IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What was wrong with my car? Is it Vdim kicked in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 09:41 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the chime is kinda quiet, I don't think anyone would hear it if you're listening to music.
Old 12-13-06, 10:44 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

The "pedal dance," as it's commonly referred to, disables the VSC and TRAC systems. The IS350 has both VSC and TRAC, which are governed by VDIM. In addition to these two systems, VDIM also controls the ABS (Anti-lock Braking System), BA (Brake Assist), Hill-start assist control, and EPS (Electronic Power Steering) systems. The IS250 has VSC and TRAC only...no VDIM available. You can verify this in your owner's manual on page 140, as every reference to the VDIM system is followed by "(IS350)." If you're confused about VSC versus TRAC, an explanation is also in the owner's manual:
Originally Posted by IS Owner's Manual
  • TRAC (Traction Control) - TRAC senses the onset of wheelspin, then selectively applies the brakes and automatically transfers power to the driving wheel with better grip. TRAC works in conjunction with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [1]. VSC senses the onset of a loss of traction in a turn and orchestrates the brakes and throttle to help keep the driver on track.
  • VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) - Lexus Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control.
Javier
Old 12-13-06, 05:09 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All of the posts here seem to illustrate to me that VDIM only "intrudes" when the driver is truly acting like a jackass...I'm not sure why I'd ever turn it off, other than to kill my tires in an abandoned parking lot somewhere. Good thing I'm not 16 anymore.
Old 12-13-06, 05:18 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
All of the posts here seem to illustrate to me that VDIM only "intrudes" when the driver is truly acting like a jackass...I'm not sure why I'd ever turn it off, other than to kill my tires in an abandoned parking lot somewhere. Good thing I'm not 16 anymore.
These posts may come across that way, but it isn't the whole story. There are many great aspects of VDIM, but there are several aspects of TRAC that suck. It only allows about 4 MPH difference in speed between the front and rear wheels before it shuts the motor down. There have been a couple instances where TRAC almost got me killed because of it. Those instances were where I made left hand turns in heavy traffic with a few pebbles or bumps on the road. The rear tires would slip for just a split second as I hit the gas, then TRAC would shut the motor down while cars were about to hit me. I've never had problems like that in any other car.
Old 12-13-06, 05:56 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
These posts may come across that way, but it isn't the whole story. There are many great aspects of VDIM, but there are several aspects of TRAC that suck. It only allows about 4 MPH difference in speed between the front and rear wheels before it shuts the motor down. There have been a couple instances where TRAC almost got me killed because of it. Those instances were where I made left hand turns in heavy traffic with a few pebbles or bumps on the road. The rear tires would slip for just a split second as I hit the gas, then TRAC would shut the motor down while cars were about to hit me. I've never had problems like that in any other car.
Ditto that, Gernby. It's only happened twice that I recall, but it scared the c*ap out of me! I used to drive a FWD Solara, and a FWD 88 Legend before that, and never had that occur in those cars. So, now I'm almost accelerator-gunshy. I think it kicks in TOO quickly - or, maybe I drive too aggressively for a RWD?
Old 12-13-06, 07:37 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I see. I haven't had that happen (yet), so I didn't realize that it could. I would expect that wheel slippage would cause traction control to engage in any vehicle though.
Old 12-13-06, 08:39 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Do you have OEM 18's with OEM 255/40s on the rear? If so, they are pretty hard to break loose on a good / dry surface even with an IS350.
I would estimate that I disproved this statement approximately 10 minutes and maybe 2 miles from the dealer lot when I first took delivery of the car. VDIM/VSC/TCS off, sport mode, roll on some steering lock and slam on the gas. I was sideways before I was out of the intersection.

Speaking of which, anyone ever get an urge to just go out and roast some tire? I've been feeling the need for this recently. Don't worry, I'll bring witnesses and a camera if I do.
Old 12-13-06, 10:03 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Chime only comes on when you push your car hard..or when there is no grip and the car senses the possibility massive wheel spin.
Wrong, I've spun my tires massively trying to pull out of a parking space on glare ice with no chime.

As I said above, the chimes only come on when the stability control system intercedes.
Old 12-14-06, 12:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

...There have been a couple instances where TRAC almost got me killed because of it. Those instances were where I made left hand turns in heavy traffic with a few pebbles or bumps on the road. The rear tires would slip for just a split second as I hit the gas, then TRAC would shut the motor down while cars were about to hit me...
If you think that's fun, you should try braking on an asphalt road with a gravel shoulder and one wheel in the gravel with the other on the road. Talk about extending a stop like you never imagined.

I agree about TRAC. I've never been terrifically impressed with it since I first encountered it in my '94 TT Supra. Sometimes it's OK to spin a bit.
Old 12-14-06, 01:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06
I would estimate that I disproved this statement approximately 10 minutes and maybe 2 miles from the dealer lot when I first took delivery of the car. VDIM/VSC/TCS off, sport mode, roll on some steering lock and slam on the gas. I was sideways before I was out of the intersection.

Speaking of which, anyone ever get an urge to just go out and roast some tire? I've been feeling the need for this recently. Don't worry, I'll bring witnesses and a camera if I do.
hehe... there was someone on these forums who reported crashing their IS350 in the first curve once they disabled the VDIM :-).

RWD is an beatch if you dont care how you drive. Road might look OK, but you never know if there is some oil on it...
Old 12-14-06, 08:59 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
That wasn't quite the "roasting" I was expecting. I've gotten the butt of my 350 sliding right to left while slinging burnt rubber and shards of pavement for about 15-20 seconds.
Old 12-14-06, 09:04 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Wrong, I've spun my tires massively trying to pull out of a parking space on glare ice with no chime.

As I said above, the chimes only come on when the stability control system intercedes.

yeah but you werent wailing on your gas pedal like a beached seal on earth day.
Old 12-14-06, 09:31 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06

How does this disprove my statement? You had to intentionally "roll on some steering lock and slam on the gas". I didn't say it was impossible to break the tires loose on a good, dry surface. My point was (is) that it is hard to accidentally break them loose on a good, dry surface.