IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What was wrong with my car? Is it Vdim kicked in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 10:11 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What was wrong with my car? Is it Vdim kicked in?

What was wrong with my car? This afternoon after work, I tried to make a left turned from small street to a major street. I pressed on the gas pedal and my IS250 didn't move at all like it was stucked in a gear or something. The scary thing was that cars were coming at me. Good thing I quickly released the gas pedal and pressed on it again, and my car started to move.

I wonder if what happened was the VDim kicked in or something. Hopefully that explains it; otherwise I think something is wrong with my transmission.
Old 12-12-06, 10:14 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

a chime will sound while VDIM is engaged. Sounds like a door chime. Trust me, you will hear and feel it.
Old 12-12-06, 10:16 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think 250's even have VDIM, but I'm not really sure. Anyway, if it was wet and / or cold, and you hit the gas hard, it could have been the problem. Do you have a manual or auto? If manual, then I would guess a slipping clutch. If auto, then you would have to have REALLY crappy traction.
Old 12-12-06, 10:18 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Yeah, my car is auto and RWD, and the street wasn't wet at all. I guess my IS got a crappy traction!
Old 12-12-06, 10:18 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
a chime will sound while VDIM is engaged. Sounds like a door chime. Trust me, you will hear and feel it.
That's not true. I've had traction control shut the engine down due to wheel spin many, many times (flashing traction light), but have only gotten an audilble chime once when I was intentionally power sliding around a corner.
Old 12-12-06, 10:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by viettho
Yeah, my car is auto, and the street wasn't wet at all. I guess my IS got a crappy traction!
Just to clarify ... I meant that an automatic IS250 doesn't have much power, so you would have needed to be on a wet, gravelly, oily, dirty ... etc surface to cause much of a problem.

Do you have OEM 18's with OEM 255/40s on the rear? If so, they are pretty hard to break loose on a good / dry surface even with an IS350.
Old 12-12-06, 10:25 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
Just to clarify ... I meant that an automatic IS250 doesn't have much power, so you would have needed to be on a wet, gravelly, oily, dirty ... etc surface to cause much of a problem.

Do you have OEM 18's with OEM 255/40s on the rear? If so, they are pretty hard to break loose on a good / dry surface even with an IS350.
Everything on my car is OEM. yeah and also OEM 18's with OEM 255/40s on the rear. I guess I'll call my dealer tomorrow to find out what happened.
Old 12-12-06, 10:44 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to confirm what Gernby said, IS250's do not have VDIM.

Javier
Old 12-13-06, 07:08 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i tried to drift my car into a corner.. the chime didn't sound... instead..it stole all my power...it sucked... i haven't hear the chime yet.. anyone got clip.. hhaha
Old 12-13-06, 08:02 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Eschewing all the acronyms for a moment, the car chimes when the stability control kicks in, not when the traction control activates.
Old 12-13-06, 08:21 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Eschewing all the acronyms for a moment, the car chimes when the stability control kicks in, not when the traction control activates.
I have an 2007 IS350 with X, and haven't heard the chimes sound before when the trac went off. Actually it's pretty easy to get the tail loose, but trac seems to cut in pretty early. Haven't turned VDIM completely yet to try though.

Btw that's a cute dog.
Old 12-13-06, 08:25 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gyung
I have an 2007 IS350 with X, and haven't heard the chimes sound before when the trac went off. Actually it's pretty easy to get the tail loose, but trac seems to cut in pretty early. Haven't turned VDIM completely yet to try though.

Btw that's a cute dog.
I had the car chirp at me.

haha scared all my friends. Was like an L shaped curve, once I hit the curve.. stomped the gas the car chirped and straightened up. I thought it was more scary with the VDIM.. oh well, it was fun nonetheless!
Old 12-13-06, 08:28 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by gyung

Btw that's a cute dog.
You won't hear it when traction control cuts in - that just flashes the light.

You'll hear it when stability control kicks in. If you bring your car somewhere with snow and ice, take the car to a big empty parking lot and induce a slide; you'll hear plenty of chiming.
Old 12-13-06, 08:34 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Chime only comes on when you push your car hard..or when there is no grip and the car senses the possibility massive wheel spin.
Old 12-13-06, 09:25 AM
rroy
Pole Position

how many traction control systems does lexus have??? I have an is250 manual and I have the TRAC button to the lower right of the steering wheel... but then theres VDIM and the "brake, brake, buckle, unbuckle, brake..." manuver as if god mode is suppose to click in. Which is which?

Quick Reply: What was wrong with my car? Is it Vdim kicked in?