IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

stock sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 01:09 PM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default stock sub

Does the non-ML stock system have a sub? Where is the stock location for the sub?
Old 02-06-07, 02:05 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its kinda like a sub I'd say I've never looked but at times it hits like an 8!

Its the larger speaker in the back center of the rear windshield.
Old 02-06-07, 02:38 PM
murph550
Driver

The above post is wrong; yes there is a sub. It is an 8" and is located on the top of the trunk (in front of the trunk light).
Old 02-06-07, 03:56 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

any pics of the sub?
Old 02-07-07, 09:39 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to make sure I'm on the same page as you guys. There IS a sub in the NON ML system? If that is true, then the stock system/sub must really suck because it doesn't feel like a sub'd system.
Old 02-07-07, 09:46 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

can you replace it with a better one?

*speaking of non-ML system in my post*
Old 02-07-07, 09:58 AM
dkcivic82
Driver

I have the same question, can you replace it with another one.. Maybe Cmusic can help us.
Old 02-07-07, 10:02 AM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
can you replace it with a better one?

*speaking of non-ML system in my post*
You could replace it, but it wouldn't sound any better... in fact, it might sound worse. Reason why is the factory amp only pushes enough wattage to power the stock sub... an aftermarket sub will have a bigger magnet and require more juice. If you hooked up an aftermarket sub to the factory system, once you crank the volume, the sub would bottom out from being underpowered.

If you only wanted to replace the sub without changing the factory stereo/amp... you could add an aftermarket amplifier by connecting it to the existing sub wiring connecting into the "high-level" inputs on the amp. What this will do is take the already amplified signal from the factory system, drop the signal down, and re-amplify it before sending it to the new aftermarket sub. Some people don't like this method because they say it adds distortion to the music.

I had installed stereo systems for a number of years (I don't anymore), but in my opinion, we are talking about a subwoofer here that produces the lowest frequencies. You would never notice this minimal distortion. Even using the same application on a tweeter or midrange speaker, the THD (total harmonic distortion) would be so minimal, that it cannot be picked up by the normal human ear. Just my opinion. But this would be the cheapest and easiest way to get more bass... it will not however increase the volume of the rest of the speakers in the car.
Old 02-07-07, 10:06 AM
dkcivic82
Driver

I have the same question, can you replace it with another one.. Maybe Cmusic can help us.
Old 02-07-07, 10:30 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with CarDudeRI, removing the factory sub and installing an aftermarket amplifier and sub will make more of a difference than just replacing the factory sub. The factory amp only puts about 25 watts per channel to the sub and it would not be powerful enough for an aftermarket sub. And since the factory sub is about 2" thick and is specifically designed to be mounted in the rear deck, there is no aftermarket sub on the market that will simply bolt back in its place.
Old 02-07-07, 11:20 AM
lexem
Pole Position

I miss the days you could take a car radio and just have your own with amps and replace all the speakers. I guess you still can but it cost so much more due to OEM radio and nav.
Old 02-07-07, 01:46 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by cmusic
I agree with CarDudeRI, removing the factory sub and installing an aftermarket amplifier and sub will make more of a difference than just replacing the factory sub. The factory amp only puts about 25 watts per channel to the sub and it would not be powerful enough for an aftermarket sub. And since the factory sub is about 2" thick and is specifically designed to be mounted in the rear deck, there is no aftermarket sub on the market that will simply bolt back in its place.
I imagine the factory sub could handle more than 25 watts, maybe the simplest way would to be to add the smallest aftermarket amp to the factory sub, anyone know how many watts the factory sub can handle?
Old 02-07-07, 01:50 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Ok are the subs in these IS's free air subs? I have not actualy gone out and looked. Or are the sealed?
Old 02-07-07, 02:12 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Ok everyone wants pictures of the sub and I have these from when I first got my IS and was curious as to perhaps what it looked liked!

Old 02-07-07, 02:16 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

So its a free air sub. Theres not going to be alot of choice to replace it unless you seal it up...or use a box in the back of the trunk.

Quick Reply: stock sub