IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

It hurts...help! (Rubbing issue w/ pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 12:34 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy It hurts...help! (Rubbing issue w/ pictures)

Okay so on my way back from San Diego Wild Animal Park on Sunday, traveling up highway 5 North, also giving only 60% of my attention because I was so tired from the heat and walking, I ran up 2 big dips @ about 80-85mph. By dips I mean those small section of bridge because they built road under the highway, and that small section of bridge was elevated (I hope you know what I'm talking about). I rubbed so hard it hurt my heart. Not only did it happen once, but twice!
I did not stop until I was home and when I stepped out to see what had happened, this is the first thing I saw...

OUCH!

So I look under to see what caused it...

The plastic cut it? No way!

I looked under...

Ohhh.... the metal piece that holds the screw for the bumper is cutting the tires. I just came back from driving around Pasadena on Sierra Madre and I rubbed twice, though not as hard, im pretty sure it cut the tires again.

Heres where I need your help... what can I do?

If I cut off that metal piece, will the bumper still stay up? When I was changing my oil at a body shop, the guy told me I should shave my rims cause the offsets are too aggressive. Any other solutions?

Thank you so much in advance!
Old 07-19-07, 12:47 AM
Juangado
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problems with my wheels when i went with a staggered fit rim and cut as much of the lip off as i could and only found that my only option was to get new wheels. Shaving the back of the rim is and option, but you have to make sure you dont shave to much as you will make the wheel weak at the contact points. you also face the poissiblity that the machine shop damages the wheels, and forcing you to buy a new wheel or possibly as whole new set.

your other option if its the front wheel, you take it to an alignment shop and have them ajust the caster. caster move the tire from front to back. if the adjust the caster they can bring your wheel back(negative caster) and possibly fix the issue with tire rub and it wont affect tire wear.

My suggestion is get a new set with a less aggresive offset. The last thing you want is to blow that tire and possible get hurt.
good luck
Old 07-19-07, 01:38 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Juangado
i had the same problems with my wheels when i went with a staggered fit rim and cut as much of the lip off as i could and only found that my only option was to get new wheels. Shaving the back of the rim is and option, but you have to make sure you dont shave to much as you will make the wheel weak at the contact points. you also face the poissiblity that the machine shop damages the wheels, and forcing you to buy a new wheel or possibly as whole new set.

your other option if its the front wheel, you take it to an alignment shop and have them ajust the caster. caster move the tire from front to back. if the adjust the caster they can bring your wheel back(negative caster) and possibly fix the issue with tire rub and it wont affect tire wear.

My suggestion is get a new set with a less aggresive offset. The last thing you want is to blow that tire and possible get hurt.
good luck
I will keep in mind of adjusting the caster. The rubbing is from the front. The rear rubs too but not as hard. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-19-07, 02:00 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks because your car looks sick as hell.
Old 07-19-07, 04:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
I will keep in mind of adjusting the caster. The rubbing is from the front. The rear rubs too but not as hard. Thanks for the advice.
There is no caster adjustment, and this would be the worst way to fix this problem. Fix the offset, that is your real problem.
Old 07-19-07, 06:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what is the offset on the front wheels, ideal from what Ive seen is something in the mid-high 30s. Im guessing youre probably low 30s
Old 07-19-07, 06:45 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is no caster adjustment, and this would be the worst way to fix this problem. Fix the offset, that is your real problem.
Exactly what i thought also.There r no caster adjustments on our cars
Old 07-19-07, 07:00 AM
Rickster31
Pole Position

I say bite the bullet, order 2 new front rims in the proper offset, because even if you fix the problem now, eventually it could come back and cause more issues.

Do it once, do it right, thats my motto.

But the rims are absoultely beautiful!
Old 07-19-07, 07:01 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ouch, sorry to hear that man. I think the best thing to do is get new wheels with better offset. How low did you drop your car?
Old 07-19-07, 08:52 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I say roll your fenders. I am
Old 07-19-07, 10:19 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Aww man replacing is the last thing I wanted to do, I love how my car is right now . The car is only dropped 1.6" in the front according to Tein. Then again I should change it because I DO want to go lower.

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I say roll your fenders. I am
It is not the fender, its that stupid metal piece that holds the screw for the bumper.

Any other ideas?
Old 07-19-07, 10:20 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I rubbed too when I was slammed... I just chose to buy new wheels...
Old 07-19-07, 10:28 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
+1
we all agree a aggressive offset looks sexy as hell, but this is the result of the offset being too agressive, i agree it looks bad *** but is function worth sacrificing form?

I have heard of having rims "decked" by a professional wheel repair shop. Basically the place it on a lathe and shave off a mm or so......
I dont know much about the process and i have only heard of it being done.
Old 07-19-07, 10:41 AM
suka4thong
Advanced

yo tommy!! i know how that feels. i cry everytime (u seen my car ) just get thinner tires and get mild stretch like how i did and no rub!!
i think shaving ur wheel is not an option cos of your break caliper clearens.
Old 07-19-07, 07:09 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Yeah my calipers and wheels are so close together, I am afraid it might not clear.

Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: It hurts...help! (Rubbing issue w/ pictures)