IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Warning message on Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 04:36 PM
Angela
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning message on Oil Filter

I just got my first oil change from Crown Lexus in Ontario, CA. A couple of days later, I see a warning message saying that I need to replace my oil filter? Is there a possibility that they didn't even change it, or do you think they just forgot to update the car on the maintenance that was done?

Also... my car has trouble locking (from using the button on the handle) and unlocking (from sensor) on the driver side but not from the passenger.... Anyone have this issue? Maybe it's just the battery?

-Angela
Old 12-15-08, 04:57 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

There isnt a message for the oil filter. They might have reset the oil maintenance light though. The owners manual shows you how to reset that. You should take in your car and have the handle looked at. It should work on one side and not the other side.
Old 12-15-08, 06:11 PM
Angela
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slee18
There isnt a message for the oil filter. They might have reset the oil maintenance light though. The owners manual shows you how to reset that. You should take in your car and have the handle looked at. It should work on one side and not the other side.
huh? what do you mean there isn't a message for the oil filter? it says to call lexus and it has a picture and says 'oil filter' on it..
Old 12-15-08, 06:22 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

The built-in maintenance reminder is based on miles travelled. 5,000 miles after it was last reset, a bright orange exclamation point lights up and the words "OIL MAINT REQUIRED" appear on the small display between the tach and speedo.

Was the message you saw on that display, or on the nav screen? I seem to remember the option to set maintenance reminders on the navigation system calendar, perhaps that is what you are seeing?
Old 12-15-08, 06:29 PM
ISooNice
Pole Position

maybe on her navi screen because i had no clue (if there was) a oil filter light. lol i think shes talking about her navi screen. just go to info, maintenance, and touch the reset button and voila

as for your door maybe it is your battery. sometimes mine doesnt open or lock either. but it works like a charm when i use my spare key sometimes
Old 12-15-08, 06:33 PM
Angela
Driver School Candidate

haha sorry, I meant my navi screen.. I should have been more specific.

I know that I can reset it myself, but I'm wondering if the dealer just didn't change it..... this happened to me when I had my rx8.. they would give it back to me saying that they did an oil change when they really didn't.. I'm wondering if maybe lexus didn't change my filter?!
Old 12-15-08, 06:34 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I seem to remember the option to set maintenance reminders on the navigation system calendar, perhaps that is what you are seeing?
There are about a dozen items you can be reminded about on the Nav screen; including oil and filter. Some are worthless, like rotation of tires on a RWD IS. You can block any and all of these on the Nav screen. This is probably what Angela is seeing.
Old 12-15-08, 11:24 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

take it back to the dealer, and ask them why did appear? ask them if they did really do a service... GD LCK
Old 12-16-08, 06:30 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

^ agreed. theres no way of telling unless you take out the filter and see how dirty it is... i use to work at lexus and i tell you theres one guy who burns this stuff.. only drains the oil and not the filter. so be careful. just one question. when i do an oil change. usually we leave the oil filter reminder alone.. so maybe thats what the tech did. was your oil maint reset though? that could be possible as well. you should get it checked to make sure.
Old 12-16-08, 08:45 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Angela
haha sorry, I meant my navi screen.. I should have been more specific.

I know that I can reset it myself, but I'm wondering if the dealer just didn't change it..... this happened to me when I had my rx8.. they would give it back to me saying that they did an oil change when they really didn't.. I'm wondering if maybe lexus didn't change my filter?!
I see the blind man said. I dont have NAV so i didnt know that!
Old 12-16-08, 09:05 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
^ when i do an oil change. usually we leave the oil filter reminder alone.. so maybe thats what the tech did.
the techs at hendrick lexus never set the reminder in the navi...i always do it my self before leaving the dealership...
Old 12-16-08, 11:17 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the door handle, you have to have the key in your pocket obviously, but I have found you must grip the door handle with all fingers especially in the winter. I assume the proximity detector detects the body mass/heat of your hand and it is harder to do when cold. I know in the summer I just have to put a couple of fingers behind the handle and it quickly opens. In the winter I need to wrap all four fingers around the handle. Never tried it with gloves, so not sure if they make a difference also.
Old 12-16-08, 12:49 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

just reset the reminder and call it a day.....?
Old 12-17-08, 06:11 AM
Angela
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
^ agreed. theres no way of telling unless you take out the filter and see how dirty it is... i use to work at lexus and i tell you theres one guy who burns this stuff.. only drains the oil and not the filter. so be careful. just one question. when i do an oil change. usually we leave the oil filter reminder alone.. so maybe thats what the tech did. was your oil maint reset though? that could be possible as well. you should get it checked to make sure.
Yes, the oil maintenance was reset, but not the oil filter. I guess I should ask them.. but even if they didn't change it, they wouldn't admit to it. Oh well.. I guess I should start doing my own oil changes from now on.
Old 12-17-08, 06:17 AM
Angela
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oseidler
As far as the door handle, you have to have the key in your pocket obviously, but I have found you must grip the door handle with all fingers especially in the winter. I assume the proximity detector detects the body mass/heat of your hand and it is harder to do when cold. I know in the summer I just have to put a couple of fingers behind the handle and it quickly opens. In the winter I need to wrap all four fingers around the handle. Never tried it with gloves, so not sure if they make a difference also.
That's good info.. Thanks. I just realized the times it didn't work, it was pretty cold outside.

Quick Reply: Warning message on Oil Filter