IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Ever use the AUX/MP3 input jack?
Yes!
75.00%
No!
8.89%
Why bother ? 6 disc changer that plays mp3 is good enough !
15.38%
MP3? WTH is that?
0.72%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

AUX/MP3 input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 03:03 PM
Toptier
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to use the AUX for my ipod, then I got VAIS.
Old 07-19-07, 03:29 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

[QUOTE=tascma;2779500]Bluetooth, huh? Whats the deal with that? do you us it normally and the bluetooth has another connection at the mini (where you would normally plug in the ipod)

Check this out.

http://www.iskin.com/ceruleantx/inde...88398114878660

The transmitter simply plugs into the dock port on the iPod and receives its power from the iPod. The receiver plugs into the AUX input. It however in this case needs a power supply. To eliminate a ground loop by using a plug in the spare, Wal-Mart (many places sell these) sells a $7.00 battery powered USB charger. All you need is this, a USB A to mini USB 4pin cord and of course the mini jack and you're set.

Don't worry about the batteries going dead, these things draw so little power.

It works fantastic, that is if you can deal with the iPod acting as a remote and no screen info.

I'm fine with it.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-19-07, 03:40 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Old Oiler;2780652]
Originally Posted by tascma
The transmitter simply plugs into the dock port on the iPod and receives its power from the iPod. The receiver plugs into the AUX input. It however in this case needs a power supply. To eliminate a ground loop by using a plug in the spare, Wal-Mart (many places sell these) sells a $7.00 battery powered USB charger. All you need is this, a USB A to mini USB 4pin cord and of course the mini jack and you're set.

It works fantastic, that is if you can deal with the iPod acting as a remote and no screen info.
Interesting product. But I just use one of these: http://www.sik.com/ram_din.php I put a 3 ft extension on it and it makes the iPod very easy to use by driver or passenger.
Old 07-19-07, 07:55 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Evitzee;2780677]
Originally Posted by Old Oiler

Interesting product. But I just use one of these: http://www.sik.com/ram_din.php I put a 3 ft extension on it and it makes the iPod very easy to use by driver or passenger.
I had a setup similar to that also prior to this. The only thing that I did not care for was that the arm rest had to be open a tad in order for the wires to come out but, that is another "sure fire" way of doing it.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-19-07, 09:12 PM
boneStock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I actually like the location of the AUX jack. I can control and hide my iPod at ease. The volume on steering works as well. For a $20.00 cable, it sounds GREAT. Why spend $200+ to control your iPod on the radio.

which cord is that? also does it charge the ipod?
Old 07-20-07, 06:22 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Dj_AmtraX;2440854]I actually like the location of the AUX jack. I can control and hide my iPod at ease. The volume on steering works as well. For a $20.00 cable, it sounds GREAT. Why spend $200+ to control your iPod on the radio.

I guess $200.00 is relative. My Bluetooth cost $150.00, but the beauty of the iSkin Bluetooth setup is that I'm not limited to the car with wires.

I use it more with my home stereo and my stereo in the garage than in my car. This is where cordless makes all of the difference.

To each his own though, you have an excellent setup for your purpose.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-31-07, 01:19 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Quick question to those who have the sik ram din, anyone tried using the cig. adaptor for power, does it work and does one need a ground loop for noise? Using a standard monster cable via headphones right now and just want a better system also would be nice to charge and more importantly turn off my i-pod by the pause trick. Thanks
Old 08-03-07, 10:45 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Well I went ahead and ordered the sik adaptor (imp with the charger, foxwire) and yes there is feed back so gotta get a ground loop now. To me the sound quality is a little better than via headphone jack. Maybe it's the way I downloaded the music to itune/ipod. But I was disappointed that the power/pause trick does not work. Eventhough it's connected to acc power, the ipod does not pause once the car/power is cut.
Old 08-03-07, 11:37 AM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

One thing with the Sik, make sure you have your Ipod volume turned down all the way.
Old 08-04-07, 07:01 AM
heasyrider
Rookie

Hello, I am looking at an 08 IS350 to buy in a couple on months. I have a fairly advanced Samsung phone on the Sprint network, that gives me the option for media such as TV and Sat radio. Question: Can you hook up a cell phone to the AUX port and listen to the music and/or TV sound coming from a cell phone? I will probably not get navigation, so I am also wondering if you can use this feature to hear people over the car's speakers when they are talking to you on the phone?
Old 08-04-07, 09:35 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Here is my Sik ram din cable in black. I really like the sound quality with this cable.

now playing, Olivia Newton-John-Gold

Old 08-11-07, 09:27 PM
ub2slow
Rookie

That's all I listen to is my ipod. In fact, when I ordered my car I went out and bought the ipod just for that. I realized there is nowhere to put an XM radio so I figured I would go the ipod route. I put around 800 songs on there and just put it on shuffle. Haven't listened to the radio once yet. I love the ipod/mp3 jack.
Old 08-11-07, 09:33 PM
SILVER IS
Rookie

[QUOTE=Old Oiler;2780652]
Originally Posted by tascma
Bluetooth, huh? Whats the deal with that? do you us it normally and the bluetooth has another connection at the mini (where you would normally plug in the ipod)

Check this out.

http://www.iskin.com/ceruleantx/inde...88398114878660

I'm fine with it.

Cheers,

Old Oiler

Would the song title show up on the DVD Nav Screen??
Old 08-12-07, 09:07 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

[QUOTE=SILVER IS;2835132]

Would the song title show up on the DVD Nav Screen??
No, you will not get any information on your screen.

It's sort of a two edged sword here. Your iPod becomes wireless which is the benefit of it. It essentially makes your iPod a complete remote control. The downside if you call it that, is that you have to look at your iPod screen to see the information.

There is a tradeoff, no doubt, but it's is an extremely fast way to hook an iPod up and have it wireless, that is, if you are interested in that.

I love it. I use one of those cheap Wal-Mart USB chargers to power the Bluetooth receiver under the armrest. This way I don't get a ground loop.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 09-30-07, 10:26 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Evitzee;2780677]

what's the benifit of this sik ram din cable? I was going to order a Monster mini stereo cable for about 10 bucks, and thought it would sound better than other cables. Does it sound better when it's plugged to the pin port or the headphone jack? If your plugged to the pin port, then you can charge and listen to the ipod at the same time can you? and what's the other cord with the square thing for? thanks for the clear up.

Quick Reply: AUX/MP3 input?