IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I always do this to my center console and it bugs me

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 05:08 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I always do this to my center console and it bugs me

I like to put my drink, usually a water bottle in the carpeted cup holder because it allows me to rest my right hand on the shift ****. In doing this the slider on the center armrest is all the way back and the slightest pressure on the back causes it to pop because I didn't lift the handle. I guess it will just take some getting used to but I hope I don't put too much strain on it that it causes the slider to malfunction.

Anybody else do this and have you combated a way of remembering not to do this. Even my passengers do it too because they like to rest their arm on something.
Old 11-02-06, 05:21 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't allow drinks in my cars, even my own. Yes I am a little crazy.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 11-02-06, 05:23 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do something similar to ruin my center console.. since i like to rest my elbow on the leather top of the console.. and after drivining for awhile.. it tends to imprint my elbow and into the leather and now i can feel like a small dip in the center console
Old 11-02-06, 05:26 PM
Poman
Driver School Candidate

Use the water bottle slot on the doors!
Old 11-02-06, 05:32 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larrym9681

Aloha,
Larry
Not too crazy, I can understand. I too tried to implement this rule but have compromised to covered drinks only

Originally Posted by vApor21
i do something similar to ruin my center console.. since i like to rest my elbow on the leather top of the console.. and after drivining for awhile.. it tends to imprint my elbow and into the leather and now i can feel like a small dip in the center console
Yeah I have the same thing. There is a nice little crease in the middle of the leather now.

Originally Posted by Poman
Use the water bottle slot on the doors!
I try but I find it too much of a hassle to use when driving. I drink a lot of water! Especially when driving. If I have two water bottles then I most definitely use the side holder.
Old 11-02-06, 05:33 PM
murph550
Driver

haha i do the same thing
Old 11-02-06, 06:25 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Aloha,
Larry
Not crazy at all. I also don't allow women to put on makeup in my car.
Old 11-02-06, 07:01 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Aloha,
Larry
I try that rule many years ago... but then I merried... and now I have a son... the rule was broken...
Old 11-02-06, 07:31 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

not food in the cabin period, neither me nor anyone else. food must go in the trunk.

the only drink allowed in the cabin is myself, covered, in the holders.
Old 11-02-06, 09:35 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

I just took out the cup holder gizmo in the center console so no drinks will go in there EVER... I use the bottle holders on the doors more quite often. Everytime I take my car and go out to eat, food always goes in the trunk if there are leftovers.
Old 11-03-06, 05:54 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

No food in ANY of my cars, period, end of discussion. Now I would allow coffee, in a sealed container ONLY, in my Camry. With the Lexus, only water and only in a sealed container.

OK, I admit I'm **** when it comes to my cars

Oh and, yeah, I've flipped the lid on the console a couple of times too... it doesn't look like it did any damage. I think Lexus designed the latches to release with a specific amount of pressure instead of failing.
Old 12-02-06, 08:01 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

yea, no food or drink for 30K miles in the new lex here. hopefully no girls with smirnoff ice will be in here during ownership.
Old 12-02-06, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,850 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Wow. It's a car. I bought it. I use it. I picnic in it. I take the seats out every 20k and shampoo/vacuum under them. Been doing this for years. But, I also watched the CB1100F I'd just spent 6 weeks restoring bouncing through the air like a toothpick after I fell off it. I got over the whole love for machine thing right then and there.

Oh, after I got the Supra back from the ex, I took the carpet out and cleaned it with laundry soap and a garden hose. Scrubbed it to death. Rinsed it for a half hour, then hung it up to dry for 2 days. The water was black because she'd spilled coffee and other things in it while she had it (before the judge gave it back to me.) It's good to know it will tolerate this kind of stuff.
Old 12-02-06, 08:20 PM
maz
Lead Lap

I always keep a bottle of arrowhead in the door bottle holder. I use the center carpeted cup holder to store loose change. And I never allow any food in the car (unless it is securely sealed). But generally I like to keep my car 100% clean and I don't like to have anything lying around in there. I use to have another extra water bottle in the passenger door bottle holder but it was making too much noise (by moving around) as I drove so I put it in the trunk.
Old 12-02-06, 08:49 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

You think thats bad, try the ES350. Not 100% thought through on Lexus part on either of the rides.

If you actually use the armrest to rest your arm while changing station, etc, your elbow hits the release for the auto-opening center storage area. Its so annoying, and just a crappy design.

I'm not impressed w/the lack of convenience features on the IS. GIve me some damn cup holders that I can use please.

Quick Reply: I always do this to my center console and it bugs me