24 PM
AUbeast86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Push Button Start is making a noise...

right after i push it and right before the engine turns over. The best way I know how to describe the noise is that is an "electronic grinding" noise. Kinda like a rapidly winding clock winding. Any of you guys ever had that?
Old 12-29-08, 07:37 PM
MiamiIS350
Driver

Take it to the dealer, my car had the same thing. Its something with the cluster, they replace it under warranty. Not sure if its a recall, but they will replace it.
Old 12-29-08, 08:10 PM
AUbeast86
Rookie

Originally Posted by MiamiIS350
Take it to the dealer, my car had the same thing. Its something with the cluster, they replace it under warranty. Not sure if its a recall, but they will replace it.
thanks. i have an appointment with the stealership tomorrow. i just wanted to check with you guys before they feed me a line of crap. did they scratch up your dash or anything? every time i take mine in they end up scratching something or leaving fingerprints everywhere.
Old 12-29-08, 09:13 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

From the description, it sounds like steering wheel lock unlocking. You can hear the steering wheel lock locking after you shut off the car the first time a door is opened.

Perhaps your mechanism is getting noisier?
Old 12-29-08, 09:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this start to happen on my IS also? I do think its the steering wheel lock unlocking and not the start button. It got worse with time and was more frequent. I just never took the car in to see what it was. Never had a problem with the car starting.

Post back I am curious what it is??
Old 12-29-08, 09:41 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

it's normal
Old 12-29-08, 09:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by nsxiboi
it's normal
And they won't do anything about it. Funny how my new F doesn't do it and my 350 did it after about a year and a half. I'm betting the F will do it sooner or later though.
Old 12-30-08, 12:35 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

mine has the same problem. its the cluster gage....
Old 12-30-08, 11:55 AM
truciet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its your needles going up and down...try it...

you don't even have to start the car, just turn on the power (acc) and look as the needle goes up and down.

i'm not sure if this is covered for a replacement? i never thought about it again until i read this post lol...

please update what the dealer does...i wouldn't mind a new cluster with fog light signals...
Old 12-30-08, 01:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Try this - park the car in a quiet place, shut the engine off, remove your seat belt, wait until it's quiet, then open the driver's door. When you open the door, the steering lock will engage. It will make a noise of some intensity (mine got louder over time). See if this is the noise you are hearing on start up. If it is not the noise, then it's not the steering lock.

So far I've heard this on every late model IS & GS with the tilt wheel option.
Old 12-30-08, 03:48 PM
AUbeast86
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Try this - park the car in a quiet place, shut the engine off, remove your seat belt, wait until it's quiet, then open the driver's door. When you open the door, the steering lock will engage. It will make a noise of some intensity (mine got louder over time). See if this is the noise you are hearing on start up. If it is not the noise, then it's not the steering lock.

So far I've heard this on every late model IS & GS with the tilt wheel option.
Bingo. thats the noise. Will they do anything about it? I missed my appointment today and had to reschedule for tomorrow. I would rather not take it to them since they will probably want to keep it for a day to diagnose it anyway. thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-08, 03:56 PM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

i took mine in and it came back the same.. i did not even bother going back. i fixed it my self. it got very annoying so after it wouldnt go away i hit the dash a couple of time. and since its been good. its been about 3months now and car makes no noise just need some tough love..
Old 12-30-08, 05:24 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

electronic grinding" noise. Kinda like a rapidly winding clock winding. Any of you guys ever had that?
I have the same issue, it sounds as though i have a rattlesnake inside my dials. It is not normal.

My dealer is getting a new cluster put in for me.
Old 12-30-08, 05:56 PM
MiamiIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by LILDANTE79
i took mine in and it came back the same.. i did not even bother going back. i fixed it my self. it got very annoying so after it wouldnt go away i hit the dash a couple of time. and since its been good. its been about 3months now and car makes no noise just need some tough love..
lol..please tell me your kidding. If not thats a good way to fix it.
Old 12-30-08, 09:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by AUbeast86
Bingo. thats the noise. Will they do anything about it? I missed my appointment today and had to reschedule for tomorrow. I would rather not take it to them since they will probably want to keep it for a day to diagnose it anyway. thanks for the help.
They told me it is normal and they did nothing. Then I took the car, parked it, and it was dead silent. Stayed that way for 3 days, then it came back. They might have tried something, but it didn't last. I would get it noted in your service record in case something happens later on. At least that way they know you've already complained about it and if it fails after warranty expires you'll have a leg to stand on for a warranty fix.

Quick Reply: My Push Button Start is making a noise...