IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NO CD Audio or Volume

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 04:50 PM
taze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO CD Audio or Volume

I have the strangest issue that’s been going on for who knows how long.

My problem is, when I go to play any compact disc, either Audio CD or Video DVD, I get no audio. I cannot even adjust the volume, nothing happens, not even the volume level appears when I move the dial.
Everything else audio works without any issues, AUX, FM/AM, Nav, Bluetooth.

I want to take it in for service but I’m scared. I’m scared of rejection. See I, like many of you, did the navigation “hack”. I did it long before this problem arose. I don’t want them to see my simple mod of the J1 and J50 and look at me and say, “Son, that’ll be $3000 please.”

Anyone care to share some light, recommend a dealer for service, or know a solution?
Old 08-14-07, 06:43 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh... wow, well the first thing I would have said was take it to the dealer, but under the circumstances I see why you havent. I assume you have tried all the obvious, like multiple disks, taken out all the discs to make sure there are none in there and the such right? How about pulling the fuse for the nav/stereo unit and trying to reset it? The fuse is labeled TV-1 and its above your left foot when your driving.
Old 08-14-07, 06:49 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the CD actually playing, i.e. is the time counter working? Or is it just stuck and won't engage the play feature? That is two separate problems.
Old 08-14-07, 07:27 PM
TProw
Driver School Candidate

I've had the same thing happen to me, and my volume would just out suddenly I could change the mode from CD, and the time counter would still be running on the CD, but no sound except I fianally figured out that it was only during certain songs on burned CDs that this would happen so maybe try and see if it does it only during certain songs.
Old 08-15-07, 05:23 AM
taze
Driver School Candidate

@ALL – thank you for the replies

@ben_r_
yes i have tried all the obvious. no disk, audio or video will play with sound.

@Evitzee
yes, all disk actually play. the counter moves, you can switch tracks or see video, you just cant adjust the volume or hear any volume.

@TProw
The volume control stops, in disk mode, the monument any disk starts playing. I can adjust modes in and out of disk mode, dsp, sound options, everything works except volume. It is all songs on all disks and DVD’s

its a very strange issue that seems to be internal of the nav unit. i think its because i haven't played a cd probably this whole year
which is also why im contemplating even taking it to get fixed. im curious if anyone has had service on their nav unit after performing the 'hack'.
Old 08-15-07, 08:08 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Try resetting it by pulling the fuse I mentioned first before you take it to the dealer. Dont worry you wont loose any settings or a saved points.
Old 08-15-07, 08:11 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Im sorry but this is the main reason why I dont want to hack anything, $5000 for just to watch a DVD 24/7?!!? Not worth it IMO, but GL.
Old 08-15-07, 09:10 AM
taze
Driver School Candidate

i disconnected the battery which seemed to reset the system and should have the same effect as removing the fuse. anyone know a hard-reset method, one that remove all settings and saves?
Old 08-15-07, 01:56 PM
TProw
Driver School Candidate

Yea your issue sounds about the same as mine, just my only does it during certain songs. So I dont play those songs anymore. I guess you might just have to the dealer, I mean the worst that could happen is you have to pay to get it fixed.
Old 08-15-07, 06:08 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I've been having this exact problem for over a year now... everything works fine except no sound comes out when I play regular cd's or DVD's... I took it to the dealer when this first started happening and they thought it was a bad DVD changer. So they put in a brand new DVD changer and it still didn't work... I went back and they put in another new DVD changer. Still nothing... When I talked to my service manager, he said that he noticed the "nav hack" done back there. I don't know if this was a bunch of BS but he said that the nav hack was shorting out something in some of the ML systems and if I put it back to the way it was supposed to be, he would change out the whole system for me. I like all the features the nav hack gives you so I've just been making MP3 CD's and using my IPOD...
Old 08-15-07, 07:04 PM
taze
Driver School Candidate

@Payam
I cant thank you enough for sharing! Nice to know im not the only one with horrible luck! So did you ever propose them switching out the ML Amp/Processor unit?
I would change it back to factory, get the whole new system, then change it back again. The only reason i did the hack was so that my lady could watch dvd's on those long trips to vegas and what not...
If the hack is what causes a 'short' why would it take so long to happen? You say MP3 cd's work huh? Haven't tried that although dont see the point because i use my ipod for mp3's.

Has anyone else had/have this issue, please come fourth! Especially if it happened to you and you have NOT done the hack.

Last edited by taze; 08-15-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 11:23 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I am havin the same issues on my 06 IS350. They thought that at first it was the amp, and changed it and the same thing happen again which is no sound but everything works. Then they try to change the DVD changer and the same thing happens again. So my conclusion is that everytime it does happen it always does it when i am playin burn cd and at certain speeds when ASL kicks in. So there you go. Yes it's annoyin but stop and restart the car and everything is normal.
Old 08-16-07, 03:38 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

At first it was sporadic like that. But after a couple months of it going off and on, one day it just quit all together and hasn't been back on since...
Old 08-16-07, 05:07 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
At first it was sporadic like that. But after a couple months of it going off and on, one day it just quit all together and hasn't been back on since...
Did you try undoing the hack?
Old 08-16-07, 09:10 AM
taze
Driver School Candidate

@Lexy GS430 - did you do the hack?

at first, many months ago, mine would go away with a car restart but now it is permanent no matter what I do. I have not tried undoing the hack although im willing to for test purposes for everyone. I mean what good is a hack to watch dvd’s if you get no sound

Quick Reply: NO CD Audio or Volume