IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

center console rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 08:25 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center console rattle

a rattle from tge navigation screen area has suddenly developed. i had all the interior noise TSB's done, this just popped up a couple of weeks ago. anyone had similar experience?
Old 07-04-08, 08:29 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

It is probably the silver trim around the nav screen. It is extremely cheap plastic that isn't very well attached. A bad bad combo.
Old 07-04-08, 10:50 AM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
a rattle from tge navigation screen area has suddenly developed. i had all the interior noise TSB's done, this just popped up a couple of weeks ago. anyone had similar experience?
Take it in, most Lexus dealers will go out of their way to track down and fix rattles.
Old 07-05-08, 04:07 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

definitely sound slike the outer trim.

i was planning on bringing it in, just wanted to be able to poiint them in a direction before they just haphazardly try to find it.

thanks fot the help... hopefully they can get tehse and all the rest of the rattles fixed before the warranty runs out.
Old 07-05-08, 09:23 AM
Scottward
Driver

You should have heard all the rattles I had in my '07 BMW 335i which I dumped due to fuel pump problems.

Took it to the BMW dealer and they told me the warranty did not cover rattles. I was going to fight it through BMW, but with the car stranding me on the highway because of a failed fuel pump, I quickly cared less about the rattles and just wanted the damned thing to run properly.
Old 07-05-08, 05:09 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scottward
You should have heard all the rattles I had in my '07 BMW 335i which I dumped due to fuel pump problems.

Took it to the BMW dealer and they told me the warranty did not cover rattles. I was going to fight it through BMW, but with the car stranding me on the highway because of a failed fuel pump, I quickly cared less about the rattles and just wanted the damned thing to run properly.
didnt cover rattles? that is unbeliveable. i find it hard to believe it had more than the IS; this being my first lexus the furthest thing from my mind was rattles; after all, lexus is the pinnacle of automobiles. boy, was i wrong!
Old 07-05-08, 09:00 PM
Scottward
Driver

didnt cover rattles? that is unbeliveable. i find it hard to believe it had more than the IS; this being my first lexus the furthest thing from my mind was rattles; after all, lexus is the pinnacle of automobiles. boy, was i wrong!
Yes my former 335i was that bad. What factory was your IS built in and what year is it? Also the crappy potmarked roads in CT are enough to tear apart any car no matter how well it is built.
Old 07-05-08, 10:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine did this today also...i tell you the more miles i get on the car its seems more of these rattles are happening? I am surprised that I am having these little issues in my Lexus/Toyota?

If I applied pressure below the vent and just above the navi screen it did go away so that must be the issue.

I think I am taking my car in finally for the many TSIB issues it has and get a loaner for a week probably. I needed to get them done before but was just too lazy to take it in and many times in the past with one car I had these issues I got it back and it was always worse then when I dropped it off? so I must say I am hesitant to take it in. The most annoying one is the TSIB for engine rattle at start up! Yup I got it....thanks to VIK for pointing out that there was a TSIB for it.
Old 07-06-08, 06:09 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scottward
Yes my former 335i was that bad. What factory was your IS built in and what year is it? Also the crappy potmarked roads in CT are enough to tear apart any car no matter how well it is built.
tahara, model year 2006, got it in augustm was the last boat over from japan to this area i was told (got it last week of august so that is probably true).

hard roads in CT or not, i had a maxima for 12 years that rattled less. i am disappointed beyond beliefe. angry is probably a better word for it.
Old 07-06-08, 11:25 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have the weird scraping squeeking noise on top of the ODO Console? It almost sounds like wire brush rubbing on plastic or dry leaves just scraping around. When I push on that part of the dash board it sounds like stiff wire rubbing on the plastic almost like a sponge. It's so annoying cause it will just come out of no where when going on bumps and it's frustrating as hell, I push it in and it goes away, I let go and it comes back, then I smack it and it goes away. I need to take it in! if they take apart your dashboard top it doesn't mess with say air bags does it? Just a concern

Damn rattles!
Old 07-07-08, 11:23 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally!

I got my dashboard fixed, the squeaking noise I was hearing on top of my ODO is now gone! I took it to my local dealership (Keyes Lexus) and Ronnie made getting my rattling eliminated pleasant. He also told me to make a list of all the TSIB's that I wanted to get done on the car, bring it in and they'll give me a loner while I get them fixed, awesome! No more squeak on top.

Lexus warranty \ TSIB make life simpler
Old 07-08-08, 09:26 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Wink **Reduce the squeaks from the HVAC trim below the center vents

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
It is probably the silver trim around the nav screen. It is extremely cheap plastic that isn't very well attached. A bad bad combo.
Well, I experienced the same squeaking and crackling sounds in my brand new Matador Red Mica 08 IS250 AWD I just got in June. I too was disappointed considering it's a Lexus, especially embarrassed when passengers were on-board. From other threads and my own experience, the sound is directly related to the expansion of the plastic material due to heat. It's with the upper lip just above the HVAC display, below the center vents (don't have the Navi but trim looks the same). Seeing this is a design/material flaw I highly doubt would be resolvable at the dealer, I've created my own partial "fix" on dealing with it.

1. Installed foam underneath the trim. I used the thin white foam from a boxed mirror I bought for my house. The foam packaging is quite common in many household items you buy, or you can get it at your local hardware store... The material is less than 1mm thick and I cut a strip the length and width of the plastic, about 6.5" x 3/8". The strip was "crammed" (from the bottom) underneath the trim by pulling away at the trim with one hand (trim "stretched" to create a +-1mm thin space) while sliding the foam underneath with the other hand/fingers. Having slightly long fingernails will help in the process. Be careful the HVAC face is delicate and prone to scratching.

2. Keep the cabin temperature as cool as possible. Park the car in a garage, away from sun, or consider a sun windshield reflector and keeping windows slightly open to minimize heat generation. I have an indoor garage so that helps.

The squeak/popping noise is not 100% eliminated, but probably by about 25% with the foam insert. The other 75% I can mostly avoid by doing "2" above so I can live with the occasional crackling, until I find a more "permanent" solution. I will experiment with different foams, possibly a thicker one so the trim sits even more firmly cushioned against the HVAC face which would in theory minimize the expansion of the material due to less space (and hence the squeaky noise).
Old 07-08-08, 07:05 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Well, I experienced the same squeaking and crackling sounds in my brand new Matador Red Mica 08 IS250 AWD I just got in June. I too was disappointed considering it's a Lexus, especially embarrassed when passengers were on-board. From other threads and my own experience, the sound is directly related to the expansion of the plastic material due to heat. It's with the upper lip just above the HVAC display, below the center vents (don't have the Navi but trim looks the same). Seeing this is a design/material flaw I highly doubt would be resolvable at the dealer, I've created my own partial "fix" on dealing with it.

The squeak/popping noise is not 100% eliminated, but probably by about 25% with the foam insert. The other 75% I can mostly avoid by doing "2" above so I can live with the occasional crackling, until I find a more "permanent" solution. I will experiment with different foams, possibly a thicker one so the trim sits even more firmly cushioned against the HVAC face which would in theory minimize the expansion of the material due to less space (and hence the squeaky noise).
i think that must be it... i noticed it is worse when the car is hot, especially when first driving. when i leave for work in the am (car in garge), not bad. when i leave work (car in sun all day), ohh boy it rattles! thanks for the info.

i seem to have a rattle on the drivers side b pillar (right by ear). and there is a BIG rattle on the passenger side, cant really tell where its coming from, b pillar maybe.. any ideas?

i agree its embarrasing to be in a lexus and hear the rattles. so much for the pursuit of perfection...
Old 07-08-08, 08:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Smile

i think that must be it... i noticed it is worse when the car is hot, especially when first driving. when i leave for work in the am (car in garge), not bad. when i leave work (car in sun all day), ohh boy it rattles! thanks for the info.

i seem to have a rattle on the drivers side b pillar (right by ear). and there is a BIG rattle on the passenger side, cant really tell where its coming from, b pillar maybe.. any ideas?

i agree its embarrasing to be in a lexus and hear the rattles. so much for the pursuit of perfection...
I know... My brother is coming down to see my new car this weekend and I pray it's not a scorching hot day. The car will be in the garage till he comes, then go for a test drive. But I have to say, the foam insert has probably reduced the squeak/popping sounds even more than 50%. Today was a really hot and sunny day (33C/91F) where the car was out all day. Drove off and the popping was only a little noticeable at the beginning. In fact, 10 minutes into my commute with the A/C on, the noise was practically gone (foam filling the space and trim cooled down/contracted back). As for other rattles, I had the common small rattle coming from the glove box area but after reading some other threads, I removed the owner's manual (which was tightly fitted on the shelf) and the rattling stopped. Don't have the B-pillar rattles (yet) (car has just 1000 km!), but from what I've read, it may have to do with the seat belt buckle, and with one guy, he had to clip the belt in the lock even though no passenger was there.

I've had an RX330 (loved it) with some minor rattles as well, but the MDX I traded it for (needed more room+7 pass) is worse. It seems tight interior construction is slipping even for the best manufacturers (Honda/Toyota) as they're getting more complex in their designs, materials, features, and electronics, all crammed into a larger, deeper dash. Although my expectations were high with the IS and I was a little disappointed with the squeaks, let's face it, this is a quiet car so one tends to hear everything. I understand its source and how I can control it so I'm OK with the squeak. The smoothness of the car/engine, overall quietness and refinement, and sporty design and a panache (without the presumptuousness of a Mercedes or Bimmer) definitely overshadow the minor squeak issue.
Old 07-17-08, 06:10 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep same rattle noise for me...right by my ear...in the area right above the seat-belt clamp...

it appears to be rattling on the passenger side in about the same area too....

debating if i should take it in... anybody else have this?

{edit .. found this thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=rattle**