IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Melted B-Pillars Moulding

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 11:34 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Melted B-Pillars Moulding

I know that there is a section on this under the FAQ. I just wanted to vent my frustration and possible help others avoid a couple of headaches.

I will not disclose the name of the tint shop.

A couple of weeks ago I took my car to the shop. I talked to the manager about the tint. They told me they could go as low as 30% on the tint. Which is exactly what I wanted. It was about 430pm and the shop closed at 7pm. But the manager assured me that they would have the adequate time to finish it. At the time I thought that the problem came from the weathering stripping melting. So I warned the manager about it. But he told me from time to time the do tint work for Lexus. Which made sense to me because the Lexus dealership is just up the street. They finally finished the car around 730. The stayed extra to finish the job. At the time it was hard for me to inspect the tint because it was already dark outside.

The problem came when I took my car back because some of the bubbles did not go away. The tint is actually subpar in my book. I've had excellent tint jobs in the past, but in different areas. They didn't have a problem redoing the tint. But when I got my car back there were melt marks on the b-pillar molding as seen here.

I didn't notice until I was at best buy and inspecting the tint. I quickly took it back and showed them. The manager had already left for the day. So they referred me to the install manager. I told him it could be from the use of the heat gun. He said, "there is no way this could happen. The heat gun isn't applied to this section of the window. Also the weather stripping would melt before this would." I replied "well this doe not happen from parking the car in the sun." He told me to come back on Tuesday because the manager is the only one that can do anything about it.

I bring back on Tuesday. The manager tells me that, "i've been tinting for 20 years and this doens't not happen from heat guns. Why don't you take it back to Lexus. It should be under warranty." I replied, "because they did not cause the damage." I dropped the fight there. I had them once again redo the tint because they did an even crappier job. I told the manager that if there is more melt marks then we are going to have a problem.

Car comes back with melt marks. He denies it. saying, "it looks the same to me." I told him this is a load of BS. he knows and I know it. He then talks to the tint installer. he denies it too. So they pull the car around the back again. He tells me that if he applies the heat to the molding and if it melts that they will take responsibility. He warns me though that if the weathering stripping melts. I told him okay. But it melts and they are agreeing to pay for the damage. I took my car into the Lexus body shop yesterday for an estimate and its something like $200.

Im still not pleased with the tint. Im just glad it has a manufacturers lifetime warranty. I will not take my car back there. My tint still has bubbles.
Old 10-05-07, 11:48 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tint guy did the same to my car. dealer replaced the pillars under warranty crazy enough even though they had nothing to do with it.
Old 10-05-07, 12:04 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

well i just hope that my dealer will replace my pillars or im making my tinter pay for it :S
Old 10-05-07, 12:57 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

i even called the lexus dealership to see if it was defective, but they didn't hear anything about it. I could have brought it in. but i thought it was only right for the tinter to pay for it. i wasn't gonna have the tinters push me around anyways.
Old 10-05-07, 04:50 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Its def from the heat gun that the tint guys use, we've had a thread on this I believe. I personally had this happen to me as well. But its not too bad, and I just let is slide. I dont even see it anymore.

As far as the bubbles, if they dont got away in a few days, then I would have the tint shop redo the tint or get your money back.
Old 10-05-07, 06:33 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Man what is up with some of these tinters holding the heat gun so close for or just letting it sit there for so long? Glad to hear that they're going to pay for the damage though.
Old 10-05-07, 06:39 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

actually it wasn't even a long time before damage starts to appear. when the manager, who claims he has 15 years of experience under his belt, did it. It took less than like 15 seconds for damage to appear. they manager said they people are going to have to start signing waivers to get the cars tinted there.
Old 10-05-07, 07:02 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why ive said in every tint thread, do not look for type of tint, look for quality of work and just use the best the tint the shop has. If your a tint noob ask friends where they go, sometimes the guy that works out of the house does better work than the monkeys in an established shop.